Thoughts on QB situation after Game 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
We'll find out Saturday if Saban made the right choice. If Milroe does well and we win then it will certainly look correct but if Milroe gets rattled and turns the ball over a couple of times then Saban may have no choice but to give Simpson a crack on the big stage. Then we'll know if Simpson can handle pressure or if he is a worse choice.

Joefus

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2021
Without the turnovers/dumb penalties this could grow into a solid offense by seasons end. If he can play within the offense and not throw picks then I will start to believe the sky is the limit again. It feels like everyone is starting to gel and understand their role etc. I know he’s talented enough to get 60 and 230 without a pick/fumble every game. If our coordinator will call it right. I’ll take that with a coke and a smile

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I don’t like it, but it is what it is. We clearly don’t trust the QB to throw, or we would have had more than 4 passes at halftime and 12 pass attempts total. I am concerned that the next time we get behind in a game or have to keep scoring to stay ahead, the wild passes and poor decisions will come back to the forefront and we will have a bunch of back breaking turnovers or 3&outs. But like I said it is what it is, the coaches have decided to stick with this route so it’s ride or die. We will see how it plays out. Next big test is A&M at their place.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
We clearly don’t trust the QB to throw, or we would have had more than 4 passes at halftime and 12 pass attempts total.
While watching that game, and considering our next opponent I couldn't help but think the lack of passing might have been because our coaching staff didn't want to put Milroe in a bad position where he might throw a couple of INT's and then possibly have his confidence shot going into Texas A&M.

Reactions: BamaDMD and Con

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
We'll find out Saturday if Saban made the right choice. If Milroe does well and we win then it will certainly look correct but if Milroe gets rattled and turns the ball over a couple of times then Saban may have no choice but to give Simpson a crack on the big stage. Then we'll know if Simpson can handle pressure or if he is a worse choice.
It’s too late for that. Simpson needed reps early, but it didn’t happen.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
While watching that game, and considering our next opponent I couldn't help but think the lack of passing might have been because our coaching staff didn't want to put Milroe in a bad position where he might throw a couple of INT's and then possibly have his confidence shot going into Texas A&M.
We’ll that doesn’t give me any confidence. “You can’t hide the quarterback” sounds applicable. But it’s a strategy.

Reactions: BamaMoon

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Milroe has improved but still has a bit more to learn and develop. The pass protection was much better vs MSU (or pass rush was much worse). I want to see Milroe throw the ball away when he has run right and is going out of bounds short of the line of scrimmage; he still takes a loss in yardage when it is just too easy to throw the ball away.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
12 passes…..12! That’s really all you need to know to form an unbiased opinion of our QB situation. Rees can’t run a full offense because of our limitations. Trouble is we will be harping on the same things this time next year.
Next year we will have 3 different quarterbacks and likely a quarterback that is a pass first guy that we are used to. Whether that be Sayin, Lonergan, or Holstein is the debate.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
When I stop yelling at my TV "THROW THE BALL AWAY!", I will feel better about the QB siuation.
That's the biggest thing that should be easily correctable in my opinion.

It also skews a couple stats. People cite how few passes that Alabama has thrown and how high Milroe's completion percentage is...

Well there should be a few more imcompletions a game, and when there is then things will look better and more accurate.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My opinion on the QB position has not changed as I have seen nothing to change it. But this team has many problems, not just QB.

It is unfortunate that you play your toughest opponents early this season, before you have a chance to iron out some of these issues.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
That's the biggest thing that should be easily correctable in my opinion.
It’s harder to correct than you think. Quarterbacks that believe every play can and should be a score just can’t get out of that mindset It’s like a dog that gets the love of chasing cars or messing with your neighbors chickens. Just look at Tua…. Most of his injuries were and are a direct result of trying to score on a dead play.

AWRTR

All-American
Oct 18, 2022
I don’t like it, but it is what it is. We clearly don’t trust the QB to throw, or we would have had more than 4 passes at halftime and 12 pass attempts total. I am concerned that the next time we get behind in a game or have to keep scoring to stay ahead, the wild passes and poor decisions will come back to the forefront and we will have a bunch of back breaking turnovers or 3&outs. But like I said it is what it is, the coaches have decided to stick with this route so it’s ride or die. We will see how it plays out. Next big test is A&M at their place.
Way more than 12 passes were called JM just didn't throw the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads