News Article: Time to face reality: ‘No one is playing college football in the fall’ (or are they?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
That`s all quite true for the " kids ". Their parents and grandparents to which they may impart the virus? Not so much.
I can partially buy the "parents" arguement. Maybe. Can kids living in a dorm stay away from parents? Sure, quite easily.

Grandparents. I hear this quite often. How often do kids leave their dorm to go visit grandparents? Some might. Solution: don't do that. Dorm or no dorm, they should be staying away from grandparents already.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Only for those spreading misinformation about the severity of this disease. Just like all misinformation posted here, it is going to be challenged.
I absolutely agree. And if you can't get a straight answer out of CNN or Fox News (take your pick), or the president or the WHO (take your pick), and etc, then we won't be getting a straight answer here. I would just stipulate that every sentence that appears to articulate a "fact" is probably wrong, to someone.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I absolutely agree. And if you can't get a straight answer out of CNN or Fox News (take your pick), or the president or the WHO (take your pick), and etc, then we won't be getting a straight answer here. I would just stipulate that every sentence that appears to articulate a "fact" is probably wrong, to someone.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - they are not entitled to their own facts. Anyone who is confused should look to the medical experts for advice, not political leaders or media sources.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree with B1G about the need for innovation and everyone observing recommended solutions to avoid infection. I also agree with Buzz that, regardless of who is to blame, this virus is serious and unpredictable, and IMO is not worth the life threatening potential to fans, students and athletes. I love college football, but can assure you that missing (hopefully) only one season is not going to upset me. Things have been difficult for me since last September and something as insignificant as missing a football season pales in comparison.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
I'm selfish. I want football. But I'm more selfish than this. Let's think about Alabama for a moment. Who would be our OC this year? Could a guy recovering from a "heart procedure" stand a bout with COVID-19?

Here's another thought. What if Miss Terry says "Nick, you're gonna sit this season out because of the grandchildren". Could he really take a year off and ask his team to go out and play? Would he have to retire? If he WERE to retire and we cure this thing in year or two, would he take a job elsewhere? Nasty stuff to contemplate. All for an asterisked season? What if this stuff killed him? BRRRRRRRR.....

Bama75&80

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 5, 2019
.5% of the people in my county are infected with the disease. Yet i'm in a hot spot for the virus. It's fair to attempt to strike a balance between reopening and staying closed and consider both the risk of opening verse the risk of not opening. You can't do that if the discussion just leads to people jamming their fingers in their ears and saying you want everyone to die. Certainly it's something that should be decided on a locality level because the risk is different within different areas of individual states.

That's why I'm asking what evidence is there that shutdowns do anything to stop the spread of the virus? That's an honest question and there are countries that did less than us shutdown wise and have very similar results. If shutting down won't stop the spread of the virus (because other areas of economy are open, because humans will do what they want to do, or any number of other reasons) then what is the purpose of it? At that point to me the negative consequences outweigh the benefits.

Obviously this is talking about college but no reason the people upset think any different about K-12 schools. Here's a couple negatives from shutting down. Mandatory reporters won't see evidence of child abuse, school meals, negative impact on single parent households, negative impact on low income households, many kids simply won't attend school, and I'm certain there are more.
New Zealand is a perfect example on how things could be handled with a satisfactory result. Tough decisions and citizens doing what’s best for the entire country.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - they are not entitled to their own facts. Anyone who is confused should look to the medical experts for advice, not political leaders or media sources.
I'm trying not to disagree. But would you say that the WHO has been a wholly reliable, apolitical source of facts? Has Farci changed his mind? Has the CDC been wholly reliable? Did their tests work while forcing it on everyone declaring it the only reliable source of truth? What about masks, masks were bad, but now they are good, right? What is the status of that quinine thing, good or bad or irrelevant? I believe it was bad, then nothing, then good, then bad, and now it might be good - but if it benefits one political party over another it will soon be bad again. And so on.

The "not entitled to your own facts" is of course undeniably true, but the medical sources we turn to for facts are either directly politicized or mis-reported. They should be saying a whole lot more of "we dont know". My point is that even the WHO, the CDC, Farci, and your local doctor can be mistaken, indeed have proven over and over again to be mistaken or worse.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm trying not to disagree. But would you say that the WHO has been a wholly reliable, apolitical source of facts? Has Farci changed his mind? Has the CDC been wholly reliable? Did their tests work while forcing it on everyone declaring it the only reliable source of truth? What about masks, masks were bad, but now they are good, right? What is the status of that quinine thing, good or bad or irrelevant? I believe it was bad, then nothing, then good, then bad, and now it might be good - but if it benefits one political party over another it will soon be bad again. And so on.

The "not entitled to your own facts" is of course undeniably true, but the medical sources we turn to for facts are either directly politicized or mis-reported. They should be saying a whole lot more of "we dont know". My point is that even the WHO, the CDC, Farci, and your local doctor can be mistaken, indeed have proven over and over again to be mistaken or worse.
This is new, so there were going to be mistakes. There will continue to be mistakes. We can't abandon reason because there are mistakes.

The lie about masks was exactly that - a lie meant to keep people from buying all available PPE, depriving medical professionals of the much needed resources. Fauci has admitted as much, as has the CDC and the WHO. They lied. We need to get over it and stop using that lie as an excuse not to wear a mask.

And, by the way, no reasonable person believes that masks don't help. Forget the science - common sense tells us that it is far better not to have someone carrying a communicable disease breath on us.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
If the CDC sent you a letter, you personally, that they were reaching out to everyone in your profession because you are at severe risk of COVID, that they recommend you quit your job. Would you?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If the CDC sent you a letter, you personally, that they were reaching out to everyone in your profession because you are at severe risk of COVID, that they recommend you quit your job. Would you?
I would reach out to trusted medical professionals and then decide. I would reach out for second opinions from professionals. I would absolutely quit my job if it placed my wife's life in danger. I might make a different decision if it was only my life.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Sorry, I'm trying to stay out of this, but this is just flat out wrong. According to the CDC website, there have been 179 people under the age of 24 have died with Covid.

Source:

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku
You are right, the number appears to be slightly lower. Let's do the math:

The death rate among those below 18 is ~.02%. That is tiny - only 2 in 10,000 who get this die.

But according to the census data, we have 76.4 million students in America. That translates to 15,280 dead if they all get infected. Even if we assume herd immunity at 70%, that would be 10,696 dead. If we cut that number in half with better treatments then we still have over 5 thousand dead children.

We need to find a better way - a way to get past this without risking so many lives. We can do it. We are a nation of innovators. But we can't just go back to school without a plan.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’m just wondering why all these threads that start out “ are we going to have a season” devolve into “ my numbers” game. Really the only numbers that matter are the R numbers and the case numbers. If both are high then we have a serious problem. All that say “well the under 30 crowd seems to be champs with this virus” are missing the fact that those under 30 year olds have to come home at some point to family members that are more at risk. That’s the issue. We have to contain the virus and stop recklessly spread it.

bamacpa70

1st Team
Nov 17, 2003
Roanoke, VA
You are right, the number appears to be slightly lower. Let's do the math:

The death rate among those below 18 is ~.02%. That is tiny - only 2 in 10,000 who get this die.

But according to the census data, we have 76.4 million students in America. That translates to 15,280 dead if they all get infected. Even if we assume herd immunity at 70%, that would be 10,696 dead. If we cut that number in half with better treatments then we still have over 5 thousand dead children.

We need to find a better way - a way to get past this without risking so many lives. We can do it. We are a nation of innovators. But we can't just go back to school without a plan.
So what you're saying is you were flat out wrong. :) I kid, I kid.

Actually, using your number of 70% "herd" immunity, it would translate into 4,584 deaths, then cut that in half, as you did above, that's 2,300 deaths. But like every other projection, even those done by the CDC & WHO, I think this is way overinflated, especially when you consider it's likely less than 1 in 10 cases has been diagnosed, which would change your original starting death rate.

Look, my point isn't to argue that we don't need to be smart about it. Nor is it to argue how many people might die, no one wants anyone to die. My point, which I did not make very well, is that hyperbole is not helpful to the conversation.

My apologies. Not singling you out BIG, I just see too much of it in the news, from both sides, and everywhere I turn. I just want my sports back!

Reactions: B1GTide

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
So what you're saying is you were flat out wrong. :) I kid, I kid.

Actually, using your number of 70% "herd" immunity, it would translate into 4,584 deaths, then cut that in half, as you did above, that's 2,300 deaths. But like every other projection, even those done by the CDC & WHO, I think this is way overinflated, especially when you consider it's likely less than 1 in 10 cases has been diagnosed, which would change your original starting death rate.

Look, my point isn't to argue that we don't need to be smart about it. Nor is it to argue how many people might die, no one wants anyone to die. My point, which I did not make very well, is that hyperbole is not helpful to the conversation.

My apologies. Not singling you out BIG, I just see too much of it in the news, from both sides, and everywhere I turn. I just want my sports back!
Neither is under stating or trivalizing.

Reactions: B1GTide

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Bottom line:

Over 130k people have already died and MAYBE 5-10% of the population has been infected the last I saw. Anyone up for 1.3-2.6 million dead? Oh wait, let's take 70% of either number. Anyone up for 910,00 to 1.8 million dead?

Remember the old saying: When your neighbor is unemployed it's a recession. When you are unemployed it's a depression.

Now let's apply this to COVID-19 statistics. When some poor sap in NYC dies it's sad, well maybe it is and maybe you don't care one iota.

But what if it's one person you do care about? Does 0.02% matter then if your kid is one of the thousands to die?

This whole thing is politicized when it should not be. We can argue all day why that is or we can quit pretending it's nothing and try to protect ourselves, our families, and our neighbors. We can try to save college sports.

Or we can keep doing what we've done and get even more of what we've got, which is death and disability out the yin yang. Surgeries cancelled. Cancer treatments postponed. An economy in shambles.

Forrest 's mama said stupid is as stupid does- she was right. If we keep doing stupid then we are stupid. We have to make a change in behavior to stop this disease from wreaking havoc in every facet of our lives.

I don't give the first damn about your politics, much less the second, when it comes to this very serious public health matter. Do what is right. Do what will improve the situation. Do what will potentially save many lives. Do what will save college sports.

You can make any pee poor excuse you want - doctors make mistakes, someone lied, people disagree, whatever - but if you aren't part of the solution you are part of the problem. Don't be a part of the problem.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Bottom line:

Over 130k people have already died and MAYBE 5-10% of the population has been infected the last I saw. Anyone up for 1.3-2.6 million dead? Oh wait, let's take 70% of either number. Anyone up for 910,00 to 1.8 million dead?

Remember the old saying: When your neighbor is unemployed it's a recession. When you are unemployed it's a depression.

Now let's apply this to COVID-19 statistics. When some poor sap in NYC dies it's sad, well maybe it is and maybe you don't care one iota.

But what if it's one person you do care about? Does 0.02% matter then if your kid is one of the thousands to die?

This whole thing is politicized when it should not be. We can argue all day why that is or we can quit pretending it's nothing and try to protect ourselves, our families, and our neighbors. We can try to save college sports.

Or we can keep doing what we've done and get even more of what we've got, which is death and disability out the yin yang. Surgeries cancelled. Cancer treatments postponed. An economy in shambles.

Forrest 's mama said stupid is as stupid does- she was right. If we keep doing stupid then we are stupid. We have to make a change in behavior to stop this disease from wreaking havoc in every facet of our lives.

I don't give the first damn about your politics, much less the second, when it comes to this very serious public health matter. Do what is right. Do what will improve the situation. Do what will potentially save many lives. Do what will save college sports.

You can make any pee poor excuse you want - doctors make mistakes, someone lied, people disagree, whatever - but if you aren't part of the solution you are part of the problem. Don't be a part of the problem.
Damn dude. You are on a roll today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.