The playoff committee is about to get tested

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
If you're saying this to counter someone's point of view, ignore my post. If you're saying this because that's the way it is, I respectfully disagree. A Conference Championship is the first of five criteria the Committee is mandated to take into account. It matters.
I am saying this because the winner may not even end up in a New Years 6. Let's say Wisky wins. Do they go to the Rose? Michigan did beat them. Let's say Penn State wins do they go to the playoff or the Rose? It just seems the games outcome doesn't matter.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I am saying this because the winner may not even end up in a New Years 6. Let's say Wisky wins. Do they go to the Rose? Michigan did beat them. Let's say Penn State wins do they go to the playoff or the Rose? It just seems the games outcome doesn't matter.
B1G Champ has an automatic tie-in with the Rose Bowl. They both want that.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
1st the game determines the B1G champ. That team goes to the Rose Bowl unless selected for the playoff.

Winning the the conference is still a big deal to me. I love the CCG's.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Why even play the B1G 10 championship game? It doesn't matter anyway who wins.
Same could be said about the SEC CG. Bama is in the playoffs regardless and even if UF wins, Bama still has a better conference record but wouldn't be the conference champion. The SEC CG is meaningless this year in the grand scheme of things, outside of getting the trophy.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Same could be said about the SEC CG. Bama is in the playoffs regardless and even if UF wins, Bama still has a better conference record but wouldn't be the conference champion. The SEC CG is meaningless this year in the grand scheme of things, outside of getting the trophy.
Irony? If we lose, it's theoretically possible we wind up in the......Sugar Bowl.

That is unreal.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I think that is the question that sent Saban off... but let's not derail a second thread [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
You could be right. My point in several posts within this thread is:

1. The Committee has published criteria they are mandated to follow
2. A Conference Championship is the first of five criteria they list - doesn't mean necessarily it carries more weight, but it MIGHT carry more weight since it's listed first above the other four. But it clearly matters to the committee or it would not be in the criteria; much less listed first
3. The Committee sets a high bar to overcome in regards to inserting a non-conference champion in the final 4 ahead of other conference champions - the non-CC has to be "unequivocally one of the 4 best teams in the country"

In addition to my point above, I would offer this for debate....Conference Championships are not awarded until the day before the final Committee Ranking . Given that, the Committee cannot factor CC's into their rankings until the very last ranking!!!! That's a recipe for crazy!!! In my feeble mind, that could create a lot of surprises this year after all the CC games are complete. I'm in the minority, I guess, but I'm expecting surprises on Dec 4 as a result of this.

While every year is unique, especially this one, consider this:

The 2014 CFP Final Four was Alabama, Oregon, Florida State, and Ohio State; all conference champions
The 2015 CFP Final Four was Clemson, Alabama, Michigan State, and Oklahoma; all conference champions

I'm not saying that all 4 teams in the 2016 CFB Final Four will be CC's, but I am saying don't be surprised if they are, especially if PSU beats Wisconsin.

Now, whether we all agree that would constitute the 4 best teams in America or not is a whole 'nother discussion.

Last edited:

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
They can say whatever they want and treat their own criteria however they want. When questioned, all they have to say is "the committee thought ____ and determined ____. Who's to challenge them?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If Florida wins they would jump Auburn and get into the Sugar, but a loss isn't going to keep Alabama from the playoffs.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Haven't read but a few of the later post but what folks need to understand is what we have here is not a true playoff where every conference/division champion automatically gets in plus a few wildcards. What we have here is nothing more than an expanded BCS. Instead of 2 teams we have a committee choosing 4. ;)

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Good post, and a couple of points in response as well as support.

Perhaps you don't realize what a non-conformist I am.
Au contraire....

I don't think naming a particular game anything actually should confer special privileges on it. I only truly value the results of a championship game if it ends with logically concluding one team is more deserving than the other. If I was to abandon all that came before it, I can do that. I find it hard to abandon a season's worth of results though.

That's one reason I don't care as much about the Saints Super Bowl win, or the Braves World Series win. I've come to bitterly resent both those processes. So, yes, I do say a word...
Well unfortunately for your non-conformity, that's the way it has always been. Unless one has a round robin (impossible with 128 teams) then some type of tournament has to be set up.

You have the good fortune of remembering almost everything, and the good fortune of not having participated in every discussion I've had on the BCS here. I have actually stated here before that it wasn't fair Alabama got a second shot against LSU (or that any team got that shot). It wasn't. LSU was undefeated, LSU played an extra game and won that one to, if they crowed them champion then and there what objection should I have had? The only objection would be the deviation from the process right? That we were in fact in the BCS era, that they had to follow the BCS protocol. Yet, I still had to recognize the fundamentally unfair position it put LSU in. LSU finished the year so clearly ahead of everyone else, with what was clearly the best resume. They crushed Oregon, they beat Alabama. They routed West Virginia and Georgia. To this day I contend they were one of the best BCS era teams and that remarkable season is also one reason Les Miles has my enduring respect.
Btw - I DO recall you posting on this, and I admire your consistency on the issue. You basically stated that while it's not like we on a half a championship and you were glad, it did not change your mind about the BCS. In fact, in 2012 when K-State and Oregon went down you put up a post about how this was never going to happen after 2013 with the new four-team playoff. It does but it doesn't.

To me, four is just right.

So, we are dealing with two things. One is the process itself. I supported the BCS because it did an ugly task as well as I thought anything could. Generally we didn't have such clear cut champions, and it sorted the mess out for us in fine fashion. But, I would have no problem with it simply going away when we didn't need it! Make no mistake about that. Look at this year, if Alabama beats Florida what need do we have of the BCS or of the playoff? None! The only reason we'd need either is if we want a chance to randomize the results a bit more, to dethrone the champion.
Yeah, but where I diver from you as that we don't really know if Alabama is better than Ohio State, the eyeball closest team to us. The press is going to play up that angle no doubt.

Yes I supported the BCS, as the best of an imperfect solution. Yes, I hold the playoff to a standard as well. They should choose the four most deserving teams, and they should have used the BCS formula to do that.
Total agreement on the last sentence.

Having said that, a while back I mentioned the possibility of Oklahoma getting in and then somehow beating Alabama in the final. Would I recognize a a 12-2 Oklahoma as deserving champion over 14-1 Alabama? I would have to respect it as the valid outcome of a playoff. However, logically I would contend Alabama was still the most deserving team. I would also lose some respect and appreciation for college football. How could I care as much about a regular season when the magic of placing special importance on other games overrules all of that?

I suppose I'm fairly unique in feeling that if the regular season doesn't matter as much, neither does the postseason...
Well, the beauty of CFB is that with MINIMAL playoff teams then BOTH the regular season AND the post-season mean as much as possible. Baseball plays too many meaningless games; I still recall when the NHL played 82 games to eliminate five teams and let the other 16 play a tournament. (Baseball also lost me in regular season viewing when they added the wildcard and made all 'pennant races' meaningless; I still have cherished memories of that 1993 dash to the flag between the Braves and Giants).

And I think conference championships are overrated anyway. They are a relic of the bowl system days. But Jim "Big Mouth" Delaney DESERVES for Ohio State to NOT get into the tournament this year because he's such a windbag. Wouldn't be fair to the Buckeyes, but Hypocrite Jim needs to take some Ex-Lax to solve his problem.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Good post, and a couple of points in response as well as support.

Au contraire....

Well unfortunately for your non-conformity, that's the way it has always been. Unless one has a round robin (impossible with 128 teams) then some type of tournament has to be set up.

Btw - I DO recall you posting on this, and I admire your consistency on the issue. You basically stated that while it's not like we on a half a championship and you were glad, it did not change your mind about the BCS. In fact, in 2012 when K-State and Oregon went down you put up a post about how this was never going to happen after 2013 with the new four-team playoff. It does but it doesn't.

To me, four is just right.

Yeah, but where I diver from you as that we don't really know if Alabama is better than Ohio State, the eyeball closest team to us. The press is going to play up that angle no doubt.

Total agreement on the last sentence.

Well, the beauty of CFB is that with MINIMAL playoff teams then BOTH the regular season AND the post-season mean as much as possible. Baseball plays too many meaningless games; I still recall when the NHL played 82 games to eliminate five teams and let the other 16 play a tournament. (Baseball also lost me in regular season viewing when they added the wildcard and made all 'pennant races' meaningless; I still have cherished memories of that 1993 dash to the flag between the Braves and Giants).

And I think conference championships are overrated anyway. They are a relic of the bowl system days. But Jim "Big Mouth" Delaney DESERVES for Ohio State to NOT get into the tournament this year because he's such a windbag. Wouldn't be fair to the Buckeyes, but Hypocrite Jim needs to take some Ex-Lax to solve his problem.
The problem with the conference championship setup is that more times than not you are going to get the 95 Arkansas vs Florida matchup than the 09 Florida vs Bama matchup. Meaning it's almost a meaningless game that winning really only gets you the trophy that you deserved regardless, and losing could potentially cost you like it did in 2001 with Tennessee. If we are to keep the Conference title I say we should get 1 and 2 to play instead of east and west, and force the other 5 conferences to follow suit. Then go to a 6 team playoff with 5 conference champs being 1-5 and 1 at large team selected by some bcs type formula. It fixes more than the current chaotic structure, and 6 should be the maximum we should have.

And before the ND question comes up... They either get in a conference or consistently fight for an at large bid. The days of rewarding the ND name should be over.

TampaTide813

Suspended
Dec 16, 2014
There is going to be a good bit of drama this year regardless of the committee's final four. I also think that it's a good year to show that the 8 team (5 P5 + 1 G5 + 2 at large) concept would get us no closer to determining a true champion than what we have now.

It could end up:

2 loss PSU/Wisky - definite
2 loss Colorado - toss-up
2 loss OU/OSU - definite
3 loss VA Tech - unlikely
3 loss UF - extremely unlikely
WMU
1 loss Bama
1 loss tOSU

With the exception of Bama and tOSU, which of those teams truly deserve to be in a single elimination playoff to be crowned national champion?

It would just increase the opportunities (fluke plays/injuries/officiating) for undeserving teams to back into a title. JMHO

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.