Third Debate Thread...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
OK, what I thought...

I figure Kushner or someone told him, "Dude, if you lose this thing, you're going to jail, so you better follow a plan."

He was effective in some parts (set aside the phony bully bravado), but his personal hatred of pretty much everything comes oozing out of the screen. Biden was trying to be a milder Bush 41 tonight (and he was a terrible debater), but I thought he did okay.

There's no good trite answer to the "eight years" punch because it requires engagement of the audience. Biden did better, though, when he went with, "it was a Republican Congress."

I think he should have gone with this:

"The biggest reason we couldn't do it in eight years is because your party wrecked the economy so bad that we spent years fixing it so we could hand you a great economy, which you went and wrecked with your refusal to listen to scientists. As part of that, we had to work on health care, which you're trying to undo as well. Things take time, Don, particularly things we know are complicated."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He won, but not by that much.

He won in that Trump did nothing to persuade millions of people to switch their votes from Biden to him, though.
And that was a monster win for Joe. He was not the one who had to bring millions of independents/undecideds into his fold. That was on Trump and, as you say, he definitely struck out on that...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Trump sounded and looked ridiculous at times. He never answered any question; it was all an attack on Biden. He didn't answer any questions about the 500+ children separated from their family. He had no health care plan. He stated Joe Biden was getting 3.5 million dollars from the mayor of Moscow. And Trump said wind kills birds.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
One thing to remind y'all - the polls will probably tighten just a bit. PROBABLY. It's more likely than unlikely, and it happens almost every 4 years (1980 was a notable exception, but that was one debate one week before the election).

There are 2 reasons for this:

1) "The guy behind is coming back" makes for a great press story (it ranks right up there in their predetermined nonsense narratives with "maybe the primary won't settle the nomination", "maybe a dark horse will win," and "the huge numbers of voters in early turnout means people are excited about this")

2) The party folks who toyed with the guy in the other party and then migrated back to their familiar terrain.

What makes this year dicey is #2 because, well, Trump.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Trump sounded and looked ridiculous at times. He never answered any question; it was all an attack on Biden. He didn't answer any questions about the 500+ children separated from their family. He had no health care plan. He stated Joe Biden was getting 3.5 million dollars from the mayor of Moscow. And Trump said wind kills birds.

You're correct on the ridiculous.

Most politicians never answer the question asked, although I'll grant you Trump strays back into "let me talk about something completely unrelated to your question" more than anyone I can ever recall.

Reactions: Go Bama

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I know I'm showing my age, but I always thought Bush blew it when Clinton went with "you had your way for 12 years, you had your chance, and it didn't work."

I thought Bush should have said, "12 years during which we won the Cold War, had the longest peacetime expansion in world history (note: at that time), liberated Kuwait from a monstrous dictator, and saw the Iron Curtain come down all across Europe. What again was it you were saying didn't work? Now we're faced with this recession, and given our track record, I think the public should go with us."

But then again, everyone is an expert on what other folks should say at their debates. Being in the hot seat is different than sitting in the stands.

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell and UAH

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
One point Biden did make - I thought he should have drove it home even more - was about the tariffs. It's truly amazing to me how many of my high school classmates didn't listen in the same class with me.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Here's some comfort for most of us as a reminder:

1) elections involving incumbents are referendums on the incumbent, the challenger is almost incidental
2) No incumbent has managed to pull any sort of come from behind win since Harry Truman - and he did his in the days before television was the main thing

(Stu Spencer, the GOP consultant, pointed out that if Truman had had to run his famous whistle stop campaign in the TV era, he would probably have lost and badly - because there's a big difference in hearing at a train station that the President is attacking a "do nothing Congress" and hearing the same railing over and over on your TV every night).

The only one who even came particularly close was Ford.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’m agreeing with @selmaborntidefan. Biden won because Trump didn’t turn folks tonight. Both had their best debates tonight, but ultimately that favors Biden. Trump desperately needed to make Biden look weak or corrupt. He failed at both. You can see it amongst Frank Luntz’s impaired unicorn focus group at where the needle is.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
lol... did anyone else have to look up the meaning of fungible??
Actually, I misspoke. It used to be somewhat fungible, despite the various grades of crude. The cracked products, of course, are. However, it's not really true to speak of Saudi crude and Canadian tar sands oil as being "fungible"...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Most people are saying tie. So Trump is from NY and Biden is from PA. Let’s get an NFL tie breaker since NY and Philly played on Thursday....

614A5310-1C84-4235-AE23-B05EA21800BB.png

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I didn’t watch but did record it. Should I watch just for laughs? I already voted, so it doesn’t matter if Trump does sway me into his fold.

Reactions: seebell

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I didn’t watch but did record it. Should I watch just for laughs? I already voted, so it doesn’t matter if Trump does sway me into his fold.

Don't waste your time.

The only real howler was Trump saying he was the least racist person in the room......which is basically saying, "Every single one of you in here is more racist than I am."

I still think it's amusing Trump has adopted the "he botched the pandemic response to H1N1" when the number of dead people proves otherwise. Then again, I'm sure he consoles himself with, "But we WON the lawsuit against the NFL."

Reactions: NationalTitles18

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.