Tropical Storm Ian headed this way.....

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Yeah, thankfully, while STP is pretty flat, there is some slight elevation overall. My friend has a shop directly downtown and he's 51' above sea level.

Like most long-time Floridians, he's gonna hunker down and wait this out.
Storm surge is usually what kills people. When Ike hit here in 2008, the storm made landfall basically at the mouth of Galveston Bay, so the worst of the surge was 15-20 miles east up the coast. The best case for Tampa is a landfall to the south, second best a direct hit.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Storm surge is usually what kills people. When Ike hit here in 2008, the storm made landfall basically at the mouth of Galveston Bay, so the worst of the surge was 15-20 miles east up the coast. The best case for Tampa is a landfall to the south, second best a direct hit.
Yeah, which is why most long-time Floridians don't evacuate unless they're coastal and it's a really powerful storm. There will be some folks who leave the TSP area, but most will just hunker down as it's not a low-lying area for the most part. Most people don't realize that much of central FL is actually a good bit above sea-level (relative to storm surge).

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 9.55.50 AM.png

Reactions: TexasBama

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Yeah, which is why most long-time Floridians don't evacuate unless they're coastal and it's a really powerful storm. There will be some folks who leave the TSP area, but most will just hunker down as it's not a low-lying area for the most part. Most people don't realize that much of central FL is actually a good bit above sea-level (relative to storm surge).

View attachment 28852
I was surprised at how high Cedar Key is. The town itself is built up 20+ feet; everything around is marsh.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I've always said the biggest challenge during these kinds of events is to set aside most of the hype and extract only the information needed. We get bombarded with all kinds of fancy graphics....shock and awe in effect!

Last night....even I was amazed at 'them' putting graphics on all 4 sides of the picture..... :rolleyes:

IMG_7025.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: crimsonaudio

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Your sister is in for some rough weather, @Padreruf ! I hope she has a support system in place to assist.

I doubt you will experience much havoc where you are, though.

BTW, all the surf trips up the coast - we always made it a point to stop at Folly Beach! Loved that place!

This is a pretty good site to monitor things:

Next time you come go to Kiawah Beach Walker Park...good beach and a lot less people!

Reactions: Bazza

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
We left Orlando this AM for Lake City, FL. We have some family up here with a basement, and a generator so if there are tornadoes and/or widespread power outages, we’re covered. If it was just me and my wife, we’d probably have just hunkered down for the storm, but two young kids would be MISERABLE without A/C. Thankfully traffic wasn’t too bad. Normal slow spots on 75 North between the Turnpike and Ocala/Gainesville, but the Turnpike itself and all Orlando roads were pretty average for a Tuesday morning. Later today and into tomorrow would have likely been much worse.

A boat load of out of state line workers, tree services, and ambulances headed southbound on 75, and staging all up and down the peninsula. It was kind of surreal.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
Local TV news said that the hotels in Macon, Warner Robins, Perry here in central Georgia were quickly filling up as we're on I-75. I suspect that going to the local stores will make me feel like I'm back in Florida from the cars in the parking lot.

Reactions: Bazza

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Looks like landfall will be in the Fort Myers area and it will travel NE through the Orlando area and exit near Daytona Beach, which is just north of me.

Remains to be seen how much weaker it is by the time it gets here.

Weather folks are predicting Cat 1 strength.

I've never evacuated in the 25 years in this home. Have always felt it safer to just stay put. Also makes it easier to keep an eye on everything.

Headed out to visit Mom shortly and then back home for the duration.

Best wishes to all in Ian's path!

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
Looks like landfall will be in the Fort Myers area and it will travel NE through the Orlando area and exit near Daytona Beach, which is just north of me.

Remains to be seen how much weaker it is by the time it gets here.

Weather folks are predicting Cat 1 strength.

I've never evacuated in the 25 years in this home. Have always felt it safer to just stay put. Also makes it easier to keep an eye on everything.

Headed out to visit Mom shortly and then back home for the duration.

Best wishes to all in Ian's path!
Got family in the Ft. Myers area (and up in Bradenton), they’re comparing this so far to Irma. Haven’t heard from them yet today, but expecting they’re probably incommunicado for a bit. They’ve lived down there for quite a while now (since the 80s), so this ain’t their first rodeo.

Looks to be a Cat-1 by the time it hits Orlando. Remaining hopeful that the worst we get is some wind and rain. Thankful to have a brand new roof, and new-ish windows.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Sitting here in the southwestern part of Charleston County...lots of rain and a little wind coming through now. Nothing like what we saw in Florida...power flickered off for a second but stayed on. My son Jack and his family -- spouse and 2 children -- are with us this week as they sold their home and cannot close on the next one until Monday -- due to the storm. I'm working with the 9 year old on math...LOL. Prayers for all those in harm's way...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.