Politics: The Trump Impeachment Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
It is being widely reported that Speaker Pelosi will announce a formal impeachment inquiry today. Someone who has trouble with compliments suggested it, Earle seconded it, so I'm creating it.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/24/politics/democrats-impeachment-strategy/index.html

Nancy Pelosi is expected to announce launch of formal impeachment inquiry Tuesday afternoon

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is expected to announce a formal impeachment inquiry later Tuesday, multiple sources on Capitol Hill tell CNN.Pelosi had earlier said she would make an announcement at 5 p.m. ET.
Amid dozens of Democratic lawmakers opening the door to impeachment proceedings, Pelosi is consulting Tuesday afternoon with the six House Democratic leaders to discuss their presentation to the caucus later in the day, Democratic sources familiar with the issue say. The speaker has been on the phone with her colleagues over the last several days to take the temperature of the whistleblower complaint as she decides whether to embrace impeachment, Democrats say.
Apparently, democrats draw the line at the president asking a foreign nation (Ukraine) to interfere with our upcoming election in 2020 for his own personal benefit. Good to know there is a line.

This thread is NOT for the wider politics. The thread is focused on the impeachment process, information, news, events, opinions, and so forth.

Play nicely or go (or be sent) home.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
One aspect that stands out to me:

After all this angst & drama over whether to impeach him over 2016 election rigging with Russia, he's done the same thing again. He seemed determined to slap the country until we run out of cheeks to turn. In other words, it's an imperial Presidency with no restraints or bust for Trump. Nothing in between.

He's left the timid Dems no alternative, let's hope they had time to get their ducks in a row and have effective hearings.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I think it was the deal with Ukraine that prompted the action. I saw a report just now that the whistleblower will testify to the House Committee soon, perhaps this week. Meanwhile, the Senate voted unanimously to give the whistleblower's report to the relevant committees in Congress.

This snowball has finally started rolling downhill.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I have to wonder if this will make the Republicans more open to a real primary or if they will ride with trump to the bitter end.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I have concerns about moving forward with impeachment.

For one thing, it will probably wind up just being symbolic. The Democrats control the House 235-199 with one Republican turned independent. So they will probably get the 218 votes needed to impeach him.

But to remove him from office, they need 67 votes in the Senate. There are only 47 Democrats in the Senate. So you need at least 20 Republicans to vote him out of office. (I wouldn’t bet my life on Manchin voting guilty, though he doesn’t run again until 2024).

I think it would take a lot to get a huge number of Republicans to go against Trump. Most of them come from states Trump won easily in 2016. There will be 23 Republican seats up in 2020, including two special elections in Arizona and Georgia. Pretty sure they don’t want a primary challenge.

For that matter, is the Senate even required to hold a trial if he is impeached?

I think the whole thing could result in making Trump a martyr and galvanize his base. If the Democrats nominate someone too far left, it could tilt the balance to re-elect him.

And since the whole Ukraine mess involves Joe Biden, it could uncover some dirt they don’t want uncovered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I was excited when I read the headline. I thought the Republicans might actually be turning on him. Then I saw the resolution is nonbinding. That means they can pretend to show teeth without actually injuring him.
Agree - but the fact they would do this shows, well, something. If nothing else maybe they know how bad this looks and want to distance themselves?

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Agree - but the fact they would do this shows, well, something. If nothing else maybe they know how bad this looks and want to distance themselves?
On the looking bad I am not sure. I think with them having the majority in the Senate they may be able to put up roadblocks everywhere from information coming out. They could maybe spin it into " the mean Ole democrats are picking on us white Christians again". The base would eat it like pie.

Reactions: Chukker Veteran

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
On the looking bad I am not sure. I think with them having the majority in the Senate they may be able to put up roadblocks everywhere from information coming out. They could maybe spin it into " the mean Ole democrats are picking on us white Christians again". The base would eat it like pie.
Touché. I'm ever the optimist, so that's probably why I thought it potentially good. But it's an admittedly naive thing to consider, with recent history.

I've got no agenda, I just want the truth to come out. And if that truth shows that Trump broke the law, throw his butt in jail. Unfortunately, politics is a messy business - few really want the truth.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
So the Senate voted unanimously in support of the House requiring the White House to furnish the full, un-redacted, whistleblower report to Congress. While that is encouraging; something smells fishy about this. Why would the Senate Republicans willingly cooperate in this matter? They must know that the report is not as damning as the media and most Democrats believe it to be. McConnell and his cronies are not stupid, they obviously know something the Democrats don't know and so does Trump.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: UAH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.