Tua > Burrow - Change my mind.

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
I know he's the latest belle of the ball but I just don't see it. They are maybe equal in deep ball accuracy but in every other metric Tua's talent is superior.

Exhibit #1: Look no further than Tua's last TD pass in a Bama uniform. This really shows the combination of all his amazing talents. The announcers and 99% of comments only focus on the accurate throw and how he leads Waddle so perfectly. All true and a thing of beauty.

But watch Tua look off the deep safety baiting him inside by not only moving his eyes and head but body as if he's set to throw to the right side of field. The safety buys what Tua is selling, takes a step inside, and he is DONE!

Tua then has his mismatch with Waddle one on one. No way the safety can recover to get back and make a play on the ball. Tua comes back left with a little hop and the ball is gone. All this happens in less than 2.5 seconds. Tua makes the one on one happen. Not just easily throwing it up to superior talent behind a great o-line as so many like to think.

His fast and flawless footwork and body control, processing speed, fast twitch muscles, along with accuracy to deliver such a perfectly thrown ball is truly just off the charts good. I can't stress enough how freakishly impossible this is for almost every other QB on the planet. Truly instinctive QB play that can't be taught . Just flat out God given talent. It's different and it's special. He plays the game in a way I've never really seen it played.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
What are we supposed to change your mind about? Drafting Burrow over Tua? NFL trajectory? College football qb?

It’s weird you use one clip of Tua but don’t compare and contrast anything with Burrow

Reactions: Probius

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The biggest positive in Burrow's favor is his durability. Heck, he's just straight up tough. I'm pretty sure he was playing that second half v. Clemson with a cracked rib but ultimately changed nothing. Their first drive of the second half looked shaky...possibly the first time he looked scared of contact all season...next drive he's running designed draws and standing tall for throws.

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
No it's just a saying. An invitation for debate on a viewpoint you hold a strong viewpoint on but are willing to have your belief challenged and see if anyone can make a persuasive case to get you to rethink your position.

I obviously have some Bama bias and am going against the grain now that Burrow seems to be the consensus #1 pick. I'm curious if once the evaluations really start some of that cools down.

Other than durability. I don't see one metric in which Burrow has an advantage on Tua.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
The biggest positive in Burrow's favor is his durability. Heck, he's just straight up tough. I'm pretty sure he was playing that second half v. Clemson with a cracked rib but ultimately changed nothing. Their first drive of the second half looked shaky...possibly the first time he looked scared of contact all season...next drive he's running designed draws and standing tall for throws.
Since the game, Burrow has stated that he played the 2nd half with torn cartilage in his ribs. Pretty tough guy. He definitely came out tentative but that quickly changed and he seemed to show no fear (including running the ball) the rest of the game. I think Tua is just as tough and has more talent, the jury is just still out on whether his injuries are behind him now.

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
Burrow reminds me of crazy legs Coker in how he runs inviting contact and his toughness. Oddly enough his passing skill set reminds me a lot of AJ. I think AJ would have put up similar numbers in LSU's offense this year.

He's sort of a love child of AJ & Coker....😁

Reactions: SkullDuckery

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Burrow is the safest #1 pick at this point for so many reasons that it isn’t close. Reasons such as durability, height, mobility, accuracy, and the fact that he is an Ohio native makes him the obvious #1 pick. I would draft him over Tua based on durability alone at this point.

If you want to argue NFL legacy, better college qb, better passer, or better leader then have at it because you’ll probably get a lot of different answers. But if it’s all about the #1 pick or first qb taken then it’s not even close in that it is burrow.

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
The gap is not significant enough in the other metrics to disregard this one.
Yeah I think that's definitely the consensus now. I'm wondering as closer film evaluation happens if that does't change and Tua's film really wow's some folks when they get down into the weeds.

Combined with more positive medical evaluations by teams and a great pro day where he's showing full mobility and that he still has that fast twitch movement.

Burrow almost looks lumbering in the pocket compared to Tua's movement.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The gap is not significant enough in the other metrics to disregard this one.
Unfortunately true.

I do agree that, on QB skill alone, we have never seen anything like Tua. But Burrow isn't so far away from him, and then you get to durability. Hopefully, this never rears its head in the NFL because Tua either learns to avoid it, or we find out that his Alabama career was just star crossed.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah I think that's definitely the consensus now. I'm wondering as closer film evaluation happens if that does't change and Tua's film really wow's some folks when they get down into the weeds.

Combined with more positive medical evaluations by teams and a great pro day where he's showing full mobility and that he still has that fast twitch movement.

Burrow almost looks lumbering in the pocket compared to Tua's movement.
Looks don't matter. Results do. The fact is that Burrow, while tough and all that, rarely takes a direct shot. He does take some though, and bounces right back up. So his movement is actually quite good, quite adept, and leads to extended plays which absolutely kills a defense because you can't cover elite WRs that long.

Reactions: UAllday and B1GTide

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Tua had two ankle injuries that were given surgery, he had a knee injury and hurt himself again jumping to celebrate a TD, he had a hand issue one spring that required surgery, and of course the hip. He's a crap shoot for an NFL team. Yes, he throws the most beautifully accurate passes anyone has ever seen, but when he gets hit the first time in the NFL I'm legitimately concerned for him....especially in a long 16 game NFL season, if he can make it that long. I pray he can, love the kid, but man he seems fragile.

Compared to Burrow, if everything else is equal.....Burrow would have to be my pick if I'm an NFL GM. Burrow just isn't fragile.

Comparing Mac to Burrow.....especially in the Michigan game....I remember Mac getting hit and me thinking that he was tough and I didn't worry about him getting knocked out of the game. I always told Tua via my TV.....THROW THE BALL AWAY, DON'T TAKE THE HIT.....and....please get up.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
Burrow is the safest #1 pick at this point for so many reasons that it isn’t close. Reasons such as durability, height, mobility, accuracy, and the fact that he is an Ohio native makes him the obvious #1 pick. I would draft him over Tua based on durability alone at this point.

If you want to argue NFL legacy, better college qb, better passer, or better leader then have at it because you’ll probably get a lot of different answers. But if it’s all about the #1 pick or first qb taken then it’s not even close in that it is burrow.
Durability agreed though anything can happen at any time. Height yes but Tua doesn't get balls batted that often. Tua also has size 10.25 hands which is huge and a plus.

Mobility and accuracy I disagree. Tua is more mobile in the pocket. Footwork there is no comparison. Tua is much quicker. Top speed is probably similar. Burrow is quicker to bail out of the pocket and quicker to run than Tua. But Tua makes more rushers miss inside the pocket.

Accuracy I give the edge to Tua but Joe was very accurate this year.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Tua had two ankle injuries that were given surgery, he had a knee injury and hurt himself again jumping to celebrate a TD, he had a hand issue one spring that required surgery, and of course the hip. He's a crap shoot for an NFL team. Yes, he throws the most beautifully accurate passes anyone has ever seen, but when he gets hit the first time in the NFL I'm legitimately concerned for him....especially in a long 16 game NFL season, if he can make it that long. I pray he can, love the kid, but man he seems fragile.

Compared to Burrow, if everything else is equal.....Burrow would have to be my pick if I'm an NFL GM. Burrow just isn't fragile.

Comparing Mac to Burrow.....especially in the Michigan game....I remember Mac getting hit and me thinking that he was tough and I didn't worry about him getting knocked out of the game. I always told Tua via my TV.....THROW THE BALL AWAY, DON'T TAKE THE HIT.....and....please get up.
Mac took a ton of hits against Auburn as well.

Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.