This absolutely puzzles me about Amari Cooper

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm not a big NFL guy but when I do watch it I pull for the Raiders. I was ecstatic when the Raiders drafted Coop but began to realize the "Coop" I'd become accustomed to at Alabama was not the "Coop" playing for my Raiders. He appeared to not be engaged and to be quite honest. He looked like he didn't like football. When he was traded to Dallas it appeared his lack of interest was due to being in Oakland. But now it seems he's returned to what I saw in Oakland.

Amari_Cooper

Reactions: Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I'm not a big NFL guy but when I do watch it I pull for the Raiders. I was ecstatic when the Raiders drafted Coop but began to realize the "Coop" I'd become accustomed to at Alabama was not the "Coop" playing for my Raiders. He appeared to not be engaged and to be quite honest. He looked like he didn't like football. When he was traded to Dallas it appeared his lack of interest was due to being in Oakland. But now it seems he's returned to what I saw in Oakland.

Amari_Cooper
I agree...one would think that knowing where he came from he would be all in on making as much money as possible and ensuring generational wealth. Or, he may have grown tired of the Cowboys' total ineptitude and just packed it in...going through the motions. Losing games you should win is no fun...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I try not to guess things like desire based on demeanor. He is very productive, but he is not a red zone receiver. I could say the same for Julio most of his career. But Julio is a very vocal leader while Cooper has always been quiet, even while at Alabama.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Oakland would suck the life out of even most competitive of players.

But the perception seems to be turning into reality. The proof will be in the check, as in whether the deal gets made or not.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Oakland would suck the life out of even most competitive of players.

But the perception seems to be turning into reality. The proof will be in the check, as in whether the deal gets made or not.
In most years I would agree with you. But when he's had TWO coaching staffs WANTING to build the passing game around him and putting him in positions to succeed and it's on film showing where he routinely pulls up on routes (for no apparent reason) and appears to be dogging it right off the LOS on some plays and some plays giving 100%. It's hard to blame the organization. It gets REALLY hard when now he's got two different organizations saying the same things. Personally, I don't think Cooper likes professional football. It's a job. It's nothing like college.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
In most years I would agree with you. But when he's had TWO coaching staffs WANTING to build the passing game around him and putting him in positions to succeed and it's on film showing where he routinely pulls up on routes (for no apparent reason) and appears to be dogging it right off the LOS on some plays and some plays giving 100%. He's hard to blame the organization. Personally, I don't think Cooper likes professional football. It's a job. It's nothing like college.
Cooper's problem is that Oakland had no idea what they wanted, and they hired Looney Tunes Gruden who rubs just about anyone he didn't draft or get the wrong way. Then he goes to an organization that wants to run the ball and has an average at best qb throwing to him. The NFL is all about fitting just right. Coop has yet to do so.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Cooper's problem is that Oakland had no idea what they wanted, and they hired Looney Tunes Gruden who rubs just about anyone he didn't draft or get the wrong way. Then he goes to an organization that wants to run the ball and has an average at best qb throwing to him. The NFL is all about fitting just right. Coop has yet to do so.
Coop is a professional getting paid to give a 100%. The other 10 players on offense were giving their all or at least doing enough to make everyone think they were under the same system. Coop didn't even try to hide it. Look, I'm a Bama fan and an Amari Cooper fan. I did my best to give Coop the benefit of the doubt as long as I could. But it got to a point that enough film had accumulated and had circulated the Raiders internet forums, and "whispers" beginning leaking out of the organization about his effort. That I simply couldn't give him the benefit of the doubt anymore.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Coop is a professional getting paid to give a 100%. The other 10 players on offense were giving their all or at least doing enough to make everyone think they were under the same system. Coop didn't even try to hide it. Look, I'm a Bama fan and an Amari Cooper fan. I did my best to give Coop the benefit of the doubt as long as I could. But it got to a point that enough film had accumulated and had circulated the Raiders internet forums, and "whispers" beginning leaking out of the organization about his effort. That I simply couldn't give him the benefit of the doubt anymore.
Maybe, but look at the coaches he has been given also. I know a lot of people are high on Looney Tunes because he won a Super Bowl but you might ask a Tampa Bay fan about him single handedly destroying a team that was destined to be a dynasty the next 6 years. Jason Garrett... enough said. Mccarthy will be the best coach he has ever had in terms of a players coach with a dynamic passing game should he be resigned.

Its also worth noting Cooper had his best statistical year last year.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Maybe, but look at the coaches he has been given also. I know a lot of people are high on Looney Tunes because he won a Super Bowl but you might ask a Tampa Bay fan about him single handedly destroying a team that was destined to be a dynasty the next 6 years. Jason Garrett... enough said. Mccarthy will be the best coach he has ever had in terms of a players coach with a dynamic passing game should he be resigned.

Its also worth noting Cooper had his best statistical year last year.
Yet he is still being criticized for the same things as he was at his previous stop. His employer and sounds like other teammates aren't pleased with his effort. Which was the same thing he was being criticized for with the Raiders. This is hard for me to excuse because I tell my ball players all the time. "You may not be able to control everything. But the two things you have complete control over are your effort and your attitude." We preach that throughout our youth league organization because someone's effort and attitude is highly contagious.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yet he is still being criticized for the same things as he was at his previous stop. His employer and sounds like other teammates aren't pleased with his effort. Which was the same thing he was being criticized for with the Raiders. This is hard for me to excuse because I tell my ball players all the time. "You may not be able to control everything. But the two things you have complete control over are your effort and your attitude." We preach that throughout our youth league organization because someone's effort and attitude is highly contagious.
Well we have to see. Like I said none of his head coaches were doing him any favors, and if he is still with the Cowboys this year then there would be no room for argument on his effort because McCarthy is a more aggressive guy that loves to hit the home run. I doubt he would put up with lagging if Cooper is really not giving his all.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Just to play devil's advocate, the NFL is extremely cut throat. For example, we see every season during the draft, all of a sudden there is this or that issue with a player who is a surefire first round pick and all of a sudden he's fallen into the 2nd round. I've lost count on how many times this has occurred with an Alabama player. And we all know it was an effort by a team who really wanted said player but didn't want to give 1st round money.

This has to happen with veterans during negotiations as well. I realize Coop has had his weird moments with Dallas, but I also know that Jerry Jones is a straight up buffoon when it comes to managing talent, and Jason Garrett was a human celery stalk on the sidelines posing as a legit coach. They are way too overboard on money when it comes to Dak (overrated anyway) and Zeke Elliot. You know they don't want to pay Coop... and this narrative is already out there... it's a nice little way for them to undercut him in salary negotiations.

I do acknowledge that he hasn't been consistent in the NFL. It's possible he really doesn't truly love the professional game. BUT... 81 is absolutely correct that he hasn't had anything but mediocre to bad management above him. We'll see how it goes. He was one of my favorites and I hope it does work out for him.

Reactions: Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Just to play devil's advocate, the NFL is extremely cut throat. For example, we see every season during the draft, all of a sudden there is this or that issue with a player who is a surefire first round pick and all of a sudden he's fallen into the 2nd round. I've lost count on how many times this has occurred with an Alabama player. And we all know it was an effort by a team who really wanted said player but didn't want to give 1st round money.

This has to happen with veterans during negotiations as well. I realize Coop has had his weird moments with Dallas, but I also know that Jerry Jones is a straight up buffoon when it comes to managing talent, and Jason Garrett was a human celery stalk on the sidelines posing as a legit coach. They are way too overboard on money when it comes to Dak (overrated anyway) and Zeke Elliot. You know they don't want to pay Coop... and this narrative is already out there... it's a nice little way for them to undercut him in salary negotiations.

I do acknowledge that he hasn't been consistent in the NFL. It's possible he really doesn't truly love the professional game. BUT... 81 is absolutely correct that he hasn't had anything but mediocre to bad management above him. We'll see how it goes. He was one of my favorites and I hope it does work out for him.
"...human celery stalk..." I love it.
And yes...Coop does deserve to play for a top notch coach with a top notch QB...like Tom Brady???

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I can almost assure you this wasn't the case with the Raiders. His effort and disinterested attitude was the problem. Again, it's tough for me to get away from what I was taught as an athlete and how I teach as a coach. In that effort and attitude is completely controlled by "you" and life isn't going to always be exactly the way you like it or think it should be. But you still give a 100% and have a good attitude for your team. If you want to go cuss and scream in private. There's nothing wrong with that. But when you hit the field with your teammates . It's 100% effort and attitude. I think he just doesn't love the professional game and it's showing. That, IMO is the root issue.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.