Link: Tua discusses leaving early or staying.

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
Fair, but I wouldn't bet my career on him at this point, either.
One could be betting their career by passing on him. How quickly one can fall out of favor and become yesterday's news I guess.

Burrow is the hot thing now but I still say he's the bigger risk. Go to the tapes and it's obvious who the superior QB is and it's not even that close. No average tape out there of Tua. Only Brilliance.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I absolutely love Tua. He is a great person and an incredible player, but I couldn't draft him at number 2. There are too many variables in play. How mobile will he be, how will he handle contact, how will the hip hold up, and when will he be ready to play?

all these things are unknown. This is a super serious injury that people are never the same after. I pray Tua is 100% again, but he may never be and if I’m a GM I simply can’t take him that high.

OSUTideFan

All-American
Dec 17, 2019
Indiana
Tua is a class act and a heartbreaker. I wish him the absolute best and I believe the best is yet in front of him. But he needs to be careful and avoid doing things that can endanger his recovery.

I saw him on crutches during the Awbun game being interviewed. During the interview with the talking head, all he said about his prognosis is that the docs told him not to put weight on that hip socket during recovery.

Cool, right?

then cut to a scene later when Bama has the ball or touches down (can’t remember which), the camera cuts to him STANDING UP to cheer the teams good fortune. Oh for the love of God, Man! Listen to the docs! This is your whole life ahead of you they are talking about!

Sorry folks, had to vent. Youthful exuberance and all, right? I hope he heals full and well, soon, anyway. Such a bright young man.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
I've thought both scenarios out in my head. Obviously with him going he's still more than likely the second QB taken and the best case scenario is that he goes to a team that's not really in dire need of a QB but needs one for the future (similar to the Ravens picking Lamar) so he gets to sit behind a QB for a year or two until his number is called upon. All of this is barring any set backs.

The other scenario of him coming back is risky, let alone injury risk but risk of slipping further because let's say he comes back next season and plays (don't know if he'll be ready by USC but let's assume here), if he looks really rusty and has just an average season, he definitely slips behind Fields and Lawrence in 2021 and could slip out the first round, on the flip side if everything goes well and the rust is not there, he could possibly trump Lawrence and be that #1 pick when everyone assumed for three years it would be Trevor.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
After all is said and done, I just want him to go to a good organization with a solid foundation. I really don’t want to see him pummeled begins a crappy line or have skill players that offer no help. If it’s this year or next, I just want Tua to succeed at the next level and see the nice guy get his just reward.

Reactions: Con

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I've thought both scenarios out in my head. Obviously with him going he's still more than likely the second QB taken and the best case scenario is that he goes to a team that's not really in dire need of a QB but needs one for the future (similar to the Ravens picking Lamar) so he gets to sit behind a QB for a year or two until his number is called upon. All of this is barring any set backs.

The other scenario of him coming back is risky, let alone injury risk but risk of slipping further because let's say he comes back next season and plays (don't know if he'll be ready by USC but let's assume here), if he looks really rusty and has just an average season, he definitely slips behind Fields and Lawrence in 2021 and could slip out the first round, on the flip side if everything goes well and the rust is not there, he could possibly trump Lawrence and be that #1 pick when everyone assumed for three years it would be Trevor.

I agree with your scenarios. I wish he would come back, but I think if he is in the mid or upper 1st round, he needs to go while he can get the chance and the money. I don't want him to be behind Trevor and/or Fields and whoever else emerges next year. Maybe he can get drafted early this year and rehab/"redshirt" a year in the NFL. Whatever the decision is, I still think it will be more up to his dad than him. They may not publicly say that, but that's my opinion.

Reactions: RammerJammer15

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You are forgetting one thing - the guys making these picks want to keep their jobs. Nothing will get a GM fired faster than picking the wrong QB early in the draft. If they draft Tua #3 and he can't play for whatever reason, the GM is getting fired. So, you draft very carefully when you have an early round pick. You can have any other player fail and folks forget about it. You can't pick wrong with a QB that early and survive.
You are forgetting one thing - GMs in the NFL are recycled just like head coaches. There's a tremendously high turnover rate for GMs in the NFL. When one gets fired he gets hired somewhere else as associate GM for a year or two and then gets another GM job. They've basically set up the current regime to fail by gutting the roster of their best players and creating a toxic football culture that the likes of Minkah Fitzpatrick wanted out of. Let's be honest - the current head coach and GM of the Dolphins will likely be fired within 2-3 years regradless of how their draft picks turn out because they're a garbage franchise..

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
If Tua comes back I can't see him being rusty for an entire season. What a slap in the face to the performances he has blessed us all with!

Dude is the Goat and his rusty is a career day for most. He can deliver a ball more accurately out of his scooter than 95% of the healthy QB's getting ready for their bowl games!

I'm high on Tua. If he comes back for another year no way he goes below Fields and I think he's a better QB than Lawerence as well. He just doesn't have the lulls in performance and has been so remarkably consistent his entire career.

I think he's taken #1 this year and it wouldn't surprise me to see Miami trade up to #1 to get him. Kyler Murray went #1 last year and not many were predicting that. That's a far bigger risk just on talent alone than the unlikely chance Tua can't recover enough mobility to play QB.

CJ Mosley recovered just fine to go on and play LB in the NFL. Tua's going to be just fine and go on to play his special style of football in the NFL wether it be this upcoming year or the next. We've all got our opinions. Be interesting to see how it plays out.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Yeah, that's the elephant in the room concerning the biggest game on his resume. The 4 tds are negated to 1 considering his goal-line pick 6 was a 14 point swing literally.
That play bothers me. Why wasn't Najee looking for the ball? He was nearly to the sideline and still had his back to the QB... 🤔

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That play bothers me. Why wasn't Najee looking for the ball? He was nearly to the sideline and still had his back to the QB... 🤔
MJ had a defender in his face and was forced to throw it early. The defender "blew up" the play and MJ should have thrown it away or taken the loss. Najee wasn't looking because he was still running his route. Nothing about the play was Najee's fault. Can't fault him for trying to catch a pass thrown 2 feet behind him when it should have never been thrown. It was just a huge mistake (a 14 points swing) that determined the IB on basically 1 play.

Reactions: TiderJack and UAH

WishIwasInBama

1st Team
Jul 17, 2005
Okinawa Japan
I know I have an overly simplistic view but to me, the over whelming majority of these teams only have 1 pick per round so no matter if its the 1st pick, 3rd, or 30th it is still that teams first pick. Granted the teams at the front usually have more holes to fill but very few (if any) are 100% solid at QB. There is a different mindset when it comes to QB's. Teams take bigger chances and swing for the fences a little more hoping to hit the next great thing, I mean come on, Mitchell Trubisky went #2. No way Tua falls out of the first in my opinion

Reactions: Tide99

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Some team will pass on Tua this year or next and there will be stories written about his similar to the team that passed on Michael Jordan.

Reactions: Tide99

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
No way Tua comes back for senior season. Injury or no injury, he is a lottery pick talent and it seems like everyone (or nearly everyone) in the NFL knows it.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
No way Tua comes back for senior season. Injury or no injury, he is a lottery pick talent and it seems like everyone (or nearly everyone) in the NFL knows it.
NFL GMs are like someone eating sweets in front of a kid. "No, no, you wouldn't like this". "No, no, you wouldn't want Tua, he was hurt n stuff"

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
I would be shocked if Tua fell to the 2nd round. The risk and probably the main reason he would consider coming back is the decline in guaranteed money from the first few picks to the back half of the 1st round. The difference is significant especially for someone who before the year was widely projected as the #1 pick.

I could easily see a team taking a chance on him in the top 10. I could also just as easily see him dropping to somewhere between 15 and 25. He won't have the chance to throw live for scouts before the draft so they're gonna be completely reliant on film. If Tua came back and had a healthy season, he's easily a top 3 pick in my opinion even with Lawrence and Field in next year's class. He would also have a good chance at the Heisman and a national championship. Of course, there's always the chance of another injury.

There are a lot of factors to consider. I won't fault his decision either way.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.