Game Thread: Thursday Night Games Catchall (9/1/22)

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Since it came up during the thread:

The only tweaks I've sortof liked over the years are the houndstooth around the neck and the subtle houndstooth reflective pattern on the numbers.

Teams that have tradition use the tradition as a motivating factor.

Teams that don't have tradition change uniforms 10X per year.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
The State Penn defense gave up:
25 first downs*
426 Total Yards*
365 Passing Yards*
and 31 Points

*more than State Penn's offense had

...and the talking heads are lauding their defense and the amazing Manny Diaz? Seriously?

For me, Manny Diaz has taken Jimi Harbaugh's place as the most overhyped coach in college football - only because Harbaugh actually won something for the first time last season...

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
25 first downs*
426 Total Yards*
365 Passing Yards*
and 31 Points

...and the talking heads are lauding their defense and the amazing Manny Diaz? Seriously?

For me, Manny Diaz has taken Jimi Harbaugh's place as the most overhyped coach in college football - only because Harbaugh actually won something for the first time last season...
Auburn vs Penn State is going to be a slap fight.

• Haha
Reactions: CoolBreeze and CB4

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
This was 100% on coaching. Run the damn ball. How hard is that? Sure I got the pick right, but I am actually angry at the stupidity of the Purdon't coaches.
Those are the kinds of things some coaches do when they haven't beaten a team for a long time and get desperate. They end up getting too cute with the playcalling and lose the game.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
25 first downs*
426 Total Yards*
365 Passing Yards*
and 31 Points

Yep….he coaches like Cameron Diaz.

Folks in Happy Valley will learn there is “Something About Manny”. 😀

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This was 100% on coaching. Run the damn ball. How hard is that? Sure I got the pick right, but I am actually angry at the stupidity of the Purdon't coaches.
Those are the kinds of things some coaches do when they haven't beaten a team for a long time and get desperate. They end up getting too cute with the playcalling and lose the game.
Amen to that. This is 1,000% on Brohm’s shoulders. If I were him, I wouldn’t have been able to face my team in the post-game locker room.

You bust your body all offseason, train, train, train in the hot sun, come out and outplay a traditional national power. But you lose because your $4 million+ coach can’t manage the clock better than a rec league volunteer.

I was watching the game and scared the cats yelling at the TV. What a maroon.

Late add: Found this quote in an article from the Indianapolis Star:

“With a 31-28 lead and 6:27 remaining in Thursday night's season opener, Purdue football coach Jeff Brohm's team threw the ball on 11 of its next 12 plays, 14 of 15 including plays negated by penalties. It gave Penn State the ball with 2:22 remaining and two timeouts to score what would be the game-winning touchdown.”

That abomination tells you all you need to know. To quote John McEnroe, “You CANNOT be serious!”

If you care to read the whole article, Google Brohm clock management, and it pops up at the top of the return.

Brohm’s justification was that he wants his team to be aggresssive. He ended by saying, “Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn’t.”

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Twitter was hammering Brohm's clock management skills last night after the.

Reece Davis posted Homer Smith's book cover as suggested reading for Brohm!

I knew Homer Smith had a book. That man was an offensive genius. Bill Walsh, who I think Smith coached with at some point, probably also has books on this topic.

What I'm getting from this first week is that many of these up and coming coaches are not even close to ready for prime time. Brohm. Neal Brown had some bad blunders as well with clock management and 4th down decisions.

These are basic, core, foundational skills that you simply MUST have to be a great head coach. It's akin to a great RB who doesn't take care of the ball and is prone to fumbling.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
IMO, he's usually great when it matters.
In fairness, I should have stipulated it's mainly leading up to half time when I think we could score again, but he goes slow. It's his nature and who am I to question it except I wish we'd be more aggressive a times before the half.

You are right that in the crunch he does do a good job, except when he lobbied for adding 1 second, but I digress! :oops:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Oh yeah, that's true Jeff. Sometimes you get fired too.

Of course this is Purdue. Who would likely terminate its football program if it weren't for those Big Ten contracts.
Brohm needs to remember the famous quote by Jerry Glanville when he was with the Houston Oilers. He was giving the business to a rookie back judge whom Jerry thought had made several questionable calls during the game. Paraphrasing - “This is the NFL. This isn’t college or homecoming. This is the NFL which stands for “Not For Long” if you keep making calls like this….”

Jeff can play the “sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t” card but “not for long”…

• Haha
Reactions: BamaMoon

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
In fairness, I should have stipulated it's mainly leading up to half time when I think we could score again, but he goes slow. It's his nature and who am I to question it except I wish we'd be more aggressive a times before the half.

You are right that in the crunch he does do a good job, except when he lobbied for adding 1 second, but I digress! :oops:
Even that was the right call - just didn’t work out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.