Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Reactions: CrimsonJazz

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
So it is liberal because it has "Democrat" in the name?
The TD is a great newspaper. If anything it's a bit right-leaning - definitely NOT a 'liberal paper', unless things have changed drastically very recently. Spent much of my life reading it and the Orlando Sentinel (which leans slightly left) - both are well-written, highly factual news outlets, IME.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
The TD is a great newspaper. If anything it's a bit right-leaning - definitely NOT a 'liberal paper', unless things have changed drastically very recently. Spent much of my life reading it and the Orlando Sentinel (which leans slightly left) - both are well-written, highly factual news outlets, IME.
Thanks for the insight. Still waiting for OP to answer :cool:

It is over 120 years old and has had Democrat in its name most of that time. "Democrat" 100 years ago obviously was a little different that "Democrat" today.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Give me a break. It's a liberal leaning paper. The name Democrat doesn't have anything to do with it. Don't be insulting.
I hope you're not insulted.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
i would have to check with selma, but i think it is pretty rare that the (non-incumbent) flavor of the day presidential nominee at the mid terms is still kicking around come election time
I just saw this and you're basically correct.

It has changed a tad in recent years, maybe due to the "we never get a break from it" but a refresher:

1968 - Nixon vs LBJ (we now know that was never going to happen - but Humphrey came up through McCarthy and RFK. And btw - in 1967, it was George Romney until his brainwashing remark)

1972 - Nixon vs Muskie (he won the NH primary but by "only" 9 points and that was all she wrote

1976 - Jimmy Carter didn't even register in the 1974 straw polls, starting his move in February 1975

1980 - Carter vs Reagan (YES, it happened this time)

1984 - Reagan vs Ted Kennedy or Walter Mondale (1/2 credit)

1988 - Probably But Not Sure Bush vs Gary Hart

1992 - Bush vs Cuomo/Bradley/Gore/Gephardt/Rockefeller

1996 - Clinton vs Dole

2000 - Gore vs Bush (caveat: the GOP in 1998 decided the poll numbers were enough for W)

2004 - Bush vs Mr SCREAM (Dean)

2008 - Hillary vs Rudi

2012 - Obama vs Romney/Huckabee (I'll grant this one since Romney was the more serious candidate)

2016 - Hillary vs Paul Ryan/Marco Rubio/Ted Cruz

2020 - Trump vs Bernie or Warren

• Thank You
Reactions: Go Bama and 92tide

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Paul Krugman from the New York Times

Will Republicans once again nominate Donald Trump for president? Or will they turn to Ron DeSantis instead? I have no idea.

What I do know is that anyone imagining DeSantis as a more sensible, saner figure than Trump — a right-wing populist without the reality-denying paranoia — is delusional. DeSantis hasn’t gone down all the same rabbit holes as Trump, but he has gone down some of his own, and his descent has been just as deep.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Lol at the astronaut one with sunglasses. Looks like it was designed by a 14yr old.

On a serious note this has to be a money laundering scheme of some sorts. Max number of cards you can purchase in on transaction is 100 which puts it just short of the $10000 threshold which would require it to be reported. Plus they allow you to buy with crypto.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I just saw this and you're basically correct.

It has changed a tad in recent years, maybe due to the "we never get a break from it" but a refresher:

1968 - Nixon vs LBJ (we now know that was never going to happen - but Humphrey came up through McCarthy and RFK. And btw - in 1967, it was George Romney until his brainwashing remark)

1972 - Nixon vs Muskie (he won the NH primary but by "only" 9 points and that was all she wrote

1976 - Jimmy Carter didn't even register in the 1974 straw polls, starting his move in February 1975

1980 - Carter vs Reagan (YES, it happened this time)

1984 - Reagan vs Ted Kennedy or Walter Mondale (1/2 credit)

1988 - Probably But Not Sure Bush vs Gary Hart

1992 - Bush vs Cuomo/Bradley/Gore/Gephardt/Rockefeller

1996 - Clinton vs Dole

2000 - Gore vs Bush (caveat: the GOP in 1998 decided the poll numbers were enough for W)

2004 - Bush vs Mr SCREAM (Dean)

2008 - Hillary vs Rudi

2012 - Obama vs Romney/Huckabee (I'll grant this one since Romney was the more serious candidate)

2016 - Hillary vs Paul Ryan/Marco Rubio/Ted Cruz

2020 - Trump vs Bernie or Warren
I would add - and it was different back when state delegations chose the nominees - that in 1964, it was supposed to be JFK and Rockefeller. Tragedy removed the President and the birth of his baby with his new wife two days before the California primary finished off Rockefeller.

It would shake out even more bizarre this time if Biden isn’t running simply because the Dems are shuffling the calendar and moving Iowa out of the starter spot.

And despite another myth that endures, RFK wasn’t going to beat Nixon in 68 because he wasn’t even going to win the nomination, which wasn’t chosen by primary votes that year (for the most part) but by state delegations.

When Carter ran in 1976, the Ford campaign noted that it is a common phenomenon where a dazzling new candidate bursts on the scene, wins a bit - and their popularity craters when people find out their positions on issues or what dog they kicked in college. It happened with MacArthur, McGovern, Carter, Hart, Perot, Howard Dean, Bernie. It’ll happen to DeSantis, whose chief asset right now is “he’s not Trump.”

It would have happened to Colin Powell, too, and he knew it. So when he passed it was “we missed out because he could have been President.” Had he run, the moment he said he was for or against X, his numbers would have begun to drop.

That’s not to say DeSantis won’t win or even be the next President. But it’s a long way from where he is to where he hopes to go.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I really don't think so. They are both the same. Both will energize Democrats to get out and vote.
How can anybody vote for a president who just negotiated with a rogue state/terrorist?

Before anybody thinks this is me siding with either Trump or DeSantis, it is not. I will be voting for "other" in the election. DeSantis, Trump and Biden are NOT GOOD ENOUGH to run this country and we need to demand better not settle for "eh, at least he's not the other guy."

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
How can anybody vote for a president who just negotiated with a rogue state/terrorist?

Before anybody thinks this is me siding with either Trump or DeSantis, it is not. I will be voting for "other" in the election. DeSantis, Trump and Biden are NOT GOOD ENOUGH to run this country and we need to demand better not settle for "eh, at least he's not the other guy."
That will literally never happen. Most people don't vote for candidates, they vote for parties/ideologies. This is exactly how so many economic illiterates wind up in Congress.

• Haha
Reactions: 92tide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.