The SEC on CBS is nearing its end; CBS exits talks w/SEC

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Not only ESPN/ABC but their parent Disney as well, they're taking over the Entertainment business like Amazon is taking over Online and Grocery Shopping.

The flexibility is cool I just wish that another network other than ABC/ESPN
would be pick up our games as well.

While true, gotta give a mention to Steve Levy and Brian Griese, those two are AWFUL.
Fox was the other competitor.... while Fox does a lot better presentation than anyone I think I rather have Beth mowins calling my games than Tim Brando. At least she tries to be entertaining and an unbiased observer

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
More money to the university members doesn’t come from nowhere. That money is going to come from charging the customer more for access and advertising at them more thus costing the customer more of their time.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The only negative I see is that people will have to purchase Disney+ to watch Bama whereas with CBS everyone could watch their games. Tough for people with limited resources.
Disney + doesn’t have a TV service unless you count Hulu. I doubt even if they go to that, that they would undercut the SECN.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Disney + doesn’t have a TV service unless you count Hulu. I doubt even if they go to that, that they would undercut the SECN.
I think the assumption is that espn+ is going to be built into the future conference contracts as they start bifurcating their own product into cable and streaming then eventually to all streaming.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Hot take: Beth Mowins is not even in the bottom half of ESPN’s college football commentators. Some of the non-P5 tier crews are amateurish if not worse. You’re never going to confuse Mowins with Nessler but she kinda takes more crap than she deserves. There are so many worse than her amongst just her ESPN CFB peers.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Hot take: Beth Mowins is not even in the bottom half of ESPN’s college football commentators. Some of the non-P5 tier crews are amateurish if not worse. You’re never going to confuse Mowins with Nessler but she kinda takes more crap than she deserves. There are so many worse than her amongst just her ESPN CFB peers.
I agree, I think the criticism she gets is more of a meme than anything, I never heard a Bama game she called and thought "man she's bad I got to mute her".

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I hate that we are going to lose Nessler as the top game play-by-play commentator but I’ve just soured on Danielson after defending him for years. He has an attitude that I can best describe as him being a part of the SEC institution that just bugs me. His attempts to goad the SEC office into ringing in a officiating review - where it seems like he’s almost directly talking to the head of officiating - just annoys me and crosses a line between commentating and asserting your place in the conference itself.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Hope this does not mean more of our games on cable rather than local tv. Wish Fox would get that package. Like what they are doing with their college games.
Seriously? I have just the opposite opinion. It’s a bunch of wannabe NFL announcers. I hate watching games on Fox, although they do have good cameras.

Reactions: bama2112

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Seriously? I have just the opposite opinion. It’s a bunch of wannabe NFL announcers. I hate watching games on Fox, although they do have good cameras.
Fox's big upsides are better pre and in between commenting, and better time slots. But the issues mostly revolve around who you are certain to get commentating. Namely Brando....

OSUTideFan

All-American
Dec 17, 2019
Indiana
Serious question. Please pardon my ignorance on this matter. Is there a difference in game length between FBS football games on cable/premium networks, and free broadcast networks? Does ESPN, for example, have fewer commercial breaks? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Con

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Musburger is retired. He is involved in some gambling show now, I think I heard him on a Sirius radio show.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I guess I’m in the vast minority here in that I don’t like this. We (the SEC) had our own dedicated major network in CBS. ABC/ESPN is crowded. I think we lose some visibility and some prestige with this move.
And I'm going to MISS the sound of that music when the "SEC on CBS" comes on each week! I just love the sound of that music. Yep! We had a NETWORK ALL to ourselves and now that ends. Someone please link the sound of that music to my ears. So sad!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
What I do not like about ESPN is you DVR a game as scheduled and then because of time constraints and a game prior to the game you are DVRing ends much later and the game you are DVRing starts on another ESPN channel!!!!!!!

Reactions: prattalumni

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Oh, how I'm going to miss that SOUND! As it states, a Saturday TRADITION! I love TRADITION!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I hate that we are going to lose Nessler as the top game play-by-play commentator but I’ve just soured on Danielson after defending him for years. He has an attitude that I can best describe as him being a part of the SEC institution that just bugs me. His attempts to goad the SEC office into ringing in a officiating review - where it seems like he’s almost directly talking to the head of officiating - just annoys me and crosses a line between commentating and asserting your place in the conference itself.
I agree. A few times this year, I found myself thinking "Just who the hell does he think he is?" Of course, it bothered me a lot more when the review went our way and he kept arguing it...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.