Trump bans TikTok - social media policy

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
Yes, there are security concerns. And government and private business can tell employees what isn't allowed on work issued phones.
Security- but we're not worried about Facebook, Apple, Google?

The EU seems to prioritize privacy. China prioritizes control. The US has always prioritized money, and work out the security bugs later.

• Facepalm
Reactions: Jon and B1GTide

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
And a bunch of kids on tik tok and wechat embarrassed him.
Which leads back to the May Twitter EO.... lists of users Sec 5. (b)(i)
"increased scrutiny of users based on the other users they choose to follow, or their interactions with other users;"

China watches my tik toc (pretty boring, no videos) Microsoft, Facebook, Google watch everything else. But the government watches my tweets?
Truth be told, I'm more concerned about the US government than anything else.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I am not as tech savvy as I should be. But honestly what difference is it if China vs Microsoft knows my ad preferences? Unless there's keystroke loggers or location enabled in the app.
There's a lot more to this than ad preferences, and giving the CCP unfettered access, the ability to collect to the data they were collecting (and Tik Tok collects a lot), is a bad thing.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
There's a lot more to this than ad preferences, and giving the CCP unfettered access, the ability to collect to the data they were collecting (and Tik Tok collects a lot), is a bad thing.
absolutely the case, TikTok not only captures a ton it actively obscures what it is taking, encrypts it and changes the encryption keys every update.

Personally I am convinced that TikTok is also using their app to train AI on western behavior at the behest of the Chinese government. Much like Siri, OK Google and Alexa are training AI/ML systems on understanding voice (and potentially capturing unique user voice prints/patterns)

• Thank You
Reactions: MobtownK

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
I just found their privacy disclosure- they collect app and file names on your device.. thats not good at all. Especially for someone dealing with sensitive files.
Search history as well - although that's become the norm, every time I open Facebook I see paint ads.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.