Question: The WAY TOO EARLY (who will be the QUARTERBACK in 2023) thread

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I’m reminded of the talk of true freshman Bryce Young displacing Mac Jones, a 5th year senior.

True, Simpson is in only his third spring, but the analogy still holds.

Milroe will need to improve decision-making under pressure, passing accuracy and touch, and learn from his mistakes. IOW, not repeat them. Young players are going to make mistakes. The good ones don’t repeat them, especially within 15 minutes of the first one. Milroe failed that standard in his lone start against aTm. It’s possible he could improve, but he’ll need to come a long way in a short time.

It would appear that Saban wants to get back to a 2008-11 style, obviously with some more modern stuff mixed in. I don’t see Milroe’s skill set at the QB position as fitting that philosophy.

We’ll see how events in the spring shake out. But my personal wholly uninformed guess is that Simpson emerges after A-Day as the starter, with Milroe as the backup and Holstein as #3. If Milroe transfers (and he might), elevate Holstein to #2.
Mac was a 4th year Junior, but yeah…

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If Simpson does what he's supposed to do Holstein won't beat him out. But if Simpson doesn't he may have a true "QB battle" on his hands because Holstein is not coming to Tuscaloosa to sit the bench. He's a very hard worker and puts in the off-the-field work to get better. He probably won't start, but I can tell you he will make it very clear from day one, he is there to play and not hold a clip board. (y)
His highlight videos prove he's super talented. I couldn't believe his arm strength and accuracy and pocket presence (realizing these are "highlights" and not his bad plays). But these videos exist to show potential and I saw a ton of it!

I think Simpson is primed to start this year and I also think there's quite a distance between his overall QB skills and Milroes. I think Simpson would have to really underperform to lose out being QB#1, however, it's not a stretch at all that Holstein wins the backup job.

I'd even go as far as to say that with a return of a dominant running game led by Rees and with proper management, EH could be a successful true freshman QB for us if push comes to shove!

Reactions: Bamabuzzard

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'd even go as far as to say that with a return of a dominant running game led by Rees and with proper management, EH could be a successful true freshman QB for us if push comes to shove!
I know Rees has that reputation.

I’ll be interested to see whether the OL allows him to do that. Hoping it does.

Reactions: seebell

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
At this point it's not talent, it's attitude.
I do think that is the case. I don’t think we‘ve had misses in OL recruitment as some speculate. Just haven’t put our OL in very good situations. And the attitudes do need ramping up, as you said.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I know Rees has that reputation.

I’ll be interested to see whether the OL allows him to do that. Hoping it does.
The O-line was significantly better in 2022 than 2021. Rees will commit to the run in a way that BoB did not, although to be fair, Rees won't have Bryce Young's ability tempting him to pass the ball on 3rd and short.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Nice discussion. Hard to tell anything until we see them and seems our first glimpse will be at A day. Can't really count Milroe out nor any of the freshmen. Should be good, healthy competition in the Spring and the Fall so hopefully everyone's game will elevate. We need some leadership from that position as well so it will be fun to watch this thing unfold.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I'm sort of feeling bad for our next QB. He will have to follow a line of Jalen Hurts, Tua T., Mac Jones, and Bryce Young. Can we even imagine how threatening that must feel to a 18-20 year old? Or maybe they just will not think about it...be clueless?
These kids don't think this way. They just want to lead the Tide to a championship. Odds are one of them probably will.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
ESPN is already naming Bama as a team to regress next year. Cream rises to the top. If one of our QBs steps up then I suspect ESPN will be wrong. I like the way the season sets up. Under dogs with a chip on their shoulders.

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: CoolBreeze

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
ESPN is already naming Bama as a team to regress next year. Cream rises to the top. If one of our QBs steps up then I suspect ESPN will be wrong. I like the way the season sets up. Under dogs with a chip on their shoulders.
This is when a group of players can become a team...they can unite against the outside world. I love it..thank you ESPN!

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I'm sort of feeling bad for our next QB. He will have to follow a line of Jalen Hurts, Tua T., Mac Jones, and Bryce Young. Can we even imagine how threatening that must feel to a 18-20 year old? Or maybe they just will not think about it...be clueless?
I would think all of these kids are competitors who think they are about to rewrite the record books. If any one of them doesn't have that type of confidence, it is doubtful he becomes the starter. I'm guessing that none of them are lacking in confidence.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Well, we have regressed the last three years from SEC and national champs in 2020 down to just SEC champs and national runners up in 2021 down to Sugar Bowl champs and 5th place finishers in 2022. All of those are still very good, but when you've been on the top of the mountain for a while, even a small decline seems large. I'm hoping we are back in the SEC title game and the playoffs next year. We shall see.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
I would think all of these kids are competitors who think they are about to rewrite the record books. If any one of them doesn't have that type of confidence, it is doubtful he becomes the starter. I'm guessing that none of them are lacking in confidence.
That is the question, is it not? Which one can put all that behind him, put the team on his shoulders and play to the best of his capabilities. It's not about talent at this stage...it is about the ability to play the most important position on the field with high intelligence and execution.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
That is the question, is it not? Which one can put all that behind him, put the team on his shoulders and play to the best of his capabilities. It's not about talent at this stage...it is about the ability to play the most important position on the field with high intelligence and execution.
I would agree that they are all talented. Who becomes the best leader? Who performs best under pressure? Who protects the ball and doesn't commit turnovers? Who can make the throws when necessary? Who keeps us out of bad plays? I think the competition will be a good one.

All of those guys had different skillsets but they were all off the charts, even by NFL standards, in their ability to shake off bad plays and ignore the pressure. Hurts and Young, especially, both played with ice water in their veins.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.