Question: The WAY TOO EARLY (who will be the QUARTERBACK in 2023) thread

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Holstein has been noted as a top notch athlete with a rifle for an arm. With a new OC doing the evaluating, etc., the playing field will be really level. I would not bet against him...but Ty Simpson is the best bet. JM will have to show that he can throw under pressure...
And on time, and with accuracy. He should be outside throwing at tires as we speak

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Holstein has been noted as a top notch athlete with a rifle for an arm. With a new OC doing the evaluating, etc., the playing field will be really level. I would not bet against him...but Ty Simpson is the best bet. JM will have to show that he can throw under pressure...
Holstein has tons of potential for sure. He reminds me of Andruw Luck with his footwork and mechanics.

Lonergan also has a lot of upside.

But Ty is the highest rated of them and at the college level has a chance to be THE TRUTH.

In HS he looked on par with Manziel and Mahomes for escapability and creating on the fly.

I still can't believe how little he got to really play this past season.

He is Phenomenally gifted.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
One thing is for certain, the QB race is WIDE OPEN for the taking with a new coach coming to campus. Evan a true frosh can take the reigns if he has the Moxy Should be one of the more interesting Spring/Fall camps we've seen in quite a while in T-Town at the QB position.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Holstein has tons of potential for sure. He reminds me of Andruw Luck with his footwork and mechanics.

Lonergan also has a lot of upside.

But Ty is the highest rated of them and at the college level has a chance to be THE TRUTH.

In HS he looked on par with Manziel and Mahomes for escapability and creating on the fly.

I still can't believe how little he got to really play this past season.

He is Phenomenally gifted.
Keep an eye on Holstein, I think it is very likely he will be the backup to Simpson, but if Simpson isn't careful Holstein could win the job. Fundamentally, Holstein right now is further along than several qb's already on our roster not named Ty Simpson and I'm not sure if Simpson is THAT much ahead of him. His footwork in the pocket, pocket awareness, and ability to know when to step up in the pocket rather than run is very, very impressive. I watched him play live and I'm telling you, he is already a mature and advanced QB for a kid entering his freshman year of college.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Keep an eye on Holstein, I think it is very likely he will be the backup to Simpson, but if Simpson isn't careful Holstein could win the job. Fundamentally, Holstein right now is further along than several qb's already on our roster not named Ty Simpson and I'm not sure if Simpson is THAT much ahead of him. His footwork in the pocket, pocket awareness, and ability to know when to step up in the pocket rather than run is very, very impressive. I watched him play live and I'm telling you, he is already a mature and advanced QB for a kid entering his freshman year of college.
After watching EH's tape I was genuinely impressed. I think Simpson has the advantage at this point...but a Simpson/Holstein combo will have Rees excited IMO!

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Jayden Daniels was pretty good as a freshman at ASU. 4th year as a college QB at LSU? 2900 yards, 17 TDs, 3 INTs. 1st year as a college QB at Arizona State? 2900 yards, 17 TDs, 2 INTs.

That said, I expect Bama's QBs to be better than Jayden Daniels. Daniels would be the worst QB to play significant time at Alabama in over a decade.
He had a great game against Bama, but are we sure Daniels will finish as the QB? JD is a better dual threat, but LSU has a better QB on their roster. Anyway, that said, JM is no JD.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

BigPoppa52

3rd Team
Oct 25, 2020
He had a great game against Bama, but are we sure Daniels will finish as the QB? JD is a better dual threat, but LSU has a better QB on their roster. Anyway, that said, JM is no JD.
So did the kid, Ashford(?) at Auburn, but I'm not so sure that wasn't a function of a pathetically imagined defensive strategy at least as much as individual talent.

Reactions: Padreruf

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I have been a strong advocate of Simpson watching his motion when he is in the pocket or on the move. He has been coached from the time he could walk by a dad who insisted on him having a classic and very efficient throwing motion. It is difficult to overcome a QB that can push the ball downfield and escape the pocket and throw on the move. That has been my bias so I went back to look at the limited amount of tape on Milroe, mainly high school. He isn't smooth in the pocket and lacks a refined throwing motion. His strong positive is that he is so athletic and explosive on the move and has been compared to Lamar Jackson only bigger, faster and better arm. He will absolutely stay in the mix through the season provided he continues to develop. IMO.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
I would be really surprised if a true freshman plays much.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
So did the kid, Ashford(?) at Auburn, but I'm not so sure that wasn't a function of a pathetically imagined defensive strategy at least as much as individual talent.
Well yeah, that’s why I asked are we sure he will finish as a starter..ie, he isn’t that great IMO

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I’m reminded of the talk of true freshman Bryce Young displacing Mac Jones, a 5th year senior.

True, Simpson is in only his third spring, but the analogy still holds.

Milroe will need to improve decision-making under pressure, passing accuracy and touch, and learn from his mistakes. IOW, not repeat them. Young players are going to make mistakes. The good ones don’t repeat them, especially within 15 minutes of the first one. Milroe failed that standard in his lone start against aTm. It’s possible he could improve, but he’ll need to come a long way in a short time.

It would appear that Saban wants to get back to a 2008-11 style, obviously with some more modern stuff mixed in. I don’t see Milroe’s skill set at the QB position as fitting that philosophy.

We’ll see how events in the spring shake out. But my personal wholly uninformed guess is that Simpson emerges after A-Day as the starter, with Milroe as the backup and Holstein as #3. If Milroe transfers (and he might), elevate Holstein to #2.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I would be really surprised if a true freshman plays much.
If Simpson does what he's supposed to do Holstein won't beat him out. But if Simpson doesn't he may have a true "QB battle" on his hands because Holstein is not coming to Tuscaloosa to sit the bench. He's a very hard worker and puts in the off-the-field work to get better. He probably won't start, but I can tell you he will make it very clear from day one, he is there to play and not hold a clip board. (y)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.