News Article: Time to face reality: ‘No one is playing college football in the fall’ (or are they?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
If Gallettes and other bars won't enforce any social distancing standards, perhaps the city should come in and shut them down for a week to get their attention.
No way Maddox does that with students in town. He was all set to cut off alcohol sales at 9pm last week, but a few bar owners had a meeting with him, and it moved back to 11pm. He's more concerned with revenue, and appearing to want to curb the virus.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Georgia St QB diagnosed with heart condition from COVID19

VVVVVVV
This is why there won't be football
How will football change this? If these kids are going to get Covid, and any associated complications, they are going to get it mixing with other students, not as a result of football activities.

Stopping football while allowing schools to remain open is hypocrisy.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
How will football change this? If these kids are going to get Covid, and any associated complications, they are going to get it mixing with other students, not as a result of football activities.

Stopping football while allowing schools to remain open is hypocrisy.
Football doesn't allow much of ANY social distancing when played. It is also a sport (much like basketball) that sweat switches bodies on every play. It's why sports like baseball and golf are not as impacted by the virus. It's not as "intimate" of a sport. But we'll see how the media digest this story and presents to the general public. Should be interesting for conversation to say the least.

And to add, I still say the amount of games a football season has compared to MLB will also be a threat to having a football season. MLB's "shortened" season is still 60 games. So a team can somewhat afford to have some players get sick, sit out, have a game or three cancelled, then get back into it. Football won't work that way.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Football doesn't allow much of ANY social distancing when played. It is also a sport (much like basketball) that sweat switches bodies on every play. It's why sports like baseball and golf are not as impacted by the virus. It's not as "intimate" of a sport. But we'll see how the media digest this story and presents to the general public. Should be interesting for conversation to say the least.
This is not going to spread more rapidly because of football activity. If anything the desire to play will cause it to spread less rapidly among players as they will limit their exposure from the real problem - their fellow students.

Anyone who advocates colleges remaining open while also advocating for the shutdown of football is simply not applying basic logic. But I don't hear any conferences suggesting that they send the kids home.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
This is not going to spread more rapidly because of football activity. If anything the desire to play will cause it to spread less rapidly among players as they will limit their exposure from the real problem - their fellow students.

Anyone who advocates colleges remaining open while also advocating for the shutdown of football is simply not applying basic logic. But I don't hear any conferences suggesting that they send the kids home.
Basic logic has long missed the boat on this clown show of 2020. LOL!

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

VVVVVVV
Is there any way of knowing at this point whether the covid-induced myocarditis is a permanent feature or a passing thing?
The oldest covid case in the entire planet is less than nine months old at this point.
For the record, I am not a cardiologist.
I do know that if a cardiologist gets something wrong in regards to a patient's heart, he frequently does not get a chance to fix the error. It is not like the patient has two hearts. Screw up the one God gave him and it's time to cancel Christmas.

Last edited:
Reactions: dtgreg

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Is there any way of knowing at this point whether the covid-induced myocarditis is a permanent feature or a passing thing?
The oldest covid case in the entire planet is less than nine months old at this point.
I do know that if a cardiologist gets something in regards to a patient's heart, he frequently does not get a chance to fix the error. It is not like the patient has two hearts. Screw up the one God gave him and it's time to cancel Christmas.
I have read a few doctors' comments on this and they pretty much all believe that it will heal completely given a proper diagnosis and treatment. The key being early diagnosis. College athletes are a lot more likely to get an proper diagnosis than their student peers, IMO. College medical teams are specifically looking for this.

• Thank You
Reactions: Tidewater

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I do know that if a cardiologist gets something in regards to a patient's heart, he frequently does not get a chance to fix the error. It is not like the patient has two hearts. Screw up the one God gave him and it's time to cancel Christmas.
I'm not agreeing with the article. I'm just pointing out articles like this being posted in the manner it is won't help football's cause.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm not agreeing with the article. I'm just pointing out articles like this being posted in the manner it is won't help football's cause.
Bamabuzzard, I'm not taking issue with you (or the article). I was just curious how long the myocarditis might last.

I agree with B1GTide, as well. there is going to be a lot of (temporary) attrition this season. If a player gets Covid and is asymptomatic, he's going to get quarantined for a few weeks. If he gets Covid and ends up being one of those "I felt like I got hit by a truck" cases, he's going to be quarantined and out for a bit longer (quarantine + recovery time/reconditioning).
At its most benign, there will probably be significant roster volatility week to week. If you're the 3rd string at your position, best be ready to play any given week. It may end up being: "1st string sick, 2nd string sick, next man up!"

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

VVVVVVV
I did not see anything in that article that said this is why there won't be football. I saw a kid say he was very thankful it was diagnosed while he was part of the football team and had medical staff that he said "help keep me safe". Not calling anyone out, but it seems every time a perceived negative new report comes out the "that did it and it's over". I think by now we know some players are going to get sick and some may have more serious conditions but the fact is the season is going to go forth unless a huge outbreak, god forbid, happens.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I said that, not the article. There are already two major P5 conferences who have determined it wasn't safe to allow football. We would be foolish to believe they made their decision based completely on the latest, "most reliable" medical information regarding the virus. Optics, perceived liability, and other non medical "things" influenced their decision. So when you start seeing articles like the one I attached, where they recklessly piece mill crap like a player developed a heart condition due to COVID19, without fully addressing whether it was temporary, permanent etc. Whether we agree with it or not, things like that do play into decisions.

I did not see anything in that article that said this is why there won't be football. I saw a kid say he was very thankful it was diagnosed while he was part of the football team and had medical staff that he said "help keep me safe". Not calling anyone out, but it seems every time a perceived negative new report comes out the "that did it and it's over". I think by now we know some players are going to get sick and some may have more serious conditions but the fact is the season is going to go forth unless a huge outbreak, god forbid, happens.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
The @SEC has clarified and expanded its COVID-19 management requirements by specifying the cardiac evaluation requirements in its initial report and confirming a third weekly test close to competition.
I know these tests aren't done free of charge. Someone's getting paid. Do we know who the vendor/vendors are who make these tests? Probably too late to buy stock. 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

And to add, I still say the amount of games a football season has compared to MLB will also be a threat to having a football season. MLB's "shortened" season is still 60 games. So a team can somewhat afford to have some players get sick, sit out, have a game or three cancelled, then get back into it. Football won't work that way.
I pretty much put the college football season at 4 games O/U without major stoppage. Noway coaches like Lane Kiffin, Kirby, or Farmer Ed would do the things necessary to stop the spread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.