Question: The WAY TOO EARLY (who will be the QUARTERBACK in 2023) thread

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm not ready to discard Milroe just yet. We've hardly seen him play. And what we have seen, he was nervous being thrust in to fill in for Bryce. CNS had him number 2 for some reason. He passed really well in HS. Don't see why he can't at the college level. Hopefully, we'll know more A-Day.
I agree, I want to see how much he develops under Rees. He has too much athleticism to not try to develop it, especially at the QB position.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
I really don’t care who starts. The one that gives us the best chance to win. To bad we can’t fuse them together, put a “ S “ on their chest and beat every body but 3 touchdowns.

They are doing what that do best, stir the pot. When there is no news to report on they are more that willing to make up something for reaction. Works most every time.
That's the name of the game most of time, in both sports and politics punditry. In this case, though, it's just a pure mathematical analysis: which stats-producing players on offense and defense are returning? Alabama has lost most of its key starters since last year.

The good news is there are a bevy of 5- and 4-star players competing to fill those slots.

Reactions: CoolBreeze
I'm not ready to discard Milroe just yet. We've hardly seen him play. And what we have seen, he was nervous being thrust in to fill in for Bryce. CNS had him number 2 for some reason. He passed really well in HS. Don't see why he can't at the college level. Hopefully, we'll know more A-Day.
While I tend to think Simpson will win the competition, I agree that we don't have enough evidence on Milroe. Frankly, neither Bryce nor Mac impressed me much when they were on mop-up duty. Both obviously came into their own by the time they became The Guy.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I agree...let's be honest, the JM of last year will not be our QB!
Nailed it, Padre. Milroe will improve on ball security, decision-making and passing, or he won’t be the starter.

I agree with those of you saying that Ty needs to work on staying on the pocket when possible.

His HS OL looked terrible though and he was running for his life out of necessity.

So he probably has some bad habits that were created from that.

But if he can put it all together then he will be a NIGHTMARE for opposing D's to deal with.

Ty can SLING IT but he can also escape from defenders like politicians escape from the truth 😅
I’m not familiar with Simpson’s HS tape. But you’re spot on regarding the collegiate OLs he’s been playing behind. Our starting OL wasn’t that good. The 2nd and 3rd OL that Simpson has practiced behind were horrendous.

Poor guy rarely even got set up to pass, let alone go through progressions, before he was being swarmed.

So yeah, he may very well have some bad habits born of attempts at self-preservation.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I agree with those of you saying that Ty needs to work on staying on the pocket when possible.

His HS OL looked terrible though and he was running for his life out of necessity.

So he probably has some bad habits that were created from that.

But if he can put it all together then he will be a NIGHTMARE for opposing D's to deal with.

Ty can SLING IT but he can also escape from defenders like politicians escape from the truth 😅
Yep, I went back and watched Simpsons recruiting videos and on the ones he bailed the pocket I paused the video right before to see how many times the OL broke down in relation to him running. It was a lot and you may be correct, he developed some bad habits because of it that he'll need to correct, because if you watch his limited 2022 A-Day videos, he was doing the same thing. He was bailing at times when he didn't need to, just step up or "slide over" in the pocket and make a throw.

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
I think Simpson is QB1 but anyone not ready for a significant drop off this year is going to be in for a surprise Alabama has been on a very nice, almost historic run of great quarterbacks since 2017. Tua, Mac and Bryce were all elite talents. Ty is not currently close to their levels.

Reactions: Tidelines

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
I think Simpson is QB1 but anyone not ready for a significant drop off this year is going to be in for a surprise Alabama has been on a very nice, almost historic run of great quarterbacks since 2017. Tua, Mac and Bryce were all elite talents. Ty is not currently close to their levels.
I respectfully disagree, we didn't think Mac and Bryce were going to be elite not saying Ty will but I wouldn't bet against him

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
A dip from Bryce? Sure. A massive dip from elite QB play? No I doubt it. I bet Ty will be one of the better QBs in the country. Also the rumors around Ty are pretty positive

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
A dip from Bryce? Sure. A massive dip from elite QB play? No I doubt it. I bet Ty will be one of the better QBs in the country. Also the rumors around Ty are pretty positive
Ty hasn't sat there as the son of a coach and a talented QB just bidding time...I'll bet he's soaked in more than we can imagine. If we can run the ball -- and I think we will -- we will be fine at QB...Rose colored glasses are great!

Last edited:

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
I’m sure you’re correct, Padreruf. Coaches kids just seem to have a better understanding of the game. Looking forward to seeing him play if he wins the job.

Reactions: Padreruf

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not that rumors are "allowed" but I think the PTB would "suffer" it if you could share some of what you've heard. ;)

Reactions: Tidelines

BamaFanatJSU

1st Team
Apr 24, 2008
Rainbow City, AL
If we can run the ball -- and I think we will -- we will be fine at QB...
I agree, especially if the defense gets off the field more next season. Frankly, I can see us needing little more than what Brock Purdy gave the 49ers...don't turn the ball over and make a big throw every now and then. Not quite a game manager, but also not someone being asked to shoulder the kind of responsibility BY was in 2022.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Because both are black, many make the mistake that they are similar players but JH and JM, while having similarities, are very different. JH always had a good throwing motion, JM does not. JH was fairly accurate, especially to stationary targets, JM is not. JH often had trouble pulling the trigger - he took CNS’s “no TOs” too much to heart, not sure about JM. They both have strong arms.

When running the ball they both have very good top end speed, JM is much quicker and more elusive, JH is almost awkward at times. JH is strong as an ox but usually does not use his power.

Psychologically, no one works like JH. No one takes coaching to heart like JH. No one is as focused as JH. That’s why he is probably CNS’ favorite player of all time. JM is a great kid, as likable as any player I can remember in the few interviews I’ve seen but his psychological makeup is nothing like JH. It’s good but nothing like JH because almost no one’s is.

They are both black, a meaningless similarity, and there are a couple of other more meaningful but slight similarities, but at the moment, and the same point in their development, they are very very different players.
No one EVER said maybe JH should switch to RB, TE, Safety or LB.

you are absolutely correct. Totally different!

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Everyone makes over the rockstar quarterback but give me the blood, guts and glory kid any day…he may not be as talented but those are the ones that tend to win national championships at Bama.

Reactions: DrJJoyner

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Not that rumors are "allowed" but I think the PTB would "suffer" it if you could share some of what you've heard. ;)
Oh sorry nothing major. Just that he's looked good to at least a couple of people who have seen him play more than we have. One dude knows QBs pretty well for a fan type and is very high on him.

That obviously doesn't mean much though. I just think it means at worst he'll be pretty good.

Plus he'll be in a more QB friendly offense moving forward than Bryce was

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.