News Article: Time to face reality: ‘No one is playing college football in the fall’ (or are they?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think it was Barrett Salle (sp?) that tweeted something like this: "Seems Big 10 wanted to be trendsetters (in previous decision to cancel the season), and they expected everyone else to follow but they misread the room."

I've thought this was the case all along. It's like the person who thinks they are better and know more than anyone else trying to lead and then looking like a fool to the in touch person.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Luckily the death rate is very very small. And even smaller for people who are perfectly healthy. More likely to die on the way to the game than by Covid. The show goes on!
11.2/100k killed in auto accidents vs 49.65/100k (another source says 59.6/100k) by COVID-19 in the USA. It should be noted a full year has not passed since the beginning of the current pandemic so that number will inevitably be higher once a full year has passed.

Sources:

Those are the facts. They may or may not sway anyone's opinion and I'm not trying to sway your opinion; but please check your "facts" before putting them out there.

• Thank You
Reactions: B1GTide and Con

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I was glad the BIG10 put the lives of the students above money. There is no way to count the number of deaths gathering so many in one area will cause.
This doesn't make sense. They have students on campus, do they not? There will be no fans in the stands of any Big Ten football games. What they are doing with their football teams is far safer than what they've already been doing with the general student population. And to my knowledge, there have been zero deaths of Big Ten students from getting Covid by attending classes.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Or you could look at it like you just got a turr’ble spot on 4th and inches late in the 4th quarter and line judge Mark Twain came back at you not with a review but with the consolation prize of “Lies, d@mned lies, and statistics”...

11.2/100k killed in auto accidents vs 49.65/100k (another source says 59.6/100k) by COVID-19 in the USA. It should be noted a full year has not passed since the beginning of the current pandemic so that number will inevitably be higher once a full year has passed.

Sources:

Those are the facts. They may or may not sway anyone's opinion and I'm not trying to sway your opinion; but please check your "facts" before putting them out there.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al

Sources:

Those are statistics not facts. The fact is 2 million deaths were predicted. The death count is misleading as it counts people that had COVID and died not healthy people that died because of COVID. The CDC had to admit that 94% of the COVID deaths had on average 2.1 co-morbidities. The common cold(also a coronavirus) would take most of these people out. Most were at or past life expectancy. The smart thing would have been to quarantine older and unhealthy people while not locking anything down or canceling games invoking athletes at the peak of their physical fitness.

tidefan89

Scout Team
Dec 22, 2009
Thomasville, AL

Sources:

I’m sure those numbers would look much different if you’re strictly looking at college age kids.

• Facepalm
Reactions: B1GTide

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Or you could look at it like you just got a turr’ble spot on 4th and inches late in the 4th quarter and line judge Mark Twain came back at you not with a review but with the consolation prize of “Lies, d@mned lies, and statistics”...
A non-truthful statement was presented. I countered it with actual facts. The non-truth presented was a fake statistic without the numbers. So I countered a made-up statistic (more likely to die on way to game than by covid) with real statistics.

Those are statistics not facts. The fact is 2 million deaths were predicted. The death count is misleading as it counts people that had COVID and died not healthy people that died because of COVID. The CDC had to admit that 94% of the COVID deaths had on average 2.1 co-morbidities. The common cold(also a coronavirus) would take most of these people out. Most were at or past life expectancy. The smart thing would have been to quarantine older and unhealthy people while not locking anything down or canceling games invoking athletes at the peak of their physical fitness.
There is no fix for willful ignorance but one which originates within you. "Predicted deaths" is misleading since the number predicted changed congruent with changes in behaviors. The number of deaths is universally thought by credible experts in epidemiology to be an undercount. It has been known and stated all along that preexisting illness and age have been associated with increased risk of death. The common cold very rarely causes death and about half of colds are caused by a rhinovirus while only about 20% are caused by a coronavirus, none of which are the SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes COVID-19 disease. The fact is that any COVID-19 caused death is still the death of someone that would otherwise be alive if not for this disease, no matter age or preexisting conditions. Your minimizing of those deaths does not change that. The CDC has repeatedly stated that the vast majority of COVID-related deaths are COVID-caused deaths. See below:

Quote:

Experts say it's not surprising that so few people who died from COVID-19 had no underlying conditions listed on their death certificates. It is rare for people not to have multiple medical issues at death.

"The underlying cause of death is the condition that began the chain of events that ultimately led to the person's death," Dr. Robert Anderson, who oversees the CDC's death statistics work, said in a statement. "In 92% of all deaths that mention COVID-19, COVID-19 is listed as the underlying cause of death."

Coach Saban is 68 years old. Are you suggesting we should place him in quarantine?

I don't know who or what you are arguing against - I explicitly stated I was trying to correct an inaccurate statement and not change anyone's opinion on this matter. I did not even state my opinion on this matter and my opinion should not be inferred simply because I correct an inaccurate statement.

To keep things on track and stop any suspense I'll state my opinion: If play can occur safely and with minimal actively managed risk then let's get on with it with all reasonable and appropriate safety measures in place and in force. If not then let's do something different so we can make it (and other activities) safe with minimal actively managed risk. This opinion is unchanged from the first day of the pandemic.

I’m sure those numbers would look much different if you’re strictly looking at college age kids.
Fans of all ages have traditionally attended games, so your point is unclear to me.

Last edited:

Akazo

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 22, 2010
A non-truthful statement was presented. I countered it with actual facts. The non-truth presented was a fake statistic without the numbers. So I countered a made-up statistic (more likely to die on way to game than by covid) with real statistics.

There is no fix for willful ignorance but one which originates within you. "Predicted deaths" is misleading since the number predicted changed congruent with changes in behaviors. The number of deaths is universivally thought by credible experts in epidemiology to be an undercount. It has been known and stated all along that preexisting illness and age have been associated with increased risk of death. The common cold very rarely causes death and about half of colds are caused by a rhinovirus while only about 20% are caused by a coronavirus, none of which are the SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes COVID-19 disease. The fact is that any COVID-19 caused death is still the death of someone that would otherwise most likely be alive if not for this disease, no matter age or preexisting conditions. Your minimizing of those deaths does not change that. The CDC has repeatedly stated that the vast majority of COVID-related deaths are COVID-caused deaths. See below:

Quote:

Experts say it's not surprising that so few people who died from COVID-19 had no underlying conditions listed on their death certificates. It is rare for people not to have multiple medical issues at death.

"The underlying cause of death is the condition that began the chain of events that ultimately led to the person's death," Dr. Robert Anderson, who oversees the CDC's death statistics work, said in a statement. "In 92% of all deaths that mention COVID-19, COVID-19 is listed as the underlying cause of death."

Coach Saban is 68 years old. Are you suggesting we should place him in quarantine?

I don't know who or what you are arguing against - I explicitly stated I was trying to correct an inaccurate statement and not change anyone's opinion on this matter. I did not even state my opinion on this matter and my opinion should not be inferred simply because I correct an inaccurate statement.

To keep things on track and stop any suspense I'll state my opinion: If play can occur safely and with minimal actively managed risk then let's get on with it with all reasonable and appropriate safety measures in place and in force. If not then let's do something different so we can make it (and other activities) safe with minimal actively managed risk. This opinion is unchanged from the first day of the pandemic.

Fans of all ages have traditionally attended games, so your point is unclear to me.
Not to get in the middle of things but I would make one small point. We know more now than we did before. So the past death rates that included a multitude of mistakes by a multitude of "experts" and others probably doesn't apply to today.

Reactions: Relayer

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Not to get in the middle of things but I would make one small point. We know more now than we did before. So the past death rates that included a multitude of mistakes by a multitude of "experts" and others probably doesn't apply to today.
Feel free to contact them to point out their mistakes one by one and in detail based on your examination of the records made by the attendings actually taking care of those who died when they died. Once you've done that we can discuss the "more accurate" death rates that result from your collaboration.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think it was Barrett Salle (sp?) that tweeted something like this: "Seems Big 10 wanted to be trendsetters (in previous decision to cancel the season), and they expected everyone else to follow but they misread the room."

I've thought this was the case all along. It's like the person who thinks they are better and know more than anyone else trying to lead and then looking like a fool to the in touch person.
You ever try to deal with Yankees?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'll set aside the fact you don't seem to grasp that the REASON we know more than we did before is not because of a bunch of clowns on Facebook sharing memes; it's because of the work of (wait for it) experts in the field.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Those are statistics not facts. The fact is 2 million deaths were predicted.
First sentence - those are statistics
Second sentence - to prove you're wrong, I'm going to cite statistics

Also, the 2.2 million was on the basis of doing nothing.

The death count is misleading as it counts people that had COVID and died not healthy people that died because of COVID.
Which sounds real good except some of you folks want to insist the disease was here earlier.....so doesn't that mean we had deaths from people who were Covid positive who NEVER HAD A TEST DONE?

This whole "the death count is misleading" is so much horse crap it makes me want to vomit. Let's say - just for grins - that HALF of the deaths weren't Covid.

Is "only 100,000 dead" REALLY an argument you wish to use?

The CDC had to admit that 94% of the COVID deaths had on average 2.1 co-morbidities.

"The CDC had to admit" is one of the most hilarious forms of "I get my news from Facebook memes" on Tidefans right now. The link below is from May:

Note carefully Table 4 - " Table 4 shows the types of health conditions and contributing causes mentioned in conjunction with deaths involving coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). For 7% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned. For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.5 additional conditions or causes per death. The number of deaths with each condition or cause is shown for all deaths and by age groups.

Just because Gateway Pundit only discovered the August update because they weren't reading in May doesn't mean the CDC was forced to do anything.

The common cold(also a coronavirus) would take most of these people out. Most were at or past life expectancy. The smart thing would have been to quarantine older and unhealthy people while not locking anything down or canceling games invoking athletes at the peak of their physical fitness.
That's all fine and good - but rest assured it will only take ONE DEAD PLAYER at a major school to blow this whole thing up. We've already had one at a smaller one.

Akazo

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 22, 2010
Feel free to contact them to point out their mistakes one by one and in detail based on your examination of the records made by the attendings actually taking care of those who died when they died. Once you've done that we can discuss the "more accurate" death rates that result from your collaboration.
So you are saying that all experts said to wear a mask from day one? Fauci, really? You are saying that all experts said that it is going to be a global pandemic like no one has seen in their lifetime? No one said that it will be like the flu? All experts agreed about the way the virus was transmitted and the proper way to sanitize surfaces? Everyone agreed on when to wear gloves and when not to wear gloves? Etc, etc...

And Cuomo who relied on the "advice of experts" sent the sick elderly back to nursing homes. No mistakes there?

It doesn't take 2 detectives and a psychic to see that mistakes were made. I am not vilifying anyone. We know more today than before and if it started today, knowing what we know, the death toll would be lower. That's all I am saying. And it is odd that you can't see that we have learned more and accept that it just may have an impact.

Reactions: Titans&Tide

Akazo

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 22, 2010
I'll set aside the fact you don't seem to grasp that the REASON we know more than we did before is not because of a bunch of clowns on Facebook sharing memes; it's because of the work of (wait for it) experts in the field.
I do know the reason and I am not attempting to vilify anyone for the mistakes. Even Fauci said contradictory things. That is the way these things happen. Knowledge is an evolutionary process. My only point was that we are in a better place today to compare the safety of certain activities than before. I don't see where this is a debatable point.

Reactions: Titans&Tide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.