Time for Herbstreit to reel it in

VernonTider

Scout Team
Nov 9, 2019
One of the things I always appreciated about Kirk Herbstreit was his ability to at least come off as unbiased on TV, while talking about the SEC and Big 10 — most of you know he played at Ohio State.

The last couple of years, Herbstreit has become the Big 10’s Finebaum, and by that, I don’t mean Finebaum is bad. I mean Herbstreit just seems like a water-carrier for getting the Big 10’s message over whenever possible. I don’t think he believes for one freaking second that Minnesota is getting back into the playoff hunt. But he’s sure selling it on GameDay. And I thought his argument for Alabama not going over Oregon if we beat Auburn — that Oregon lost in the first game of the season?!?! — was moronic and unlike him.

I still like his work as an analyst, but I think there’s some truth to what we’ve all heard a few years ago, that the CFP committee listens to his opinions. To me, even though I still think we can get back in it, Herbstreit is wanting a Bama-free CFP.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I guess that you have forgotten that less than 2 years ago Herbstreit said that Alabama should get into the CFP over Ohio State. He was surprised that Alabama did get in because he was sure that the committee would not be able to see past the fact that OSU was 12-1 and a conference champion while Alabama did not even play in the SECCG, but he still contended that Alabama deserved the spot.

You are seeing something that isn't there. He is the least biased analyst in the sport. But he is not perfect. He was wrong about what the CFP would do in 2017. IMO, he is wrong again this year.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
One of the things I always appreciated about Kirk Herbstreit was his ability to at least come off as unbiased on TV, while talking about the SEC and Big 10 — most of you know he played at Ohio State.

The last couple of years, Herbstreit has become the Big 10’s Finebaum, and by that, I don’t mean Finebaum is bad. I mean Herbstreit just seems like a water-carrier for getting the Big 10’s message over whenever possible. I don’t think he believes for one freaking second that Minnesota is getting back into the playoff hunt. But he’s sure selling it on GameDay. And I thought his argument for Alabama not going over Oregon if we beat Auburn — that Oregon lost in the first game of the season?!?! — was moronic and unlike him.

I still like his work as an analyst, but I think there’s some truth to what we’ve all heard a few years ago, that the CFP committee listens to his opinions. To me, even though I still think we can get back in it, Herbstreit is wanting a Bama-free CFP.
Wasn't it Auburn's first game too? With a Freshman QB? VS Superman?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
by that, I don’t mean Finebaum is bad.
I might add in passing that Finebaum is the Jerry Springer of the SEC, and I mean Jerry Springer on his worst days. Finebaum would have to improve substantially to rise to the level of being worthless.
I am disappointed that the SEC networks wastes so much time each broadcasting day to having that man on the channel. I mean, reruns of SEC softball games would be more entertaining and insightful.

VernonTider

Scout Team
Nov 9, 2019
I guess that you have forgotten that less than 2 years ago Herbstreit said that Alabama should get into the CFP over Ohio State. He was surprised that Alabama did get in because he was sure that the committee would not be able to see past the fact that OSU was 12-1 and a conference champion while Alabama did not even play in the SECCG, but he still contended that Alabama deserved the spot.

You are seeing something that isn't there. He is the least biased analyst in the sport. But he is not perfect. He was wrong about what the CFP would do in 2017. IMO, he is wrong again this year.
Not trying to, actually, and I like him. Just seems like lately it’s constantly about the BiG, no offense.

Didn’t forget about him arguing for Bama. And I am not one of those guys who thinks everybody should argue for Alabama. I know better. I still think he is hands-down the best college football analyst modern-day.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Just a note that in 2017 your Buckeyes were 11-2 at selection time (I know you know this it’s just a thing with me).

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Unfortunately, I think Herbstreit is right this time around about TOSU. They are just a more complete team than Bama this year.

VernonTider

Scout Team
Nov 9, 2019
Unfortunately, I think Herbstreit is right this time around about TOSU. They are just a more complete team than Bama this year.
I’ll go one better than that. I think they have a great chance to put an end to LSU. I just haven’t given up hope on Bama getting in. If it’s LSU-Buckeyes, right this minute, I’m going for Ohio State. Sick of seeing Burrow. I guess I’m just bitter, lol

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Herbstreit, Finebaum and any other "analyst" being paid by ESPN has to walk a fine line between their real opinion and what the network wants to convey. And yes that is a real "thing". These guys aren't given free rein to say what they want. They have production meetings before every show, discuss the topics they are to discuss, the "angles" they are to take on said topics and overall "message" they are to convey.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Herbstreit, Finebaum and any other "analyst" being paid by ESPN has to walk a fine line between their real opinion and what the network wants to convey. And yes that is a real "thing". These guys aren't given free rein to say what they want. They have production meetings before every show, discuss the topics they are to discuss, the "angles" they are to take on said topics and overall "message" they are to convey.
Yep - there was a piece done a few years back that described the process. I imagine that it has only gotten worse now that ESPN has clamped down on "rogue" analysts.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Years ago, ESPN showed a clip of such a meeting. I was shocked at the time and I've seen nothing like it again. Sorry, replied before turning to page two. Sounds like we both saw the same clip...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
What’s funny is that the thread went down the Herbstreit path vs the discussion that Oregon gets a pass because it was their first game. I think that’s garbage because it was Auburn’s first game too. Especially with a brand new QB

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
What’s funny is that the thread went down the Herbstreit path vs the discussion that Oregon gets a pass because it was their first game. I think that’s garbage because it was Auburn’s first game too. Especially with a brand new QB

Doesn't it count what those two teams have done since that first game?

And, please, don't mistake me for an Oregon fan.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Well, it's probably because ESPN is trying to expand their market area by getting Oregon in there. If BAMA gets in, which I hope happens, all 4 projected teams are from the eastern half of the country. But who cares, the eastern half of the country cares more about college football than the western half.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.