Thoughts On This Years CFB Games So Far

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Is it just me or do we seem to have a far better batch of games on television with CFB thus far this year? I normally could care less who wins Louisville-UCF or even Notre Dame-FSU, but I watched virtually every second of those games and regardless of whom anyone was for, they were good contests.

It's been about seven years since I watched A LOT of CFB that were not Alabama games, partly because I held season tickets in both 16 and 17, and the tradeoff when you travel as far as I do is that you give up almost every other game to attend the one you're watching in person. Also, I was in college for a second Bachelor's in 2015-16, so I didn't watch much after the OU-Tennessee game that year, either.

I thought maybe it's because we just missed REAL CFB in terms of the fans and the whole bit, but it really seems to me we've gotten a great cache of games thus far, too.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Covid year screwed a lot up, from the lack of fans in the stands, to a lack of the usual preseason preparation. Teams are better prepared to actually play football.

And I'll say this; that's one of the reasons (not THE reason, just one of) that we were SO dominant last year. Because we were one of the few teams that was able to adequately prepare. And frankly, the only team that over prepared. Because that is the Nick Saban way.

So with everyone back on the normal schedule, full fans in the stands giving teams actual home field advantage, and the product is just better. I do agree this also feels like a year with no dominant teams, like a 2007.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
We’ve gone from cardboard fans in stands last year and fans watching games on TV to Real fans this year with fans in the stadiums. I really missed that last year. And there have been several very good games on TV so far this year. I’ve done lots of channel changing to see several games on at the same time.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Covid year screwed a lot up, from the lack of fans in the stands, to a lack of the usual preseason preparation. Teams are better prepared to actually play football.

And I'll say this; that's one of the reasons (not THE reason, just one of) that we were SO dominant last year. Because we were one of the few teams that was able to adequately prepare. And frankly, the only team that over prepared. Because that is the Nick Saban way.

So with everyone back on the normal schedule, full fans in the stands giving teams actual home field advantage, and the product is just better. I do agree this also feels like a year with no dominant teams, like a 2007.
THIS...people are excited to be in the stands and watching teams that are fairly equal across the board. After the games yesterday I said to my wife, "This is what we missed last year without fans."

Now, I just hope we don't launch a 3rd wave of covid.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
More games seem to be much more competitive even when results aren’t “upsets”. There have been some of those that in retrospect probably shouldn’t have been considered upsets. But the officiating seems to be getting worse, with officials creating their own rules now and missing calls that aren’t in the “judgment “ category.
I do think that the Top Ten at the end of the year will be vastly different than last year.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Alabama has a close game and the rest of the college football world is giddy.
They really are, aren't they? Maybe we needed this game on a couple of levels: one, to wake us the heck up. But also, to make some other programs realize the benefit of putting some effort into the entire experience. Believe they can individually and as programs, compete.

At the end of the season, I expect to see the CFP be Alabama/Oregon/Oklahoma/and a new entrant. Perhaps Cincy, perhaps another SEC school. The Cocktail party will tell us a lot. We just need a lot more football to be played before we will really know, and I'm grateful for that.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
My big take away is that the musical chair transfer portal has really messed up the predictions based on recruiting. Arkansas for example, is one of several who cleaned up (I have read) and they are meshing very well. If this year is any indication it appears it will take at least four or five games to get a feel for how good a team will be.

Reactions: teamplayer

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
I thought that the game was shifting to a very few "haves" and mostly "have-nots", but I'm not so sure based on what I've seen so far this season. There just isn't a team that seems to have the ability to dominate its opponent every week. I don't think we can and I don't Georgia can either. Maybe there's a team that I just haven't bought into yet that can do that, but time will tell.

I hope we win every game by a large margin, just like every other fan of their team, but I think it's good for the sport to have some leveling of the playing field. There are probably 15 or so teams this year, and probably 5 in the SEC alone, that have a legitimate chance to make the CFP this year. If I was pressed to predict the 4 teams right now, I would have little confidence in all of my selections. The last few years, it was all but guaranteed that at least 2 of 4 teams you predicted at the beginning of the season would get in.

Reactions: teamplayer

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The good news to me is that I believe we just passed our biggest hurdle until the SECCG.

OM will give our secondary a test, but I think Coach will assume Kiffin has something planned that we haven’t prepared for, and he will have to unleash the offense.

I think we see us open the playbook this week a bit more.

with that said, I think we still have our Slot in the playoffs. There will likely be a second team from the SEC

I’m thinking it’s likely the year for a Go5 team. Maybe Cinci.

with the last slot between Oregon, OU, and a B1G school.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.