Link: The Value of the Mid-Range Jumper

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Getting someone that hit that Mid-Range would really be a missing piece of the puzzle. I was thinking back to the Auburn game where the inside game was taken away. Get the "Metagame" going!

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Well, he's not coaching them to hit the mid-range shot. If one happens when the clock runs out, then OK...
I wonder if it's a matter of him looking at past performance of the current roster (ie .. shot selection) and where they tend to shoot the ball better? It will be interesting to see where this strategy goes in the upcoming years as we get new talent.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I wonder if it's a matter of him looking at past performance of the current roster (ie .. shot selection) and where they tend to shoot the ball better? It will be interesting to see where this strategy goes in the upcoming years as we get new talent.
I thought his philosophy was anything close to the basketball and 3’s based on analysis of what has the highest percentage of scoring the most. I believe it was anything above 35% from 3 and 60% from the 2 range, but I may be miss remembering.

Reactions: Ldlane

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
One needs to watch it and hear his qualifiers...
A few random thoughts.

He references the Spurs mid-range game which is in large part Lamarcus Aldridge (a near 7 footer) hitting elbow twos. He also mentions Durant, another 7 footer.

I’ve been watching Moreyball for years (the Rockets). What they do a lot better than us is draw fouls (Harden shoots almost as many free throws as some teams). They have recently doubled down and the biggest guy they start now is only 6-7. A lot of what we do (and is somewhat the genesis of Moreyball) is what Dantonio was doing years ago with the Suns. They did have a mid range game last year (Chris Paul shoots a lot from around the FT line) but that has gone away with the Westbrook trade.

The biggest issue with this is the difference in college and pro defensIve rules. You can’t camp out on defense in the lane in pro like in college. JMO but I think the desire for mid range is because we don’t draw contact on drives that well. Or maybe we just don’t get the calls.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The current roster really has nothing to do with it IMO. It is just CNO's offensive philosophy and like Earle said they only time we will see anything mid-range is if the clock is about to expire. I believe it is the trend of basketball and Bama is setting the trend in college in some ways.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
The current roster really has nothing to do with it IMO. It is just CNO's offensive philosophy and like Earle said they only time we will see anything mid-range is if the clock is about to expire. I believe it is the trend of basketball and Bama is setting the trend in college in some ways.
I think it's cool either way and a breath of fresh air! I never even thought about his "philosophy"' until I watched the first game this year.

Reactions: TiderJack

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.