Today is National Vietnam War Veterans Day

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Proud of the guys in my generation who served over there. By the time I was commissioned and went active, we were bringing more back than were going over.

My father, a WWII vet, thought it was immoral, not the war itself so much as the way it was fought and the resulting loss of American lives, by taking ground and then giving it up only to have to go back.

Reactions: OakMtn4Bama

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
My Dad went (Apr 1970-Apr 1971).

His barracks were bombed twice - epicenter of one bomb was in the room next to his, and he once spent hours trapped under a mattress hiding because when they were calling for him, he didn't know if they were being forced to call for him to drag him off as a POW.

I'm guessing maybe I'm starting to understand that the alcohol was so he could get to sleep because you get waked up twice in less than a year by a bomb, I guess it would make sleep difficult.

And he NEVER talks about it. Ever. What I just told you is all I know of the entire year he was there.

• Thank You
Reactions: GrayTide

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I just noticed the middle guy in the statue pic kinda looks like the character Nick (played by Christopher Walken) in “The Deer Hunter.”

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
My Dad went (Apr 1970-Apr 1971).

His barracks were bombed twice - epicenter of one bomb was in the room next to his, and he once spent hours trapped under a mattress hiding because when they were calling for him, he didn't know if they were being forced to call for him to drag him off as a POW.

I'm guessing maybe I'm starting to understand that the alcohol was so he could get to sleep because you get waked up twice in less than a year by a bomb, I guess it would make sleep difficult.

And he NEVER talks about it. Ever. What I just told you is all I know of the entire year he was there.
The Vietnam Veterans I have known who saw live action would not discuss their service...or did so privately and reluctantly. Each of them had difficulties for years handling their experiences...Sebastian Junger has written a great book about PTSD -- https://www.amazon.com/Tribe-Homecoming-Belonging-Sebastian-Junger/dp/1455566381. We all could benefit from reading this....

Reactions: Bamaro and B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.