Trey Sanders - Long road to recovery

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
I never knew how badly he was injured in that accident. All I knew was that the kid had missed two seasons and that I felt really bad for him. I would imagine I was not the only Bama fan smiling when he scored his touchdown.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Wow I had no idea it was that bad.

I said in the RB thread that I thought he looked slow, and I just figured it was he was still coming around from the injuries. But no, I was wrong. I re-watched his highlights, and he did not get run down. He ran away from defenders, and on his TD play he made some nifty little cuts that frankly I don't recall seeing from the other RBs.

I'm excited for him.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek

I said in the RB thread that I thought he looked slow, and I just figured it was he was still coming around from the injuries. But no, I was wrong. I re-watched his highlights, and he did not get run down. He ran away from defenders, and on his TD play he made some nifty little cuts that frankly I don't recall seeing from the other RBs.

I'm excited for him.
Smooth is fast...fast is smooth. Yes, Trey Sanders is.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
My Dad had a similar wreck when I was in high school. A guy ran red light going over 60mph...it knocked my Dad feet first out of his passenger side window. It even knocked him out of his shoes. In addition to a multitude of other injuries, he also had a broken pelvis. I've never seen a person in so much pain recovering from an injury. He still has some discomfort sitting in certain types of chairs and the wreck happened 25 years ago. For Trey to come back from that injury to the point of playing at the highest level of football is pretty amazing. Bless that guy...

Last edited:

Krymsonman

All-American
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA

I'm excited for him.
On his first carry, I thought he looked a little slow too, and like you, figured he was working his way back. A couple of carries later and I was saying this guy is like Shaun Alexander - just smooth and gliding along. That cut on the touchdown run was beautiful.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
On his first carry, I thought he looked a little slow too, and like you, figured he was working his way back. A couple of carries later and I was saying this guy is like Shaun Alexander - just smooth and gliding along. That cut on the touchdown run was beautiful.
A coach at UA during Shaun's days said he was not the fastest, but he had the best lateral vision of any running back he had ever seen. He also was fast enough to out run just about every one who had a line on him. I hope this is the way Trey turns out...he obviously has some incredible tenacity and character to keep working this hard.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

I'm excited for him.
IMO, he is the most talented of Bama's RBs and some of his "gifts" are subtle. IMO, it's because he's a natural.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I heard whispers that his injuries were severe but this is the first confirmation of the extent. I'm glad he stayed with the Tide program this year because we have the best medical people available and he's not in a situation where he HAS to play, where the team relies upon him for wins. His numbers say he is back but for stuff like this I believe you need at least another year for the body to truly heal. He might transfer out at some point but I still think he's be better off staying. When it comes to the NFL guys they could care less how many carries you get in college, they just care what you did with them and with his injuries it seems fewer carries would be more advisable then him going somewhere where he's not only the top dawg, but the only dawg.

Latest threads