The SEC on CBS is nearing its end; CBS exits talks w/SEC

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I guess I’m in the vast minority here in that I don’t like this. We (the SEC) had our own dedicated major network in CBS. ABC/ESPN is crowded. I think we lose some visibility and some prestige with this move.
The problem is that each major conference that has a marquee game of the week station has a double header that allows for better times.... except the SEC. I don't particularly like Gary, but the bigger issue for me is that CBS gets to decide when the best game is played with one night option. If they picked up a 1 pm, or 12 pm game like Fox, ESPN, and FS1 with a quality pregame show then I think it would've helped alleviate some major frustrations with the product.

From all that Ive read, ESPN/ABC will make better kickoff times for the bigger games, and be more fair to teams in September. If both are true then its probably a homerun

Reactions: Con

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’d take Nessler and Gary over Mowins, McElroy, Mark Jones, etc

Plus Fowler (to me) is a little douchy as of late. More and more each year.
I would take more 4 and 6pm games over being handcuffed to 2:30, 11am, and 8 pm games. CBS getting first decision (and the only one they are obligated to take with the exception of 2 weeks) and getting to decide what games can be played within the conference at the same time is a bad deal. If it wasn't for those 2 things, I would be all for CBS coming back.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I would take more 4 and 6pm games over being handcuffed to 2:30, 11am, and 8 pm games. CBS getting first decision (and the only one they are obligated to take with the exception of 2 weeks) and getting to decide what games can be played within the conference at the same time is a bad deal. If it wasn't for those 2 things, I would be all for CBS coming back.
And to me it sounded like they didn’t really want to keep the SEC. They were pretty inflexible in these discussions.

Reactions: 81usaf92

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We (the SEC) had our own dedicated major network in CBS. ABC/ESPN is crowded. I think we lose some visibility and some prestige with this move.
Your "prestige" comes from your success on the field. Start losing and that drops off a cliff no matter who is showing your games on TV. Keep winning championships and the image of the conference will not be diminished.

People watch the best SEC game every week because of the quality of play. They know that those teams are going to be in the hunt for championships. They also know that those players will soon be playing for their favorite NFL team. I know guys who watch SEC and B1G football and don't care about college football. They watch for the same reasons that we watch HS recruits play - keeping an eye on future NFL players.

Reactions: Con

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And to me it sounded like they didn’t really want to keep the SEC. They were pretty inflexible in these discussions.
I think that they have real bean counters. Most of these contracts are losing money for their networks. CBS cannot afford to lose money on a football contract - Disney can.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Gary and Verne never bothered me. The only announcer I have ever despised was Mussberger.

With ABC/ESPN/Disney taking over the entire SEC package, this will give them greater flexibility in carrying our games.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
People have hit on the big gain by going ESPN-only. Our best games won’t be locked into a 2:30PM CT kickoff.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think that they have real bean counters. Most of these contracts are losing money for their networks. CBS cannot afford to lose money on a football contract - Disney can.
The problem is they rather keep the NFL than the SEC. Disney was going to get one of them at the very least.

Reactions: B1GTide

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My only concern is if they use this to push more of the games on cable, ESPN has a habit of doing that then reporting that ratings are down...

If the SEC keeps the same number of broadcast games (and I hope that's part of the deal, a minimum number) then I'm ok with it.
This might answer the question.

ESPN won the conference over with its argument that it can be more creative with scheduling when it controls all of the rights. With ESPN owning all of the SEC’s football rights, it’s possible that more than one game will be produced for broadcast TV; more top-tier games can be moved to primetime; and the conference can schedule more late afternoon games without having to worry about running into CBS’ exclusive window. SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey has been concerned about all of the league’s rights being tied up with ABC/ESPN because of the leverage it would give the media company, sources said. It is not known if ESPN opened up its contract to operate SEC Network or its cable rights as part of these negotiations. Those contracts run through 2034.
I think getting the CBS time slot requirements out of the way opens up for better slots. Really what hurt us the most was when UGA and ND went to primetime we got put in a bad slot to avoid competing with that game's ratings.

Reactions: KrAzY3

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm ready for a change away from the 2:30 games. I would like to see the SEC "Game of the Day" be a prime time night game. And by that I don't mean an 8 o'clock game. But a 7:00 pm game. These 2:30 games ruin my Saturday's because you either can't much plan anything, have to decide to basically not watch the game and DVR, or partially watch the game live and DVR the rest. We've done this long enough. Time for a change.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm ready for a change away from the 2:30 games. I would like to see the SEC "Game of the Day" be a prime time night game. And by that I don't mean an 8 o'clock game. But a 7:00 pm game. These 2:30 games ruin my Saturday's because you either can't much plan anything, have to decide to basically not watch the game and DVR, or partially watch the game live and DVR the rest. We've done this long enough. Time for a change.
The reason they picked 2:30 is where ESPN couldn’t roll out a 1, 4, and 7pm SEC weekend with the #2 and #3 games of the day.

I think the problem with 2:30 is that it is hot as hell in September and it doesn’t give a lot wiggle room between having a 11am game or 8pm game on a big Saturday.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
I do like the flexibility and the exposure but <reaches for tin foil hat> I don't like the seemingly monopoly that ESPN/ABC is developing. The mouses appetite is ravenous.
Not only ESPN/ABC but their parent Disney as well, they're taking over the Entertainment business like Amazon is taking over Online and Grocery Shopping.

The flexibility is cool I just wish that another network other than ABC/ESPN
would be pick up our games as well.

I’d take Nessler and Gary over Mowins, McElroy, Mark Jones, etc

Plus Fowler (to me) is a little douchy as of late. More and more each year.
While true, gotta give a mention to Steve Levy and Brian Griese, those two are AWFUL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.