News Article: Time to face reality: ‘No one is playing college football in the fall’ (or are they?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
But everyone wants answers NOW when that simply isn't possible. The only information that can be used to make a decision in the near future is the evidence that is available and not the evidence we want. NO decision will be perfect. The decisions must be made on current evidence with an understanding of the inherent limitations of that evidence and the questions those limitations inevitably invoke.
This is the crux of where I'm coming from at the moment. We're not going to know 100% what the true risk level is until the after action report but at a certain point there is too much accumulated risk factors for the schools to compete. The "#WeWantToPlay" crowd has gotten a lot of press because it serves larger interests in the country but we also do not know how many are willing to play if they have to sign a carte blanche waiver to the university in the process. I tend to think that is why the Big Ten and Pac-12 have gotten spooked because there seem to be a serious player interest, at least within their two conferences specifically, that isn't "I'll play no matter what."

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The B1G just postponed fall sports to the spring.

Well I would expect others to follow. Some sooner than others. When you refuse to make decisions 4-6 months before the season after March Madness has been canceled then you really get the inevitable results we have been seeing the last Week

Reactions: MobtownK

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Well I would expect others to follow. Some sooner than others. When you refuse to make decisions 4-6 months before the season after March Madness has been canceled then you really get the inevitable results we have been seeing the last Week
The problem is twofold:
1- the numbers continue to increase, seemingly unabated, and
2- we're (collectively) still learning about this virus.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The problem is twofold:
1- the numbers continue to increase, seemingly unabated, and
2- we're (collectively) still learning about this virus.
Yes but we haven’t even answered the fan question yet. Even as bad as it has gotten in the MLB, they answered that question from day 1. Hell even most high school football associations have answered that question.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
So much contra-happiness so far in 2020. No small part of it is that i think Alabama was primed for a serious run at a Natl Champ season. Now hope for a legit season is fading.

Curseword.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Nope - won't happen that early. Half the country actually has a winter.
EXACTLY! Just because we have 70 degree days in January and February doesn’t mean that will work in the Ohio Valley, the UP, Midwest and Northeast. Some places are Near frozen through March. The logistics would be a nightmare. They quit.
They should’ve at least waited for Putin’s cure 😉

• Haha
Reactions: bama579 and B1GTide

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Not sure where to put this, so here it goes...
Lou Holtz rants in favor of college football season: 'When they stormed Normandy'

"Let's move on with our life! When they stormed Normandy, they knew there were going to be casualties -- there were going to be risks."

I'm going to put this in the "Probably not helpful" category.
I don't think a Normandy moment could ever happen again because Americans no longer have the stomach for it. The attitude now is more like go hide in a bunker until the problem goes away. I think of Coach Bryant and how he admired players who would play when they were injured. I think if any of his players would have told him they don't want to play because there's a chance they might get sick he'd probably tell them they're no longer part of the team. So I think Coach Bryant would want to play the season and we know Coach Saban does. They're the two greatest so I'm not going to say they're wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.