Things just continue to crumble around Univ. of Fourteennessee (Announces NCAA investigation)

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I will say that Fulmer did have a lot of success at UT and he always had top recruiting classes. Was his success in recruiting legitimate or did his success include some benefits? I don't know. Having said that, he had one National Championship in 98. During the time of Fulmer's success the SEC was not stacked with great coaches with the exception of Spurrier at UF and he regulary lost to Spurrier. When the coaching started getting better in the SEC his success went down and Saban finished him off, first at LSU and then at Bama. If Fulmer was a really great coach, why did no one go after him when he left UT? I mean, he had a National Championship on his resume.
Of all the National Title winners in the last several decades there are two that stand out. I believe they gave one to Georgia Tech who played nobody that season and the UT squad. They won it in a season where the SEC as a whole was probably as weak as it's been in my lifetime. As for the recruiting. we all know there was money flying around during that time, the NCAA more or less gave them a hall pass as long as they helped get Alabama. But the type of players they recruited is what killed them, they were heavy on star ratings and light on character and work ethic. At one point they had the highest ranking class in America and those highly ranked but pathetic individuals went on to play like crap, with many of them getting into various forms of trouble.

It is a fact that you need the 5 star guys to compete for championships, but it's also a fact that if you don't get the RIGHT 5 star guys you'll ultimately get heartache.

Reactions: CrimsonPaul and Con

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Of all the National Title winners in the last several decades there are two that stand out. I believe they gave one to Georgia Tech who played nobody that season and the UT squad. They won it in a season where the SEC as a whole was probably as weak as it's been in my lifetime. As for the recruiting. we all know there was money flying around during that time, the NCAA more or less gave them a hall pass as long as they helped get Alabama. But the type of players they recruited is what killed them, they were heavy on star ratings and light on character and work ethic. At one point they had the highest ranking class in America and those highly ranked but pathetic individuals went on to play like crap, with many of them getting into various forms of trouble.

It is a fact that you need the 5 star guys to compete for championships, but it's also a fact that if you don't get the RIGHT 5 star guys you'll ultimately get heartache.
I could be wrong but I remember people on here used to refer to offseason trouble as "The Fulmer Cup".

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
Will.Pruitt make it to next season as UT's coach? What's the consensus?
According to the vid posted, Pruitt has a had a sit down with the bosses there. I think the only reason he’s not gone already is that he knows stuff that will burn Tennessee down below ground level. That’s where Phil Fulmer lives btw.

DanoCanuck

3rd Team
Feb 5, 2020
Fulmer was obsessed with sticking it to Alabama. I hated him for it. He's now steering that sinking ship. Fulmer should never have been named AD. I think part of the reason he hired Pruitt was to try and stick it to Alabama again. As long as Fulmer is in charge the further Tennessee sinks the better. When him and his ilk are finally rooted out I might feel sorry for them, might. Until then, let the dumpster fire burn.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
According to the vid posted, Pruitt has a had a sit down with the bosses there. I think the only reason he’s not gone already is that he knows stuff that will burn Tennessee down below ground level. That’s where Phil Fulmer lives btw.
I’d keep that stuff close to the vest, then if they decide to part ways I’d sing like a canary

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
one thing is for sure, IF there is/was any possibility that we try to get Pruitt back as our DC (not sure we would want him or not, idk), Fulmer would poison the well however he could to ensure that we couldn't get him.

Reactions: Con

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
I just watched the video and the guy is not 100% wrong.
However, as long as Phat Kaptain Krispy Kreme Fulmer has ANYTHING to do with that program in ANY WAY they will botch it. Now, just to be clear, I ain't mad about it because I want one of those dri-erase shirts with enough room for triple digits.

Reactions: BigAlinKnoxville

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

It also helped greatly that Chris Weinke was injured before the Fiesta Bowl game with Tennessee and, I think, Marcus Outzen played QB. Tennessee only won by 7.

Reactions: Con

CrimsonBloodn62

1st Team
Feb 1, 2002
Tuscumbia, AL
Fulmer was obsessed with sticking it to Alabama. I hated him for it. He's now steering that sinking ship. Fulmer should never have been named AD. I think part of the reason he hired Pruitt was to try and stick it to Alabama again. As long as Fulmer is in charge the further Tennessee sinks the better. When him and his ilk are finally rooted out I might feel sorry for them, might. Until then, let the dumpster fire burn.
I will not live long enough to ever think about feeling sorry for that program.

Reactions: Padreruf

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.