Thoughts from a Washington Fan

huskylawyer

Scout Team
Dec 4, 2016
Seattle
I hope I've been civil on you boards. I admitted in my first post that you guys beat us 9 times out of 10. Also, most legit Washington fans love your coach, as he is from the Don James tree, and Don James is our version of Bear Bryant.

The stars will need to align for us to beat you. As for USC, you can't underestimate how much Darnold made a difference for that team. Yea, you guys still beat them with Darnold, but they probably put up a better fight later in the season with Darnold.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
I hope I've been civil on you boards. I admitted in my first post that you guys beat us 9 times out of 10. Also, most legit Washington fans love your coach, as he is from the Don James tree, and Don James is our version of Bear Bryant.

The stars will need to align for us to beat you. As for USC, you can't underestimate how much Darnold made a difference for that team. Yea, you guys still beat them with Darnold, but they probably put up a better fight later in the season with Darnold.

You have been.

You're not the UDub fan raising eyebrows here...

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I said this in another thread, and I'll say it again here. This matchup is very intriguing. We haven't faced a a gunslinging caliber with the quality of weapons that Washington has. The flip side though, is that Washington also hasn't faced a caliber of defense like we've got.

Here's the thing you are missing when you talk about our defense being overly aggressive. We are because we have the depth to be aggressive. We aren't as deep as we were last year, but we still have the athleticism and depth to rotate guys effectively. Plus we have a scheme that allows us to adjust based on the offense we are facing.

Washington can sling the ball, but they're going to have to convert on a lot of short drop back passes to open the defense first. We have the best front 7 in the nation, and we can get pressure on the quarterback without blitzing. If browning expects to throw bombs off 7 step drop backs all night, then he'll spend a fair amount of time on his back.

As to Hurts and the offense, I'll be interested to see what a month of preparation and planning can do. He's not the most accurate thrower, and Washington has one of the most underrated secondaries in the country. The difference with Hurts is that he doesn't make a lot of dumb throws that will put him at risk. He makes good decisions with the ball, and Kiffin picks his spots well for risky plays.

The other thing is that we might not need to pass the ball well to win. The RB tandem of Scarborough, Jacobs, and Harris have all developed very well this year. Washingtons defense is athletic, but they are small. If our blocking is well executed, I expect the Huskie front 7 to have trouble staying fresh in run contain.

No doubt we will have to bring our A game to win. I could also see it being closer than the pundits think. With that said, at the end of the day, I would take us to cover the spread and then some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vertical

All-American
May 15, 2000
New Hampshire
Because transitive property in CFB rarely works... You played USC at their weakest
Making claims like this as though they are fact is not going to win you any debates. We don't know that USC was at it's 'weakest' when playing us any more than we know that they were at their strongest playing you. It's pure conjecture, and the opponent they were playing probably has something to do with the level of effectiveness USC had, wouldn't you say? USC isn't just out there playing themselves.

You've made several absurd claims such as your team has the best secondary in the entire country, and you have 3-4 "elite" D-linemen. Your opinion, fine, but please leave it at that. It is not a universally held truth.

Statements you have made which I will respond to:

Bama's offense is pretty bad at throwing the ball because Hurts is really ineffective with his mechanics and accuracy. UW can make Bama one dimensional, Washington has 3 elite 3-4 DL men and the best secondary in the country.

I can agree that Jalen hurts does not have the best mechanics, and does not have outstanding accuracy, however I would not go anywhere so close as to call him "really ineffective". Saying so makes your argument seem completely ridiculous.

Bama's defense is very agressive and can be had on routes that force them to switch (wheel routes, zone busters etc). Short quick passing game off of play action was money for Ole Miss early in the game. RPOS looked actually quite effective against Bama's defense because the safeties and LBs overcommit so much because they trust someone to make a play if they can't . Everyone's explosives plays came off play action which speaks to how agressive they play. Alabama sells out to stop the run but if you spread them out you can get 3-4 yards and the occassional 10 yard pop. Bama's defense reminds me of the Seahawks without an elite safety or corner.

It's one thing to see trends and a potential advantage, it's quite another to line up and make it work. Alabama's defense is not an unsolvable puzzle, of course it can be beat, and it has trends and issues. But they are talented, and up to this point, 13 other teams have tried to find enough holes and have failed. Of course UW has a chance, just like everyone else did.

I like UW's chances in this game esp. given that Pete has 1 month to prepare.

Nick Saban has a month to prepare as well. I fail to see your point.

If Washington can stay away from TOs and convert on third down; they can win this game. Well... yeah?

I'm really not sure what you've offered here by way of analysis that hasn't been done dozens of times before by other fans and coaches. Alabama is just a team and yes they can be beat. But we've won 13 games this year with all of the flaws you've 'discovered' against pretty good competition.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana

Dude, you're cool. I've seen enough from you already to know you're an alright guy. We are one of the more strictly moderated forums in the sports universe when it comes to opposing fans. Heck, that's one of the reasons why we all love it here.

If the mods aren't contacting you to tell you to tone it down, chances are you're in good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
In all honesty, the Huskies' best chance is that Bama players don't take Washington seriously.
Bama lost to Utah (2009), Oklahoma (2014) and Ohio State (2015) based on that circumstance.
When Bama players take the opponent seriously (or, God forbid are angry), the results are ugly (Mich State 2010 & 2015, LSU 2012, Notre Dame 2013).
Washington is certainly capable of beating Alabama, but it really depends on how Alabama plays not how Washington does.

PetermanUW

Suspended
Dec 4, 2016
This wasn't mean't to be a smack talk post... I was simply stating what i saw that Washington can take advantage of... Christ i compared your defense to the Seahawks..

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
This wasn't mean't to be a smack talk post... I was simply stating what i saw that Washington can take advantage of... Christ i compared your defense to the Seahawks..

"Christ"?

Really??

Do us all a favor and, um, go away...

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The most objective observers of football are in Las Vegas. The consensus of the professionals is that Alabama wins by 15, and the total points by both teams is 54.

That translates into the most objective, knowledgeable professionals on the planet predicting score of roughly 35-20.

Now, those pros aren't always right. But to make a credible case for UDub winning without a bunch of help from Alabama, you have to identify where the pros got it wrong (and wrong to the tune of more than two touchdowns), and come us with a solid justification for feeling that way.

Personally, I think Tidewater said it best when he said that UDub's best chance is Alabama not taking them seriously. I don't think that's real likely. But if it happens, it would be manifested by mental mistakes, blown pass coverages and blocking assignments, careless penalties, poor eye discipline leading to vulnerability to trick plays, and poor ball security.

In other words, Alabama giving Washington a lot of help.

Marshawn24

Dec 7, 2016
The most objective observers of football are in Las Vegas. The consensus of the professionals is that Alabama wins by 15, and the total points by both teams is 54.

That translates into the most objective, knowledgeable professionals on the planet predicting score of roughly 35-20.

Now, those pros aren't always right. But to make a credible case for UDub winning without a bunch of help from Alabama, you have to identify where the pros got it wrong (and wrong to the tune of more than two touchdowns), and come us with a solid justification for feeling that way.

Personally, I think Tidewater said it best when he said that UDub's best chance is Alabama not taking them seriously. I don't think that's real likely. But if it happens, it would be manifested by mental mistakes, blown pass coverages and blocking assignments, careless penalties, poor eye discipline leading to vulnerability to trick plays, and poor ball security.

In other words, Alabama giving Washington a lot of help.
I can tell you where they are getting it wrong. UW has an absolutely elite interior DL the only thing Alabama's seen that is close is their own DL last year with Robinson and Reed

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I can tell you where they are getting it wrong. UW has an absolutely elite interior DL the only thing Alabama's seen that is close is their own DL last year with Robinson and Reed
The only one who seems likely to be drafted high is Eldrenkamp, although Shelton did make all-conference, 2nd team. It'll be interesting to see how they hold up against our DL...

Latest threads