Tools and Gadgets

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was thinking the other day about whether a handle was made for sawzall blades. In case someone wanted to do some sawing by hand with one of those blades.

I was at Lowes anyway picking up another bucket of roof coating so wandered through their tool section and couldn't find one. I was looking at their saws and decided if I was going to make one, I'd buy a saw with a handle that looked acceptable to put a sawzall blade in it.

This is what I came up with. I haven't put it to the test yet but it feels very secure so fingers crossed.
View attachment 8615View attachment 8616View attachment 8617
So, basically, you've made a pruning saw... :)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Was looking on CL to see if anyone was selling a low rise scissor lift. Thinking about getting one for working on my cars and truck.

Saw an ad for one of these for $75 brand new still in wrapper.

Amazon is selling for $112.98.

Pretty cool concept for helping with changing a flat tire while away from home.

ROGTZ Electric Car Floor Jack Set 3 Ton All-in-one Automatic 12v Scissor Lift Jack with Impact Wrench for Tire Change & Replacement

I would carry a small piece of plywood and 2x4's to help stabilize the jack when using it off hard pavement.

• Wow
Reactions: seebell

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
So, basically, you've made a pruning saw... :)
With that particular blade in the photo - yes.

But I wanted something to use with all my different blades - wood, metal, pruning, etc.

To be honest, I really don't know how much it would be used, but the goal was to be able to use any of my sawzall blades in situations where the vibration of a power tool might be an issue.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I was thinking the other day about whether a handle was made for sawzall blades. In case someone wanted to do some sawing by hand with one of those blades.

I was at Lowes anyway picking up another bucket of roof coating so wandered through their tool section and couldn't find one. I was looking at their saws and decided if I was going to make one, I'd buy a saw with a handle that looked acceptable to put a sawzall blade in it.

This is what I came up with. I haven't put it to the test yet but it feels very secure so fingers crossed.
View attachment 8615View attachment 8616View attachment 8617
More thoughts on my experiment......

I tried it out and so far it works great for pruning palm fronds, which are my main focus. There are some other plants I use a saw on like Crinum Lilies and White Bird of Paradise and some others.

I usually use a sawzall but there are times when a hand saw also comes in handy.

So here's my thought. For a hand saw the replacement blade usually runs somewhere between $12-$20, depending on brand and model of saw.

These sawzall blades - the 12" pruning ones, run around $6.

So all things else being equal, I've found a less expensive replacement blade.

The saw itself is much lighter too so if I'm up in a ladder, that's a plus.

Traditional examples:

IMG_8637.JPG

Latest threads

TideFansStore.com - Get your gear!

Purchases made through our TideFansStore.com link may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.