BREAKING Tommy Rees hired as OC

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
and

Agreed it's a high bar---even though Bama was one errant field goal away from a real shot of it with AJ McCarron. The thing is, Georgia (thanks partly to the SEC making them cancel their Oklahoma series) has an absurdly easy schedule this year, so they're just about guaranteed a trip to Atlanta for the SEC Championship.
Georgia just barely beat Mizzou. With both Tennessee and USCs getting better, I’m not giving them a pass with an unknown at QB; if TM leaves that doubt grows.

Reactions: DrJJoyner

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Something to note: Milroe's QB at Alabama for two years were BOB. That's it. BOB is not a qb coach.

If Milroe doesn't win a job and he stays a year at Alabama.... He will benefit from Tommy Ree's coaching and I think that's in his best interest but unfortunately, I don't see that happening.
I said in my post he had two wasted years at Bama - I assumed everyone knew who the OC was at the time. My bad.
I’m thinking someone could go back and find the same conversations about JH.
I’m not convinced JM has the drive to achieve what JH did; that’s why I said fall will ultimately tell but spring may give a hint; two QB’s have been in the system. But TR did pretty large things at ND with the quality he had to deal with at QB; I don’t see him doing less with Bama’s QB room.

Reactions: UAH

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I said in my post he had two wasted years at Bama - I assumed everyone knew who the OC was at the time. My bad.
I’m thinking someone could go back and find the same conversations about JH.
I’m not convinced JM has the drive to achieve what JH did; that’s why I said fall will ultimately tell but spring may give a hint; two QB’s have been in the system. But TR did pretty large things at ND with the quality he had to deal with at QB; I don’t see him doing less with Bama’s QB room.
He tailored playcalling around the strength and weaknesses of their QBs. He never had a down-the-field type of QB, hence a lot of "dink and dunk" plays, RPO's, creative pre snap shifting, motions to get guys open in tight spaces. But now, he with the talent at QB he is coming into, he will be able to expand his playcalling and use the entire field.

Reactions: twofbyc

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just catching up on this! A few thoughts:

1. We WON'T be a 60/40 run/pass offense. We don't have to be to become more physical/downhill. It'll be closer to 50/50!

2. Reasoning above is CTR is going to LOVE Simpson IMO. He's athletic and can throw the ball! I was already high on Simpson, but I imagine Simpson can be used more in the running game than some imagine. I think he's a similar athlete to Blake Sims, but even better passer.

3. Looks like we've got a SCHEMER calling plays again. I'm most excited about this! He schemed successful plays at ND when he didn't have nearly the talent he'll have at Bama. His first day to look at the QBs, RBs, OL and WRs and he'll need a two-ply paper towel to wipe away the drool!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Just catching up on this! A few thoughts:

1. We WON'T be a 60/40 run/pass offense. We don't have to be to become more physical/downhill. It'll be closer to 50/50!

2. Reasoning above is CTR is going to LOVE Simpson IMO. He's athletic and can throw the ball! I was already high on Simpson, but I imagine Simpson can be used more in the running game than some imagine. I think he's a similar athlete to Blake Sims, but even better passer.

3. Looks like we've got a SCHEMER calling plays again. I'm most excited about this! He schemed successful plays at ND when he didn't have nearly the talent he'll have at Bama. His first day to look at the QBs, RBs, OL and WRs and he'll need a two-ply paper towel to wipe away the drool!

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
So, I found that part interesting. Let me ask you something: What was the difference between BOB's and Daboll, Locksley , Kiffin play callings? The usage of the TE. BOB didn't' utilize that until Auburn game.

Rees' hiring will shift the focus back to the running the ball physically and the usage of TE, and ability to throw the ball down the field... so to me, that is a game changer for offense and to me, Rees will level the field as much he can because he is that good.

On Milroe- I don't like to bash players, I don't like to talk about them in a negative way because they're still a young kid in college trying to earn education, and I have huge huge respect for him as a man on and off the field. So with that being said... From what I've heard... For him to have a shot, He has to improve significantly this spring, summer and fall to show he can throw the ball. Bama is already looking for a transfer QB, and likely will get one after spring. With that being said, there is good chance Milroe will transfer after spring. I just don't see him as a starter for Alabama. Milroe will be a starter, but I don't think it'll be at Alabama.

Milroe, Simpson and Holstein and Dylan are likely to compete for job, and it'll be narrowed down to two for summer and fall. if they don't impress this spring/summer... We'll see a transfer qb starting for Alabama this fall.
With the discussion of QB's warming back up I went back and looked at the Elite 11 for Simpson and Holstein. Both have huge arms. The main problem both had being pumped up for their throwing session was knocking the hands off of receivers 20 - 30 yards downfield. My bias would be that Simpson has slightly better feet and obviously a year more experience with the offense. They are on a different planet with their motion compared to JM. Milroe I think is very comparable to JH at this point in his progression. Does he have the mental toughness to ultimately succeed the way JH has?

The element we have no insight into is the ability of either QB to handle the pressure and succeed when the opportunity comes the way JH did in the SEC Championship game.

It is difficult to imagine there will be a QB in the portal with more potential than what exists in the current QB room at Alabama.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
With the discussion of QB's warming back up I went back and looked at the Elite 11 for Simpson and Holstein. Both have huge arms. The main problem both had being pumped up for their throwing session was knocking the hands off of receivers 20 - 30 yards downfield. My bias would be that Simpson has slightly better feet and obviously a year more experience with the offense. They are on a different planet with their motion compared to JM. Milroe I think is very comparable to JH at this point in his progression. Does he have the mental toughness to ultimately succeed the way JH has?

The element we have no insight into is the ability of either QB to handle the pressure and succeed when the opportunity comes the way JH did in the SEC Championship game.

It is difficult to imagine there will be a QB in the portal with more potential than what exists in the current QB room at Alabama.
Agreed and if we start taking QB transfers I think it really hampers QB recruiting.

The ONLY way I see us taking a QB transfer after the spring is if the staff believes the QB room is utterly undeveloped and is nowhere ready to produce a "good" (not even great) QB in the fall of 2023. I personally, think our QB room is probably as good as anywhere in the country!

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Rees woke up this morning with a totally new world presented before him. Got a tremendous amount of work to do to get up to speed on personnel, scheme...where the crappers are even. But this is a young coach that will have fresh ideas. I keep hearing over and over how intelligent he is so you know he is up for the task. I don't know, I just think is it a really, really good situation.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Agreed and if we start taking QB transfers I think it really hampers QB recruiting.

The ONLY way I see us taking a QB transfer after the spring is if the staff believes the QB room is utterly undeveloped and is nowhere ready to produce a "good" (not even great) QB in the fall of 2023. I personally, think our QB room is probably as good as anywhere in the country!
CTR has been working with QBs with far less talent and fielded good squads based on their strengths. There could be a transfer out after the Spring but we are surely to have a couple or trio of solid, solid potential starters that are already on campus ready to lead us in the Fall.

Last edited:

Yeah, I don’t see it happening with the talent on the roster. There has been some speculation on the boards that Sam Hartman will follow him from ND. But, while he’s experienced and did well against an ACC schedule, I don’t think he’s an improvement over the guys already in the room.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yeah, I don’t see it happening with the talent on the roster. There has been some speculation on the boards that Sam Hartman will follow him from ND. But, while he’s experienced and did well against an ACC schedule, I don’t think he’s an improvement over the guys already in the room.
Rees recruited...wait for it...Ty Simpson...Rees already knows the potential at QB he'll be working with!

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Here's why I can't take him serious at all.

1. ND has less talents on the team.
2. They lost several QBs and still manage to have successful season.
3. It's ND.
4. Bama has way more talents on the team than ND. Why do you think Kelly left ND for LSU?

His rant was out of context and so I can't take him serious.

All your points may be true, and I hope they are.

But it's also fair to say that any talent gap in South Bend is mitigated by the fact that they don't play anywhere close to an SEC schedule.

2019 SOS: 31st
2020: 51st
2021: 22th
2022; 34th

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
He tailored playcalling around the strength and weaknesses of their QBs. He never had a down-the-field type of QB, hence a lot of "dink and dunk" plays, RPO's, creative pre snap shifting, motions to get guys open in tight spaces. But now, he with the talent at QB he is coming into, he will be able to expand his playcalling and use the entire field.
Oh, my mouth is salivating!!!!

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Here's why I can't take him serious at all.

1. ND has less talents on the team.
2. They lost several QBs and still manage to have successful season.
3. It's ND.
4. Bama has way more talents on the team than ND. Why do you think Kelly left ND for LSU?

His rant was out of context and so I can't take him serious.
As a longtime RBR reader, Erik Evans is not nearly as smart as he thinks he is.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Most of our rivals think the Rees hire is good for them. Notre Dame fans are rejoicing, saying he and Freeman didn’t see eye to eye on things. I’m sure talking heads like Finebaum think Nick settled. The more I look , the more I like the hire. There is a reason Nick tried to hire him a few years ago, the kid is pretty good at scheming. I think a little scheming, with our talent could be incredible. I would like to see a little more passing than he ran at ND, I don’t want to see an offense like McElroy suggests, circa 2012 or so. but I think McElroy is wrong. I don’t think Nick will ever go back to a pure power/zone run game. I just think he will pull back a little from a wide open passing attack. Which baffles as to the interest in Grubb, or maybe that was the issue why Grubb wasn’t offered/declined. Difference in philosophy.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Nope. Look at who we have for 2024.

It's not gonna hurt us.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.