Tried to buy any canned corned beef lately? I got a hankering for some corned

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
beef and cabbage about three weeks ago, but couldn't find any canned corned beef. Went to Walmart, Food World and Food for Less, none to be found and no one could tell me why.

Seems the problem was that traces of some anti-parasitic serum was turning up in the product. The way I understand it, it was mainly from one company in Brazil, evidently they are really big because it sure effected the market in a big way.

Finally found some yesterday at a Greer's. It came from Argentina. so I don't know if the Brazilian company's product is still banned in th US.

BTW, I actually prefer the canned CB over that in the meat market.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I like that canned corned beef mixed with potatoes into a hash but with cabbage I like the real deal made from scratch all cooked in one pot the meat, potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage called a New England Dinner.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
The canned makes a pretty good Rueben sandwich.
Really? I have always used thin sliced deli corned beef to make my Rubens but years ago I used to be guilty of using that canned corned beef to make a sandwich on white bread with mayo that I thought tasted good.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
It is not as good as really good sliced deli corned beef, but that is hard to find. The taste is a little different, but has a character all it's own.
I have always been most critical of how thin the deli corned beef is sliced or should I say has been shaved. The thinner the better is how I like it and pile the meat on the rye bread. I also like the good saurkraut that comes in a jar over anything canned, have no preference over big eye or baby swiss and I like thousand island dressing as my spread. I butter the rye and grill it like a grilled cheese sandwich, cut in half and serve with Polish or Kosher dill spear with some chips and I'm close to heaven. :)
I might have to try it with the canned corned beef just to see if it's something I have been missing but I really do like it in a hash with potatoes.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
It won't replace your regular reuben, but is pretty good for a change and I have also found that all shaved corned beef is not equal. I also make mine the same way that you do.
That's true but most delis don't mind giving you a sample slice to taste and see if you like the cut. When I'm at a meat counter chances are 99.99% I will buy some meat. It may not be what I came for but I don't make many trips and come back empty handed. I have my own electric slicing machine but it doesn't really get down to that shaved setting I like but it is great for slicing salami, cheese, chicken breast, roast beef or pork.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I like that canned corned beef mixed with potatoes into a hash but with cabbage I like the real deal made from scratch all cooked in one pot the meat, potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage called a New England Dinner.[/QUOTE]

That was a big favorite at the fire house, but we usually did it with ham. With corn bread of course. :tongue:

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
I like that canned corned beef mixed with potatoes into a hash but with cabbage I like the real deal made from scratch all cooked in one pot the meat, potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage called a New England Dinner.[/QUOTE]

That was a big favorite at the fire house, but we usually did it with ham. With corn bread of course. :tongue:
With ham its just called a "boiled dinner"

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.