Question: Time for a new TV...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've just about settled on the LG OLED55C9AUA. I'd like larger, but the study just isn't big enough for anything above a 55". I like what I see about the OLED sets but I'm still a little leery of the "burn-in" issue. Any experience out there?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I've just about settled on the LG OLED55C9AUA. I'd like larger, but the study just isn't big enough for anything above a 55". I like what I see about the OLED sets but I'm still a little leery of the "burn-in" issue. Any experience out there?
55" is plenty big and it will look huge in a small room. I am a Samsung guy so I don't know much about the LG.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
55" is plenty big and it will look huge in a small room. I am a Samsung guy so I don't know much about the LG.
The Samsung QLED system is an updated and improved LCD. With the OLED, each pixel is an organic light emitting diode, not just a general light source behind a screen...

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Wirecutter is my go-to for detailed and relatively unbiased purchasing advice for almost everything. Not much on OLEDs in their review (they recommended LG C8 in April which looks like the prior version of the one you like), I have no OLED experience, and you’ve probably already done tons of research but you might get some value out of their reviews:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-tv/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I bought to 65" C8 last year and the picture is amazing.

So many features that you'll have to play with it a bit to get it like you want it.

I was worried about the overall brightness, but that has been no problem in a bright room.

Also was worried about burn-in but have not noticed a single problem with it (knock on wood).

I strongly recommend the OLED TV's.

My other TV is a plasma and no other TV has come close to it in terms of the overall package: color reproduction, smooth picture with no motion blur, etc;... until the OLED. There were concerns about those with burn-in as well and 10 years later I've seen no problem with it, either.

I do go for deep blacks so my brightness settings are lower than average - I like it that way and it probably helps defend against that issue. You'll see perfect blacks without the artifacts when bright lights are present on a black background like with LED TV's.

The screen is also quite glare resistant with those TV's. That's important for me because I have huge windows in the great room and no practical way to block them off.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I bought to 65" C8 last year and the picture is amazing.

So many features that you'll have to play with it a bit to get it like you want it.

I was worried about the overall brightness, but that has been no problem in a bright room.

Also was worried about burn-in but have not noticed a single problem with it (knock on wood).

I strongly recommend the OLED TV's.

My other TV is a plasma and no other TV has come close to it in terms of the overall package: color reproduction, smooth picture with no motion blur, etc;... until the OLED. There were concerns about those with burn-in as well and 10 years later I've seen no problem with it, either.

I do go for deep blacks so my brightness settings are lower than average - I like it that way and it probably helps defend against that issue. You'll see perfect blacks without the artifacts when bright lights are present on a black background like with LED TV's.

The screen is also quite glare resistant with those TV's. That's important for me because I have huge windows in the great room and no practical way to block them off.
Thanks. LG and Sony have taken some measures against burn-in. One of them is to slightly shift an element like the CNN logo slightly after an interval, so that different pixels are "tickled." The other is to dim the picture, if it's not changed within a certain interval. My main watching room is not terribly bright and has no windows. My living room, where watching is rare, has four skylights and three walls of windows. With our first big screen, a Toshiba plasma, reflection during the day was a problem. One problem which is peculiar to me is that a lot of my work - document production, research, email, etc., is performed in the same study where the TV is located. I have a habit of leaving CNN on while I work, muted, unless "Breaking News" (I know) catches the corner of my eye. If we buy the OLED today, I plan to discontinue that habit. BTW, that Toshiba plasma still has the best picture in the house...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Thanks. LG and Sony have taken some measures against burn-in. One of them is to slightly shift an element like the CNN logo slightly after an interval, so that different pixels are "tickled." The other is to dim the picture, if it's not changed within a certain interval. My main watching room is not terribly bright and has no windows. My living room, where watching is rare, has four skylights and three walls of windows. With our first big screen, a Toshiba plasma, reflection during the day was a problem. One problem which is peculiar to me is that a lot of my work - document production, research, email, etc., is performed in the same study where the TV is located. I have a habit of leaving CNN on while I work, muted, unless "Breaking News" (I know) catches the corner of my eye. If we buy the OLED today, I plan to discontinue that habit. BTW, that Toshiba plasma still has the best picture in the house...

Here are the burn-in results. The CNN TV's do the worst: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

My plasma is a Panasonic. Your plasma will soon be the 2nd best picture in the house.

My windows are huge. I have no problems.

You really will have to play with the settings to get the picture you want and it will take a little getting used to (I may have triggered someone's pet grammar peeve). Each input can be programmed for different settings which is great because I watch movies and TV differently than sports.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Here are the burn-in results. The CNN TV's do the worst: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

My plasma is a Panasonic. Your plasma will soon be the 2nd best picture in the house.

You really will have to play with the settings to get the picture you want and it will take a little getting used to (I may have triggered someone's pet grammar peeve). Each input can be programmed for different settings which is great because I watch movies and TV differently than sports.
I copied down Consumer Reports suggested settings. I had no idea it would be so complex...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

BTW, I had already seen the Rtings tests. You'd think that CNN would periodically set their logo to the other side...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I have mine set for all the burn-in prevention. CNN is one of the worst, if not the worst.

The settings are really complex and I had to play with them a lot to get the picture I want. Drove Mrs. NT17 crazy until I quit messing with it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have mine set for all the burn-in prevention. CNN is one of the worst, if not the worst.

The settings are really complex and I had to play with them a lot to get the picture I want. Drove Mrs. NT17 crazy until I quit messing with it.
How does this compare to yours? These are Consumer Reports' suggested settings:

PICTURE SETTINGS
Picture Mode: Expert (Dark Room)
Contrast: 98
Brightness: 50
Gamma: BT.1886
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color Temperature: Warm2
OLED Light: 46
Color Gamut: Auto
Peak Brightness: High
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On
TruMotion: User (De-Blur: 10).
All other settings should be set to "off" or zero "0." Any individual R,G, or B color subcontrols, if present, should remain at their default settings.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My nephew came and helped me move around the circle of TVs. We got the new LG in place early enough to catch the end of the open. I was impressed with the factory settings, TBF. I'm not sure I could improve them...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Did you get the settings to your liking?
The story is too long for here. The first X1 box from Comcast, capable of 4K, was defective. Now, they're supposedly shipping me a replacement. As you can see, that series of events started back on June 13. The mistreatment by Comcast was enough that I came within an eyelash of changing to AT&T. However, customer service for AT&T has taken a nose-dive. Since the Trump tax cut, they have fired 7K people and outsourced CS to overseas. There are equally as many horror stories with them as Comcast now. I'll report back after receiving the new box, if it works. I had in mind the ladies World Cup when I bought the TV set. That has now come and gone...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.