News Article: Time to face reality: ‘No one is playing college football in the fall’ (or are they?)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
This thread has once against strayed into a general discussion about the virus (not specifically about football), so while I'm going to leave it here until this weekend, once Bama's season starts (this Sunday = GAME WEEK), I'm moving this to non-sports.

We've shown a lot of latitude over the last six months as dealing with a global pandemic is new to all of us, but once Bama starts playing ball, this forum will be back to college football discussions only. From that point on if there's a post about COVID19 that's not specifically and directly addressing college football, it's gonna get nuked.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
First sentence - those are statistics
Second sentence - to prove you're wrong, I'm going to cite statistics

Also, the 2.2 million was on the basis of doing nothing.

Which sounds real good except some of you folks want to insist the disease was here earlier.....so doesn't that mean we had deaths from people who were Covid positive who NEVER HAD A TEST DONE?

This whole "the death count is misleading" is so much horse crap it makes me want to vomit. Let's say - just for grins - that HALF of the deaths weren't Covid.

Is "only 100,000 dead" REALLY an argument you wish to use?

"The CDC had to admit" is one of the most hilarious forms of "I get my news from Facebook memes" on Tidefans right now. The link below is from May:

Note carefully Table 4 - " Table 4 shows the types of health conditions and contributing causes mentioned in conjunction with deaths involving coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). For 7% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned. For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.5 additional conditions or causes per death. The number of deaths with each condition or cause is shown for all deaths and by age groups.

Just because Gateway Pundit only discovered the August update because they weren't reading in May doesn't mean the CDC was forced to do anything.

That's all fine and good - but rest assured it will only take ONE DEAD PLAYER at a major school to blow this whole thing up. We've already had one at a smaller one.
The death at the smaller school was @ a school that had already canceled football if I’m not mistaken.

NOT starting anything or taking sides here...just a thought...

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
There are products out there right now that have been FDA approved to kill Coronavirus on contact AND continue to kill it for up to 90 days...We need this in our locker room, weight room and on our busses...the whole school would benefit too!!!

Reactions: Jay Hughes

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
So you are saying that all experts said to wear a mask from day one? Fauci, really? You are saying that all experts said that it is going to be a global pandemic like no one has seen in their lifetime? No one said that it will be like the flu? All experts agreed about the way the virus was transmitted and the proper way to sanitize surfaces? Everyone agreed on when to wear gloves and when not to wear gloves? Etc, etc...

And Cuomo who relied on the "advice of experts" sent the sick elderly back to nursing homes. No mistakes there?

It doesn't take 2 detectives and a psychic to see that mistakes were made. I am not vilifying anyone. We know more today than before and if it started today, knowing what we know, the death toll would be lower. That's all I am saying. And it is odd that you can't see that we have learned more and accept that it just may have an impact.
I thought your comment was related to the conversation above, not a list of grievances from you.

The numbers in question were likelihood of dying on the way to the game vs dying from covid. The best way I know to address that is by deaths per 100k population. That number has nothing to do with case fatality rates or infection fatality rates or with which politician you like over another or even WHY those people died and which politician you believe (or I believe) is more responsible for them.

The fact is that those people are dead no matter who is to blame. We can't count some states and not others or go back and change any mistakes that were made, so the numbers are what they are and will not change based on wishful thinking.

Reactions: UAllday and B1GTide

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This thread has once against strayed into a general discussion about the virus (not specifically about football), so while I'm going to leave it here until this weekend, once Bama's season starts (this Sunday = GAME WEEK), I'm moving this to non-sports.

We've shown a lot of latitude over the last six months as dealing with a global pandemic is new to all of us, but once Bama starts playing ball, this forum will be back to college football discussions only. From that point on if there's a post about COVID19 that's not specifically and directly addressing college football, it's gonna get nuked.
Thank you! So much division and at this point people are just repeating the same things over and over.

I'm sick of it!

We are playing ball. Let's talk about that!!!

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Isn't the original topic now moot anyway? Now if we actually finish the season is a whole different issue.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
The issue at this point isn't lots of players getting the virus, it's a small number of players getting the virus and then being in the vicinity of teammates who then have to sit out due to contact tracing.

Hopefully with the uptick in testing at Bama as well as the other tech this won't be an issue. I don't expect Alabama to have to cancel any games this year due to covid. I am concerned about other teams though.

The most interesting thing this year will be seeing how well teams have handled things during this weird off season. A team that's not super talented but has buckled down and been laser focused may upset some teams that weren't really ready to play this year. I expect to see some *very* interesting SEC scores this Saturday. Maybe not final scores, but I think it will be hard to read a lot out of this first slate of games (except for Bama of course, I expect them to come out and crush Mizzou because).

Reactions: crimsonaudio

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The issue at this point isn't lots of players getting the virus, it's a small number of players getting the virus and then being in the vicinity of teammates who then have to sit out due to contact tracing.

Hopefully with the uptick in testing at Bama as well as the other tech this won't be an issue. I don't expect Alabama to have to cancel any games this year due to covid. I am concerned about other teams though.

The most interesting thing this year will be seeing how well teams have handled things during this weird off season. A team that's not super talented but has buckled down and been laser focused may upset some teams that weren't really ready to play this year. I expect to see some *very* interesting SEC scores this Saturday. Maybe not final scores, but I think it will be hard to read a lot out of this first slate of games (except for Bama of course, I expect them to come out and crush Mizzou because).
I believe this is what has gotten the Big 12 this year. You can tell which ones were "laser focused" and which ones were not.

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
I want to give a special thanks to Trevor Lawrence, Greg Sankey, Justin Fields, John Swofford, Bob Bowlsby, Clay Travis, coaches like Nick Saban, athletic directors, players, doctors, and other leaders who stood up and made this season possible. #WeWantToPlay

0lk7ds.gif

Reactions: TiderJack
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.