Transfer Portal 2023-24, v2

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
It's popping up here and there throughout threads, but alot of new posters are chicken littles it seems to me.

The kind of things that make you go, "Hmmm."
All they are going to do is generate more LANK merchandise.

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
I can tell you one thing is Latham will have a heck of a line coach in Callahan! I'd take him today at Bama if he'd coach college, the man is a heck of a oline coach

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Coach Karen keeps running his mouth about the portal.

Although he's technically probably correct that most of the players in the portal aren't good enough to play at a school like Clemson, or Alabama, or Ohio State because there are so many of them it's basically like saying that most of the kids coming out of high school aren't good enough to play at Clemson...but he's still a sleazeball and a doofus...and that's what matters most about him.

Reactions: B1GTide

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I assume he must be talking about the current players in the portal, otherwise it's a foolish statement. Certainly the guys we lost after Saban's retirement could have played there. Downs for sure.
I took it for what you assumed. The players that ARE good enough to play for clemson that enter the portal are 9 times out of 10 already decided on where they are going anyways.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
I'm rather interested in seeing how Dabo's approach fares for a couple more years. What will Dabo's approach look like when he has kids that he's developed for 3-4 years playing teams that are loaded with transfers? Sample size is pretty small right now but he obviously believes his approach will work.

Noticed the young DL (Woods) he recruited from Alabama was rated higher than any of our players. BTW, I thought the rankings were very, very questionable but that's the way someone had them ranked.

Really, the only reason the portal's a problem is that schools keep taking kids from the portal. I'd absolutely love for Dabo's approach to be very successful and all the top teams return to recruiting and developing. Probably just wishful thinking but I can hope.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
I'm rather interested in seeing how Dabo's approach fares for a couple more years. What will Dabo's approach look like when he has kids that he's developed for 3-4 years playing teams that are loaded with transfers? Sample size is pretty small right now but he obviously believes his approach will work.

Noticed the young DL (Woods) he recruited from Alabama was rated higher than any of our players. BTW, I thought the rankings were very, very questionable but that's the way someone had them ranked.

Really, the only reason the portal's a problem is that schools keep taking kids from the portal. I'd absolutely love for Dabo's approach to be very successful and all the top teams return to recruiting and developing. Probably just wishful thinking but I can hope.
Definitely just a pipe dream at this point unfortunately. I imagine the number of kids unwilling to stick around and "develop" will continue rising. If they're not starting, they're in the portal...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I watched a coupe of Clemson games and he was not a world beater in them...he is young, but he was getting pushed around at the point of attack time and again. He has some quicks, but not outstanding at this point.

Reactions: dathbama

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

It`ll be interesting to see in a couple of years, particularly if there are no substantive changes, what % of rosters are hired guns through the portal. Then again, " hired gun " may well apply to ALL players in a couple of years, regardless of source.

Reactions: dathbama

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Although he's technically probably correct that most of the players in the portal aren't good enough to play at a school like Clemson, or Alabama, or Ohio State because there are so many of them it's basically like saying that most of the kids coming out of high school aren't good enough to play at Clemson...but he's still a sleazeball and a doofus...and that's what matters most about him.
Not sure Dabo evaluates things correctly and then just sticks to his guns instead of changing. I have a feeling that he will not be working at Clemson for the long haul. His lack of adapting to the new world will be his downfall

Reactions: dathbama and Con

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Not sure Dabo evaluates things correctly and then just sticks to his guns instead of changing. I have a feeling that he will not be working at Clemson for the long haul. His lack of adapting to the new world will be his downfall
A few year ago some people though Dabo would be Bama's coach when Saban retired. Whew! Thank God we got a DeBo and not a Dabo!

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Coach Karen keeps running his mouth about the portal.

I'm impartial when it comes to Dabo Swinney. I think it's foolish of him to refuse to utilize the portal given that all other schools are doing it, but I also respect him for standing firm on it. I hate the portal, and it is a big part of what is making college football less appealing to me. Therefore, I appreciate the principle he has in place of recruiting HS players and sticking with them. That's what made the sport great and I'm not going to put down anyone who tries to maintain that. I wish it was the rule and not the exception.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Dabo still has to utilize NIL money to keep his own players. What's the difference? They're paying to retain without reaping the portal. It's a losing , hard-headed battle. Tbh, sometimes I wish the whole system would crash just so some rationality might sit in.

BamaFanatJSU

1st Team
Apr 24, 2008
Rainbow City, AL
Tbh, sometimes I wish the whole system would crash just so some rationality might sit in.
What I would love to see is some kid who jumps in the portal after the season ends (possibly due to a coaching change), signs with a school that offers him stupid money, gets paid big up front by some naive booster collective, then bolts back to his original program - cash in hand - when the post-spring window opens.

I'm not saying it will happen or even could happen, but that would absolutely cause the system to melt down.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
What I would love to see is some kid who jumps in the portal after the season ends (possibly due to a coaching change), signs with a school that offers him stupid money, gets paid big up front by some naive booster collective, then bolts back to his original program - cash in hand - when the post-spring window opens.

I'm not saying it will happen or even could happen, but that would absolutely cause the system to melt down.
Seems to me the Proctor situation isn't that different from your scenario. I have no idea what he made from Iowa NIL but I'm sure it was significant...

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I'm not so sure he wants to be in it for the long haul these days. I'm guessing many coaches who have already had their big pay days will decide to hang it up. I would. Why put up with the crap going on now when they have 50-100 million bucks sitting around? Go enjoy life while you can and leave the headaches for others.

Latest threads