Politics: The Trump Impeachment Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Just remember the sequence everyone:

1) He denies whatever it is (if someone said he was alive, he'd deny it)
2) He then says he's willing to give up whatever is being asked for
3) His lackey then releases a redacted copy of a transcript
4) he uses a memorable phrase EXPLICITLY denying whatever it is (as opposed to the Nixon-Clintonian "nondenial denial")
5) he then says whatever is a "witch hunt"
6) he threatens to sue whomever
7) he finally surrenders whatever it is he has to
8) he admits to the thing of which he was first accused and says it's all part of his genius

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Sondland Updates Impeachment Testimony

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/05/us/politics/impeachment-trump.html?auth=login-google&login=google

WASHINGTON — A critical witness in the impeachment inquiry offered Congress substantial new testimony this week, revealing that he told a top Ukrainian official that the country likely would not receive American military aid unless it publicly committed to investigations President Trump wanted.

The disclosure from Gordon D. Sondland, the United States ambassador to the European Union, in four new pages of sworn testimony released on Tuesday, confirmed his involvement in essentially laying out a quid pro quo to Ukraine that he had previously not acknowledged.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Sondland said:
I now do recall a conversation on September 1, 2019, in Warsaw with Mr. Yermak. This brief pull-aside conversation followed the larger meeting involving Vice President Pence and President Zelensky, in which President Zelensky had raised the issue of the suspension of U.S. aid to Ukraine directly with Vice President Pence. After that large meeting, I now recall speaking individually with Mr. Yermak, where I said that resumption of U.S. aid would likely not occur until Ukraine provided the public anti-corruption statement that we had been discussing for many weeks. I also recall some questions as to whether the public statement could come from the newly appointed Ukrainian Prosecutor General, rather than from President Zelensky directly.
There Pence is again.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I'm not familiar with this site but saw these links on Reddit. This is why I have zero faith that enough GOP would switch sides and vote to remove in the Senate, they have nothing to fear from this base.

Poll: 62% of Trump supporters say nothing he could do would change opinion

Trump's approval rating among Republicans has never dipped below 79%

Blind loyalty drives me crazy. From politics to TVs, why people show so much loyalty to things that show them none back is just confusing. It's one thing to have a preference, it's another thing to think that your preference is the only correct choice.

This country is doomed if the the future of politics remains so polarized without any compromise. It's fine to have your beliefs but, if no one is willing to come to the middle from time to time, then there is nothing that can save this country. Not a new Dem president or a new GOP president.

Honestly, I don't know how we began to fix this attitude or if it is even possible.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm not familiar with this site but saw these links on Reddit. This is why I have zero faith that enough GOP would switch sides and vote to remove in the Senate, they have nothing to fear from this base.

Poll: 62% of Trump supporters say nothing he could do would change opinion

Trump's approval rating among Republicans has never dipped below 79%

Blind loyalty drives me crazy. From politics to TVs, why people show so much loyalty to things that shown them none back is just confusing. It's one thing to have a preference, it's another thing to think that your preference is the only correct choice.

This country is doomed if the the future of politics remains so polarized without any compromise. It's fine to have your beliefs but, if no one is willing to come to the middle from time to time, then there is nothing that can save this country. Not a new Dem president or a new GOP president.

Honestly, I don't know how we began to fix this attitude or if it is even possible.
i think it is very much possible. it is a relatively small group of people intent on gumming up the works and pretending that government has no legitimate role unless they are running it. the moral majority, fox news, talk radio, all of the various foundations, etc. have poured hundreds of billions of dollars (and probably much more) into sowing division over the past four decades

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
From NYT

House Committees will hold the first public hearings in the impeachment inquiry next week.

House Democrats will begin convening public impeachment hearings next week, they announced on Wednesday, initially calling three marquee witnesses to begin making a case for President Trump’s impeachment in public.
The hearings will kick off on Wednesday, with testimony from William B. Taylor Jr., the top American envoy in Ukraine, and George Kent, a top State Department official, said Representative Adam B. Schiff, Democrat of California and the chairman of the Intelligence Committee. On Friday, Mr. Schiff’s committee will hear from Marie L. Yovanovitch, the former American ambassador to Ukraine, he said.
“More to come,” Mr. Schiff added on Twitter.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
and the trumpies still don't care
To the contrary...I've concluded that the more disgusting and outlandish the behavior coming from the orange disgrace the better. As long as it keeps normal people upset, it's great.

Kind of like if Trump were filmed dining on live kittens, his base would think "How wonderful, let those dang libs deal with this!" (giggle, giggle.)

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I forget who it was but, this morning on WSFA, I saw a clip of a GOP senator saying "I have made up my own mind about the call and nothing that comes out will change it. The call was just fine." How can you even respond to this kind of ignorance.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Trump Jr. just tweeted out the name of the whistleblower, which I will not propagate.
This whole obsession on the right with the whistleblower is ridiculous and actually a moot point now. Everything that this person said has been corroborated by numerous sources and is now understood to be fact. One source, EU ambassador Sondland, is actually a million dollar donor to Trump.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
This whole obsession on the right with the whistleblower is ridiculous and actually a moot point now. Everything that this person said has been corroborated by numerous sources and is now understood to be fact. One source, EU ambassador Sondland, is actually a million dollar donor to Trump.

they have to have a boogeyman so they have to do this

it is stupid, but then again their base is stupid so it will work

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
So now Lindsey is claiming that Trump must be innocent, because he's too incompetent to formulate a quid pro quo.

Graham said one of the reasons he doesn't think President Trump deserves to be impeached is because there's little chance the Trump administration was savvy enough in the first place to come up with the idea of withholding military aid from Ukraine in exchange for Kyiv publicly announcing anti-corruption investigations.
Ever wonder if we're all stuck in a demented revival of Candid Camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.