Took my son to lunch today

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
My son bought a new Dodge Ram pick up truck recently and wanted a spray in bed liner so I told him I would do that for his Christmas present. Today we dropped the truck off around eleven then drove to Pat's of Henderson for a throw down lunch. We just beat the main lunch crowd so we got a good table and a good waitress that we told not to rush us we were here to eat for a while. She brought us some complimentary fried catfish bites that were good and we started off with appetizers of a dozen raw oysters each and a cold Corona beer, right behind the oysters came 8 golfball size deep fried crab balls that were to die for. We ordered another beer and the menu again. I asked to order family style and got 2 blackened redfish topped with crab etouffee, a half shrimp half oyster dinner with fries, two fried soft shell crabs and four fried frog legs with more fries completed the meal with little cups of tarter sauce drawn butter and cocktail sauce, We ordered another beer.

I ate a dozen raw oysters
2 crab balls with tarter sauce
1 blackened redfish fillet topped with crab etouffee
1 fried softshell crab
6 fried shrimp
6 fried oysters
2 fried frog legs
2 hush puppies
a bunch of french fries
a little bit of jambalaya
drank 5 beers son drank 6, I had to drive.

We got a go box with a big container of seafood gumbo and rice that came with the dinners we didn't eat, 4 crab balls, some catfish bites, alligator bites and some fried crawfish they brought with a few more hushpuppies. We passed on desert but reclined with a brandy snifter with Grand Marnier. Our waitress asked how the meal was, we said fantastic and it was, and she laid the check between us. My son looked at the $212.25 and nudged it in my direction. We burned over two hours at lunch so we car shoppe for another hour and a half before picking his truck up. They did a nice job on his bed.

I cook good seafood but sometimes going to a good seafood restaurant and letting someone else do all the work is therapeutic. Tomorrow we all go out for steak at a new Japanese steak house I want to try.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Did you take a nap? :) You should have submitted for a contest for Man vs Food.
Last night on TV I watched some girl destroy a 7 lb burrito that 4 or 5 large men couldn't finish and she did it in 18 minutes then ordered desert LOL.

Yes to the nap. :)

Now see bayou, you and I need to go to lunch. This is how I love to go eat somewhere. Especially at a restaurant with great food and cold beer. Order a sampling of a lot of things and everybody just dig in. What were the fried crab balls? I had deviled crabs in Ybor City back in April, and I still talk about them to this day. They looked like huge crab balls. Although I'm not sure how big...eh..I wont finish that statement :)

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Now see bayou, you and I need to go to lunch. This is how I love to go eat somewhere. Especially at a restaurant with great food and cold beer. Order a sampling of a lot of things and everybody just dig in. What were the fried crab balls? I had deviled crabs in Ybor City back in April, and I still talk about them to this day. They looked like huge crab balls. Although I'm not sure how big...eh..I wont finish that statement :)
The crab balls were like deviled crab rolled about the size of a golf ball then probably rolled in flour, dipped in egg wash then corn meal and deep fried. The outside is crunchy and the inside nice and yummy like a deviled crab. They come 8 to an order for $15.95, I get them every time I go there and always bring about 4 home. You can also order them with 1 crab cake and 4 balls for $16.95 and one comes with the Crab Dinner which is $24.95. I bet you could make them and put them on your menu. Pat's of Henderson Menu

They used to have a broiled stuffed lobster that was to die for cost was somewhere around $40. The lobster was split down the middle and the body cavity was filled with seafood dressing but I saw it was not on the menu now. I didn't ask why. The only complaint I have made to this establishment and I have eaten there probably 50 times and it is no dive we had my son's graduation dinner there, is their baked potato. Seriously they send out half a baked potato with a half slice of american cheese melted on top and dat's it. No klidding this is one of the best restaurants in town but has one of the worst baked potatoes in town. I'm going to miss that lobster if it doesn't make a return to the menu. We don't pig out that often, I don't get my money's worth at buffets but every once in a while I get a craving and that is when I go all in. I told my son today we would go after Christmas to Chastain's and see if we can consume 100 raw oysters each in one sitting. My old record is 82 (6.5 doz)

The crab balls were like deviled crab rolled about the size of a golf ball then probably rolled in flour, dipped in egg wash then corn meal and deep fried. The outside is crunchy and the inside nice and yummy like a deviled crab. They come 8 to an order for $15.95, I get them every time I go there and always bring about 4 home. You can also order them with 1 crab cake and 4 balls for $16.95 and one comes with the Crab Dinner which is $24.95. I bet you could make them and put them on your menu. Pat's of Henderson Menu

They used to have a broiled stuffed lobster that was to die for cost was somewhere around $40. The lobster was split down the middle and the body cavity was filled with seafood dressing but I saw it was not on the menu now. I didn't ask why. The only complaint I have made to this establishment and I have eaten there probably 50 times and it is no dive we had my son's graduation dinner there, is their baked potato. Seriously they send out half a baked potato with a half slice of american cheese melted on top and dat's it. No klidding this is one of the best restaurants in town but has one of the worst baked potatoes in town. I'm going to miss that lobster if it doesn't make a return to the menu. We don't pig out that often, I don't get my money's worth at buffets but every once in a while I get a craving and that is when I go all in. I told my son today we would go after Christmas to Chastain's and see if we can consume 100 raw oysters each in one sitting. My old record is 82 (6.5 doz)
Come on down and try to set our record...we had a guy break it back in September....you may not wanna watch the video, its kinda disgusting.

Alabama oyster eater sets record; you just won't believe how (with video, photos, advisory) | al.com

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Come on down and try to set our record...we had a guy break it back in September....you may not wanna watch the video, its kinda disgusting.

Alabama oyster eater sets record; you just won't believe how (with video, photos, advisory) | al.com
I could not do that. I watched a guy on TV one night eat about 200 in a minute or two and he was scooping them up by the dozen with a fork. I was amazed. I got up to 6 dozen back in 1970 when we used to go to a bar in Virginia Beach where you could eat all the raw oysters and clams for something like $12. They made up on beer sales apparently since every night they had some food special like chicken, spaghetti, boiled shrimp, fried catfish and we hit them pretty hard. I used to wimp out at around 3 dozen but kept inching up. After I left that area the price of raw oysters went up so eating 6 dozen put a big dent in my budget. It wasn't till the early 80s I got to a place where I decided to beat my record. We were going to the Captain's Table about once a month after work to drink beer, eat oysters and play backgammon. I got to 6 dozen then asked for another dozen. It took me about 2 hours and I eat crackers with my oysters and I like lemon juice and cocktail sauce or tabasco, I eat them one at a time and chew them up. I love the taste but maybe I could have gone 7 dozen that day I think I left a couple of the big ones. I don't know if I can hold down 100 and don't think my son can even though he can out eat me at just about anything but it will make for an interesting day.

You know at about $10 a dozen that is some serious money LOL add beer and tip it comes to over $200. That's a lot of oysters to throw up in the parking lot.

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
A fantastic lunch is great -- but a fantastic day with your son is priceless!! Glad you two made it home safe & sound!!

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
We went again today this time to Steamboat Bills. We both ordered the shrimp and oyster platter with fries and my son added a catfish fillet to his, his turn to buy. They give you a huge portion, more than a dozen each of the shrimp and oysters and enough fries to feed a small orphanage. After we ate we hit Sam's club for a meat run. Bought boneless spiral cut ham for new years day, nice looking Choice Prime Rib tied no bone for Christmas dinner, a brisket, Richard's link sausage, whole beef tenderloin we cut filet mignon (got 12 plus some trimmings for kabobs), whole Rib Eye (cut 10 one inch and six inch and a half), six frenched racks of lamb and my wife is going to kill me for that extravagance I may go ahead and commit suicide, 2 boxes of Maryland crab cakes another stupid buy, a 3 pack of baby back ribs, 2 pints of raw oysters and a big tin of giant cashews. Just finished dividing up the meat and putting in vac bags for the freezer. I'm still so full I think supper will be a glass of water and a toothpick.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.