Question: The WAY TOO EARLY (who will be the QUARTERBACK in 2023) thread

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
It really depends on the new OC and how well the guys adjust to the play calling.

I think Milroe is very raw but that could be because BoB just sucks at development and calling plays. I mean a good deal of Bama fans took Blake’s seemingly limitations under Nuss’s system as gospel that he couldn’t be a good quarterback, but look what Kiffin did in a year. Simpson does have better accuracy and arm talent but the fact he was 3rd all year could be a sign that he just isn’t ready.

However… if we are being honest no one should be surprised if Holstein is the guy at this point.
Simpson never got a shot. That is why he is 3rd. Monroe was 1st in line. Jalen is better than we have seen...but he has to improve. I don't take his Sugar Bowl time as being an indicator. I think the ignition switch was turned to OFF the second Bryce came out of the game.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Yea but he could be 2 time national champion
Because he is like Greg McElroy - playing on a good team; though I know that Bennet is better. SB doesn’t compare to Bryce but he is part of what is momentarily a better program. Mahomes played on a college team that won 4, 7 & 5 games. And he looked fabulous the little I saw him play but his team was not good.

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
Well 1) On that 4th down play Ohio st had 12 men on the field and 2) injuries are a part of the game.

The difference in Georgia now as opposed to a few years ago is that they have an offensive coordinator that doesn’t freak out when someone punks their defense. They still scored with Ohio st and were down multiple touchdowns a few times monken deserves alot of credit for that win
Point taken on the 4th down play. But a PF on the receiver hit likely would have been enough.
Injuries are part of the game, yes. Most can be overcome. But enough injuries to erase 80% of your pass production, that's too much to ask even for Monken.

Why didn't we make the playoffs in 2019? Couldn't be because Tua was injured twice and missed a lot of time (like Bryce this year) before being lost for the rest of the season. Because injuries are part of the game.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Simpson never got a shot. That is why he is 3rd. Monroe was 1st in line. Jalen is better than we have seen...but he has to improve. I don't take his Sugar Bowl time as being an indicator. I think the ignition switch was turned to OFF the second Bryce came out of the game.
Switch flipped or not, he either didnt give a rip about making that throw or he was too afraid to throw it. It was a simple route and he either didnt put any legs into the throw, was afraid to make it, or was told to throw it in the ground. Those are the only explanations that could be for that throw. It. Was. Horrendous.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Switch flipped or not, he either didnt give a rip about making that throw or he was too afraid to throw it. It was a simple route and he either didnt put any legs into the throw, was afraid to make it, or was told to throw it in the ground. Those are the only explanations that could be for that throw. It. Was. Horrendous.
I assume you are speaking on Jalen's only pass in the Sugar Bowl? Yeah it was...bad and he agrees I am sure. What I was talking about was about Simpson being 3rd. I don't see him on the bench. I would hate to make that decision..but it will need to be made. I would expect Simpson to hit the portal if he goes into 1st game as 2nd. JMO. I never want any of our players to leave. I have no idea what he might do...but I believe that young man is a winner. Jalen is very talented I think. We will see what happens with the Coordinators.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
History has shown us that we need to have 2 qbs ready to play as injuries have played a big part with Alabama over the past 5 years or so. Both need to be ready at all times. Hopefully the #2 doesn't bolt to the transfer portal because they aren't named the day 1 starter. rtr

Bill from NYC

Scout Team
Dec 24, 2020
If my life depended on it I would guess that Simpson will start. Will Anderson said some good things about him.

That said, if you haven't yet; do watch some tape on Holstein. He has a wicked arm, nice touch, and is big. He isn't a scrambler but he can run. Holstein has all the talent in the world.

Milroe has talent as well but i wouldn't want him in the game when we need to come from behind. He has great arm strength and can run like a deer, but he doesn't appear to be a passer.

Jmo.

Reactions: bamacon

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I have seen enough of J Milroe to tell you that if Ty Simpson is not as far along in the passing skills department as Milroe, we are in for a world of hurt next season offensively. Milroe needs to improve lightyears in the passing game to give us a shot at winning and being competitive in the SEC next season.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Some people that know more than I do when it comes to scouting high school QBs are really high on Ty Simpson and think he will be very good very quickly.

I hope they are right and it feels believable kinda like it did with Bryce even though its a big question mark right now.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
That said, if you haven't yet; do watch some tape on Holstein. He has a wicked arm, nice touch, and is big. He isn't a scrambler but he can run. Holstein has all the talent in the world.

Jmo.
The most impressive things (imo) in this video is his ability to keep his eyes downfield, even when scrambling or when there's a lot of clutter in the pocket, and watch how many times he chooses to step up in the pocket compared to bailing out the sides. The stepping up in the pocket and keeping eyes downfield is what impresses me the most about him. He appears to be a very promising player.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I have seen enough of J Milroe to tell you that if Ty Simpson is not as far along in the passing skills department as Milroe, we are in for a world of hurt next season offensively. Milroe needs to improve lightyears in the passing game to give us a shot at winning and being competitive in the SEC next season.
Yeah...wasnt saying he has been great. I really don't understand why Simpson has seen so.little time. No doubt Milroe has not had a good year.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Been saying this since Kirby left for UGA they look exactly like the Bama teams from 2011, 12, etc.... Kirby stole the Blueprint.
And he’s a Jameson Williams awkward landing from having nothing to show for it.

If he took the same step Saban did I don’t think he would have the same results.

Reactions: The Ols

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Guys, Milroe likely won’t even be on the team next year. It’s Simpson’s job to lose IMO.
I would not say things so definitive. Most fans thought Blake Sims would never start. Most even said that if he did, we were "in trouble". Most fans thought Bryce would overtake Mac Jones before October. Nothing is certain. Self brag, I was behind Blake and Mac from the start and that was incredibly rare.

Now having said all of that, Milroe would have to improe a whole bunch to keep me from yelling some bad words. Also, if Simpson is this great and awesome QB that a lot of you claim he is, shouldn't he have started the game that Bryce didn't?

Reactions: seebell

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I would not say things so definitive. Most fans thought Blake Sims would never start. Most even said that if he did, we were "in trouble". Most fans thought Bryce would overtake Mac Jones before October. Nothing is certain. Self brag, I was behind Blake and Mac from the start and that was incredibly rare.

Now having said all of that, Milroe would have to improe a whole bunch to keep me from yelling some bad words. Also, if Simpson is this great and awesome QB that a lot of you claim he is, shouldn't he have started the game that Bryce didn't?
I hear you, but the bottom line is Milroe is not a passer. You cannot play QB in modern college football if you aren’t a passer. He could improve, and I really hope he does. I would love for him to follow in another Jalen’s footsteps, but I don’t see it.

Reactions: Cruloc

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Also, if Simpson is this great and awesome QB that a lot of you claim he is, shouldn't he have started the game that Bryce didn't?
Maybe CNS felt like we could win that game with Milroe and preserve the redshirt for Simpson?

Reactions: Con

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Jmo.
I agree with this. I think the true battle will be between Ty and Eli. Ask most people in LA and they say they would take Eli over Arch Manning 10 out of 10 times. He looks a LOT like Bryce did but with a bigger frame. Great accuracy, maneuvers the pocket well, and delivers the deep ball exceptionally well. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.