The Portal For An O Lineman ( or two ) ?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I know it`s relatively early, and I guess McVay leaning to Oregon (? Please, SJC, JB, correct me ) has me a bit spooked concerning O line, the U getting the kid with the Samoan name, etc. With that said, does anyone see us going to the portal? I can be a real eeyore with recruiting sometime!

• Smash Keyboard
Reactions: JustNeedMe81

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
I know it`s relatively early, and I guess McVay leaning to Oregon (? Please, SJC, JB, correct me ) has me a bit spooked concerning O line, the U getting the kid with the Samoan name, etc. With that said, does anyone see us going to the portal? I can be a real eeyore with recruiting sometime!
Correct on self assessment.

Reactions: bamadwain

BirminghamBAMA

1st Team
Dec 29, 2013
A week or so ago..Alinen was all Miami...I said...relax....recruiting is fluid. Now, the experts are flipping their predictions to Bama. I'm not buying the Oregon hype with McVay. He will visit Tuscaloosa again before he makes a decision.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
We've had 5-stars work out. We've had 5-stars bust. We've had 4-star All-Americas. We've had 4-star disappointments. Seth McLaughlin was a high 3-star / low 4-star project, and saved our bacon in the SECCG against UGA (his home-state flagship school).

OL is hard to project from HS to college, even for the greatest talent evaluator of all time. I've been disappointed in the development of the OL under previous coaching, and still view improvement in the front 5 as critical to our chances at an NC in the 2022 season.

A quick look at one service shows that there are only four 5-star OL recruits for December 2022 / February 2023. Other services may disagree slightly on the total, but they'll be close enough for discussion purposes.

Regardless of the exact count, I don't think we need to hoist the white flag if we don't get any of 4 +/- guys, who at this point in time have not played a single down of their senior year of high school ball.

Sure, I'd like to have all four 5-star OLs. That's not going to happen. I'll be happy if we get 3-4 guys Nick Saban is happy with.

Last edited:

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
We will likely have 5 high quality lineman in this class as usual. If saban look at guys in the portal it will be because there are guys worth looking at as usual. We are in line for a top 5 recruiting class.

Its is time to chill fellas.

Reactions: TiderJack

Latest threads

Shop the TideFans.shop !

Your purchase through our TideFans.shop links helps support the site! Thanks!