Tua > Burrow - Change my mind.

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
Even if they are even in all areas except that Tua may be more injury prone, I'd still take Tua... I think he may have more intangibles AND he can play the ukulele.
Forgot about the ukulele skills. Even more of a slam dunk for me taking that into consideration. :cool:

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Nope.

I was watching Aaron Rodgers highlights and it dawned on me that Tua is a left handed Rodgers when you look at his decisiveness and how quick he gets the ball out.

Reactions: Tide99

BamaFanTN

3rd Team
Mar 1, 2011
Melbourne, FL
The thing I keep thinking about is why the difference in Burrow from last year to this year. Yeah he is good but was it good combined with great scheme? Tua has been great since his freshman year with three different OC's. Makes me think it was more the scheme than Borrow being as good or better than Tua. Nobody was talking about Burrow like this last year, they've been talking about Tua since the beginning!

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
Tua is one of the all time greats but Burrows accomplishments respectfully outpaced him this season.
Only due to injury. Before the injury Tua slightly ahead of Burrow in TD's and QBR despite sitting out a game. No reason to believe Tua was slowing down as he was better than he's ever been.

Tua's done it his entire career and Joe was on Tua's level statistically speaking for only one season.

For me that makes Tua the 🐐

OSUTideFan

All-American
Dec 17, 2019
Indiana
Only due to injury. Before the injury Tua slightly ahead of Burrow in TD's and QBR despite sitting out a game. No reason to believe Tua was slowing down as he was better than he's ever been.

Tua's done it his entire career and Joe was on Tua's level statistically speaking for only one season.

For me that makes Tua the 🐐
Agreed. But the injury ruined his finest moments in CFB. And people have a recency bias for this sort of thing, particularly NFL recruiters.
The NFL wants someone who can plug and play with minimal adjustments. And it takes time to go from an elite NCAA QB to the point where you have the guy start on an NFL playoff ready team.
The mental gap has to be bridged by the relevant NFL scouts and team owners to see if the time investment is worthy to develop Tua from an elite CFB player to a Super Bowl worthy QB during his pro career. It can be done, it’s just a matter of convincing the right people.

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
Honestly I think Tua is more NFL ready and Super Bowl worthy than any college QB in a long long time. For me the injury didn't ruin his finest moments but it did rob us of more of them.

It was going to be hard to top his finest moment happening in his first meaningful game. I mean we are talking maybe the most electrifying and clutch play in the history of the playoffs topping off an already gutsy and historic comeback performance that should have been capped off with a chip shot fg for the win.

Unless there is some big medical set back he's going top 5. As much as I think he's better than Burrow I hope Cincy doesn't figure it out. Hate to see him there. I want to see him in Miami but think they may have to move up for him. There may be teams trying to trade up in front of them to nab him.

Everyone is saying Trevor is a better prospect than Tua or Burrow but I don't get that. We have a direct comparison to be made this year. LSU put heavy pressure on both Tua and Burrow. Trevor was overwhelmed and folded. Tua put up over 400 yards of passing and 41 points on them.

Now Tua is one year ahead of Trevor on experience but many say Trevor would be #1 if he was eligible this year. He's got some improving to do imo. Everybody falls in love with the 6'5" height and cannon I suppose.

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
Pacific Island folk are some of the best people and their friendship, when made available, should be cherished.
Yeah they really are. I lived and worked in Oahu back in 90's for a year before coming back to the mainland for college. My boss was a native Hawaiian. Very proud of their heritage and connection to the land & sea.

As long as you respect that it's all good. It can be a little bit intimidating as a haole boy on the island learning the ropes though. West side is whole different world than the tourist areas!

Went back in 2005 and got married up on the North Shore. Long overdue for another trip to islands. I've been to the Caribbean and Bahamas which have the gorgeous water and white sands but there is just something different and special about Hawaii.

Maybe that's why I'm such a big Tua fan. Got the T'town and Oahu connection going on!

Reactions: OSUTideFan

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
The only thing I can compare Burrow's transformation to is what we saw from Blake Sims A-Day to fall season in 2014. Not same level of improvement but still very dramatic.

So that being said, you really have to look beyond the highlights to find if a QB will be successful in the NFL. Lots of college QBs have looked all world in college to never find a place in the NFL and the college systems can really mask deficiencies in talent and mechanics. Also, an open WR in the NFL is much different than college especially when considering the Big 12.

The safer ROI pick is Burrow. But if you want to bet who is a potential HoFer, take Tua.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Honestly I think Tua is more NFL ready and Super Bowl worthy than any college QB in a long long time. For me the injury didn't ruin his finest moments but it did rob us of more of them.

It was going to be hard to top his finest moment happening in his first meaningful game. I mean we are talking maybe the most electrifying and clutch play in the history of the playoffs topping off an already gutsy and historic comeback performance that should have been capped off with a chip shot fg for the win.

Unless there is some big medical set back he's going top 5. As much as I think he's better than Burrow I hope Cincy doesn't figure it out. Hate to see him there. I want to see him in Miami but think they may have to move up for him. There may be teams trying to trade up in front of them to nab him.

Everyone is saying Trevor is a better prospect than Tua or Burrow but I don't get that. We have a direct comparison to be made this year. LSU put heavy pressure on both Tua and Burrow. Trevor was overwhelmed and folded. Tua put up over 400 yards of passing and 41 points on them.

Now Tua is one year ahead of Trevor on experience but many say Trevor would be #1 if he was eligible this year. He's got some improving to do imo. Everybody falls in love with the 6'5" height and cannon I suppose.
Since you bring up SB worthy, how many besides Peyton Manning could ever say “ this guy is going to win a Super Bowl” in the last 20 years.

Let’s see

-Brady has 6 of those. Brady was not well thought of at all in college

- P Manning has 2 and was well regarded as a generational talent that probably would win a few

- Roethlisberger has 2 but he was not this great quarterback that was going to take 2 SBs

- Eli has 2. Maybe you could make an argument but most folks thought he was just a good qb

- Rodgers has 1 okay another you could make a case for.

- The others are Wilson, Foles, Dilfer, Johnson, Warner, Flacco, and Brees. Out of those I guess Brees you could make a case.

The point is a SB winner is usually a quarterback that fits a certain system better than the guy on the other side. Rarely can you gauge that from a college performance.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The biggest positive in Burrow's favor is his durability. Heck, he's just straight up tough.
I have to agree.
Combine Tua's durability issues with his absolute refusal to throw the ball away because he believes he can score a touchdown on every single play if he just extends the play a bit longer.
In the NFL, that spells a very short career, as much as I hate to say it.
If I was a GM, I'd take Burrow over Tua. Tua is more accurate but Burrow is more durable. You can't throw TD passes on the sidelines sporting crutches.

• Thank You
Reactions: Islander and rgw

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
Tua has a better arm and release, super actuate most of the time, and if 100% healthy, could probably win a foot race with Burrow.
But, Burrow is 6'4" 220ish and seems to be made of steel as far as taking hits, has great instincts for scrambling for first downs ,good all around athlete.
I think most NFL GMs would side with Burrow all things considered ,even though he doesn't have Tua's arm.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Tua has a better arm and release, super actuate most of the time, and if 100% healthy, could probably win a foot race with Burrow.
But, Burrow is 6'4" 220ish and seems to be made of steel as far as taking hits, has great instincts for scrambling for first downs ,good all around athlete.
I think most NFL GMs would side with Burrow all things considered ,even though he doesn't have Tua's arm.
Burrow's a smarmy punk and Tua's 100% class...Next!!!

Reactions: Tide99

92teamownsall

Scout Team
Sep 10, 2013
Other than the first game against Georgia Tua doesn’t fair well against top level teams. Burrow excels there. Tuna will have problems in the nfl if he seriously doesn’t get rid of the ball faster

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
Burrow's a smarmy punk and Tua's 100% class...Next!!!
There has been a certain off-putting quality to Burrow at times this year I haven't been able to put words to. Most people were calling it confidence. Smarmy may fit. I thought maybe it was just me that couldn't stand the look on his face 95% of the time. Guess I'm not the only one!

• Haha
Reactions: The Ols

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
Other than the first game against Georgia Tua doesn’t fair well against top level teams. Burrow excels there. Tuna will have problems in the nfl if he seriously doesn’t get rid of the ball faster
Bunk. Yes he threw 1 bad pick against LSU but played well in the face of constant pressure and kept us in the LSU game. Trevor Lawrence folded against that same D.

Sometimes a team has your number and has out schemed you like with Clemson last year. That's was a coaching catastrophe and half our coaches had already mentally checked out.

Truth is that Burrow didn't face a really good defense all year including our own. Burrow has built up so much false bravado and swagger he's going to crash hard when things don't go so easily for him in the NFL as they have this dream season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.