Trump Capitol Insurrection Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Fort Payne was the Sock Capital of the World. Demopolis was the Hat Capital of the World.
It took 30 years for my hometown to rebuild its economy and employment to what it was in the early 90s. And they only did this with dedicated local government not giving up.

Whether we want to admit it or not, we have a significant population that is on par with any you would find in any other third world countries. Poor, undereducated, under motivated. We will always have this segment of society. By passing NAFTA we allowed this demographic to increase considerably and severely hampered the viability of the 10,000 and under small town. Had Alabama not fought so aggressively in the mid 90s for Mercedes I wonder what exactly would have happened in the South. But Alabama did so because they were desperate to replace the lost industry and employment.
I'm well familiar with the Ft. Payne situation. However, the real calamity was when the Canadian company bought Prewett...

Reactions: jasongilbert69

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Yes, and Rep. Aderholt was the deciding vote on legislation that allowed the collapse of the sock industry in NE Alabama. His voted against the constituency he represented and still represents today...

I'm well familiar with the Ft. Payne situation. However, the real calamity was when the Canadian company bought Prewett...

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Wasn't Sequoyah TVA's last? I was in a meeting a Freeman's (TVA president) condo in Chattanooga when it went online. I was there with a group of whitewater paddlers to appeal to him not to replace the flume on the Ocoee. The meeting was punctuated by congratulatory calls which he felt he had to take and we were ultimately unsuccessful anyway...
The previous TVA chair that trump hired and fired was at Decatur HS when I was there.

Reactions: UAH and TIDE-HSV

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
when i was in my previous job, we did a year+ long project working with troup county and their cities to plan for the changes that were coming as they were opening that plant. lagrange is a nice place, we were down there working once every month or two for a while.
I lived in LaGrange for about a year after I graduated. It was a nice little town, and with quite a lot of industry they had/have a good tax base. Not much to do for a 22 year old though, except drive to Atlanta

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I lived in LaGrange for about a year after I graduated. It was a nice little town, and with quite a lot of industry they had/have a good tax base. Not much to do for a 22 year old though, except drive to Atlanta
My grandfather was born there in 1909.
Or more precisely, he LIVED there. I guess he was probably born at home, too, but I don't know.

As I said my cousin lives there now. She's an UGA Bulldog married to an Alabama fan, so I'll bet this has been a fun week at their house.

Reactions: TexasBama

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Wasn't Sequoyah TVA's last? I was in a meeting a Freeman's (TVA president) condo in Chattanooga when it went online. I was there with a group of whitewater paddlers to appeal to him not to replace the flume on the Ocoee. The meeting was punctuated by congratulatory calls which he felt he had to take and we were ultimately unsuccessful anyway...
I was in Sequoyah when it was in the last stages of construction before going online in 1980. The sister plan at Watts Bar apparently was moth balled and didn't come online until 1996 and 2015. I was checking back on Bellefonte in Scottsboro and saw that it was finally sold to a Chattanooga real estate developer for $140 Mil. It would be difficult to imagine a more disastrous project outcome than with TVA's nuclear program.

Reactions: seebell

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was in Sequoyah when it was in the last stages of construction before going online in 1980. The sister plan at Watts Bar apparently was moth balled and didn't come online until 1996 and 2015. I was checking back on Bellefonte in Scottsboro and saw that it was finally sold to a Chattanooga real estate developer for $140 Mil. It would be difficult to imagine a more disastrous project outcome than with TVA's nuclear program.
Well, as I've posted, I was in the nuclear engineering business. We did some work on all of them. Their biggest problem was record-keeping. Too many fingers in the pie. The longer a plant stays mothballed, like Bellefonte, the harder it is to bring it on line. After a while, it's impossible. I thought the deal with the buyer fell through and he ended up suing TVA...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
  • Thank You
Reactions: Jon

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One thing has persistently puzzled me and that's why so few were armed. These were people who probably don't go to their mailboxes without their ARs. Then why such a scattering? It had to be intentional. I know Rhodes said they were holding arms across the Potomac, but I doubt that it was sufficient to arm the entire cohort. One reason could be that they were trying to hold down potential charges, if they expected any. They may not have wanted it to be characterized as an armed rebellion. One thing among many strange features...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
One thing has persistently puzzled me and that's why so few were armed. These were people who probably don't go to their mailboxes without their ARs. Then why such a scattering? It had to be intentional. I know Rhodes said they were holding arms across the Potomac, but I doubt that it was sufficient to arm the entire cohort. One reason could be that they were trying to hold down potential charges, if they expected any. They may not have wanted it to be characterized as an armed rebellion. One thing among many strange features...
I don't believe we'll be so fortunate next time, if we allow a next time.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'll also add that they were way into the 'cosplay' of revolution, but weren't serious about it.

NOT saying they didn't believe the 'election was stolen' or that they should be charged less - just saying if they really believed they were there for revolution, they would have been armed.

IOW, just a bunch of low-IQ idiots who thought they were doing something.

Reactions: B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I guess that they could have concealed the guns somehow until they put their plan into action. Pretty hard to do with a rifle. But without a willingness to kill police officers in the streets, this would not have been possible. And we have since learned that these people are cowards. They were never going to draw down on a police officer unless part of a mob.

IMO, America might have been better off if a few had done this. It would have led to more immediate tragedy, but the whole country would have come down against it. Instead the right is able to twist the story to fit their narrative, and their followers are able to suspend their disbelief enough to buy in.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Fort Payne was the Sock Capital of the World. Demopolis was the Hat Capital of the World.
It took 30 years for my hometown to rebuild its economy and employment to what it was in the early 90s. And they only did this with dedicated local government not giving up.

Whether we want to admit it or not, we have a significant population that is on par with any you would find in any other third world countries. Poor, undereducated, under motivated. We will always have this segment of society. By passing NAFTA we allowed this demographic to increase considerably and severely hampered the viability of the 10,000 and under small town. Had Alabama not fought so aggressively in the mid 90s for Mercedes I wonder what exactly would have happened in the South. But Alabama did so because they were desperate to replace the lost industry and employment.

What I am getting at is NAFTA was a label affixed to shift which resulted in the utter disdain and lack of trust that small town folk have for Democrats. It's deep seeded too. Most of these folks know better than to support leadership like Trump and the utterly corrupt Republican congressional leadership. But they felt abandoned, left behind, and they have not gotten over it.

My personal belief is until the Democrats come to grips with this and understand that rural America is the heart and soul of our nation we will not fully heal from the divide we find ourselves in now. And we will likely lose democracy in the process.
we as a country should do much better with respect to rural economic development/growth.

but i don't agree that rural america is the heart and soul of america. folks that live in/around cities have just as much heart and soul and are just as american as anyone else is. urban population in the us is around 80 % or so, rural is 20% or so.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
we as a country should do much better with respect to rural economic development/growth.

but i don't agree that rural america is the heart and soul of america. folks that live in/around cities have just as much heart and soul and are just as american as anyone else is. urban population in the us is around 80 % or so, rural is 20% or so.
I'm telling ya, you and I are ageeing WAY TOO MUCH lately.......

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Raskin told Business Insider that people were “asking whether there was a lost and found because they forgot their phone there, or they left their purse or what have you.”
I thought this was ludicrous and truly dumb - and then someone on Twitter pointed out that the way they caught the 1993 bombers of the WTC was that one of those yutzes called up Ryder to get the deposit back, which triggered the same laughter it did the first time I heard it back then.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Curious question: could it be that a lot of them didn't actually go there in the first place to do anything other than perhaps protest and then got provoked and incited to do more than was the original intent - and then the adrenaline rush of going into the Capitol pushed them further?

IN NO WAY am I absolving anyone of blame here, but it seems to me this might actually point more directly to Trump inciting it.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Curious question: could it be that a lot of them didn't actually go there in the first place to do anything other than perhaps protest and then got provoked and incited to do more than was the original intent - and then the adrenaline rush of going into the Capitol pushed them further?

IN NO WAY am I absolving anyone of blame here, but it seems to me this might actually point more directly to Trump inciting it.
There were at least two types of people there:

1. Those who truly intended to be peaceful protesters and got caught up with the second group and

2. Those who went to start trouble and knew the first group was comprised of gullible idiots.

So why did the second group not arm themselves, despite stashing weapons nearby? Were they waiting for something to trigger (no pun intended) that response? If so, what would have been the trigger to gather those weapons? This was mainly the oath breakers and perhaps some others.

I'm very curious about just what it was that constrained them.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
There were at least two types of people there:

1. Those who truly intended to be peaceful protesters and got caught up with the second group and

2. Those who went to start trouble and knew the first group was comprised of gullible idiots.

So why did the second group not arm themselves, despite stashing weapons nearby? Were they waiting for something to trigger (no pun intended) that response? If so, what would have been the trigger to gather those weapons? This was mainly the oath breakers and perhaps some others.

I'm very curious about just what it was that constrained them.
For better or worse - the reason I don't go to things like that is the escalation and adrenaline factor. It's why I've never attended a protest and (probably) never will. (The Civil Rights protests of the 1960s were a completely different scenario and character of at least 95% of modern protests regardless. I would have marched on Selma if it was on Long Island).

That's why even though I got the legal argument in the Rittenhouse case, I'm from the old school of "stay the hell away from it" simply because of what CAN happen.

I think the reality is that a number were constrained because they had enough sense to realize that it would have been justifiable on the part of guards at the Capitol if they'd simply laid down several volleys of gunfire - and Trump can't pardon you if you're dead.

What I fear is that the next time this happens, we actually will have a "both sides" type of standoff precisely because of what occurred. That might possibly be for the better and keep it outside, but it's not a good route to go, either. (I think it's perfectly reasonable for a liberal/Democrat or even a centrist voter of either side to think to themselves, "Look what happened last time, there was no opposition, so I'm going to go stand up for my position and maybe help prevent them from entering the Capitol"). I'd never do that, but it's certainly a reasonable thought after 1/6/21.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.