Link: Tua discusses leaving early or staying.

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
Does anyone have any insight on this from Tua's PC yesterday? Maybe he should have had a doctor with him to assist with these kind of questions:

When asked about what kind of impact this injury might have on his ability to play in the future, Tua was quite honest:
“I won’t say I will be the same again because there’s metal in here [in the hip] now. I [will] lose some inward rotation [of the hip]. So I won’t be able to twist it as much inward and whatnot. But I wouldn’t need that as much, you know when you’re running you’re usually opening up your hip. The doctors have said that they expect a full recovery and I will be able to go out there and play at 100%. Just won’t be able to twist it inward as much”

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
He mentioned being drafted in the top 15 as "hard to turn down". Which to me is him saying that anything outside of that may not be worth (to him) leaving early. Here's the thing. People can "project" and "guess" where Tua is going to go all day. And when I say "people", I mean the insiders of the NFL that Saban and Tua will be consulting on making his decision. When draft day actually gets and happens. All of those "projections" go out the window. It's a crap shoot at that point.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He mentioned being drafted in the top 15 as "hard to turn down". Which to me is him saying that anything outside of that may not be worth (to him) leaving early. Here's the thing. People can "project" and "guess" where Tua is going to go all day. And when I say "people", I mean the insiders of the NFL that Saban and Tua will be consulting on making his decision. When draft day actually gets and happens. All of those "projections" go out the window. It's a crap shoot at that point.
Mock drafts are just for the fans. It’s why all those that have 7 Bama players in the first round are untrustworthy and far fetched . What really decides where someone goes is a combination of team interviews- Senior Bowl- Combine- and Pro Day performances. Those are all after the season.

I think Saban’s insider sources are more spot on than the 100’s of mock drafts that people post, but it still doesn’t negate what the combine can do.

Reactions: B1GTide

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Mock drafts are just for the fans. It’s why all those that have 7 Bama players in the first round are untrustworthy and far fetched . What really decides where someone goes is a combination of team interviews- Senior Bowl- Combine- and Pro Day performances. Those are all after the season.

I think Saban’s insider sources are more spot on than the 100’s of mock drafts that people post, but it still doesn’t negate what the combine can do.
Even with all the insider sources Saban has access to. It also still doesn't predict the unpredictability of draft day. It sounds like Tua's minimum standards to make leaving "worth it" is a top 15 pick. That is a very small window to bank on to "make it worth it". Granted, all he said in the interview could be just pure "fluff" for media sake.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I think he's the most likely one. Tyson will hang on because of family, as will Taulia. Mac will do very well somewhere else, if he transfers...
There are several SEC schools who would love to have Mac right now. He would've been a multi-year starter if he'd stayed with Kentucky. After the bowl, he will have a good amount of tape to show other teams.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Even with all the insider sources Saban has access to. It also still doesn't predict the unpredictability of draft day. It sounds like Tua's minimum standards to make leaving "worth it" is a top 15 pick. That is a very small window to bank on to "make it worth it". Granted, all he said in the interview could be just pure "fluff" for media sake.
If he is saying “top 15 or I’m coming back” then I think him coming back is more likely. I think without a combine or Senior Day it’s more likely that teams will try to get him cheaper.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
In order to be guaranteed as a top 15 pick you need to be told you're a top 5 pick. 50+ guys get told they're 1st rounders.
Even then its not guaranteed. Arguably, 4 of the 5 teams picking in the top 5 in 2005 needed a QB. Aaron Rodgers was the 2nd rated QB behind Alex Smith. And he dropped to 24.

You just never know with NFL teams.

Reactions: B1GTide and Con

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
My takeaway from this interview is notwithstanding the injury contingent upon the full recovery Tua's doctors say he will make, Tua believes he is the best QB this year or next year, and I believe he is as well. He also talks as he is not satisfied with what he has accomplished at Bama. I think he wanted to win a NC as a full season starter and possibly a Heisman - and none of that has happened. So he rightfully sounds torn.

If I'm him, I wouldn't come back unless we can field a championship level defense and a solid running game.

Interestingly, I was watching 2014 SEC championship game v UM. I know it was with Blake as QB but I thought to myself how powerful the running game was with Yeldon and Henry yet we also could torch defenses downfield with Cooper and White. That is what we need to get back to. That defense had a stellar DL but could not cover over the middle or downfield worth a flip. I think Greg Brown was our DB coach that year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Does anyone have any insight on this from Tua's PC yesterday? Maybe he should have had a doctor with him to assist with these kind of questions:

When asked about what kind of impact this injury might have on his ability to play in the future, Tua was quite honest:
“I won’t say I will be the same again because there’s metal in here [in the hip] now. I [will] lose some inward rotation [of the hip]. So I won’t be able to twist it as much inward and whatnot. But I wouldn’t need that as much, you know when you’re running you’re usually opening up your hip. The doctors have said that they expect a full recovery and I will be able to go out there and play at 100%. Just won’t be able to twist it inward as much”
The harsh reality - throwing a football is not an arm activity, it is an entire body activity. The lost hip mobility will mean that Tua has to learn to spin the bean differently. No one knows what that will mean to him until after he tries. Also, Tua throws across his body a ton. That is going to be a lot harder to do now.

Tua may be able to play at the same level that he has, but he may not. No one knows. But his brain is the thing that is most valuable. His brain does the calculations that translate into passes coming out quickly, and being delivered into places that receivers will be in before they get there. His brain is the difference between him as a QB and other guys with incredible arms. As long as his brain is okay, he is going to be a very good QB.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The harsh reality - throwing a football is not an arm activity, it is an entire body activity. The lost hip mobility will mean that Tua has to learn to spin the bean differently. No one knows what that will mean to him until after he tries. Also, Tua throws across his body a ton. That is going to be a lot harder to do now.

Tua may be able to play at the same level that he has, but he may not. No one knows. But his brain is the thing that is most valuable. His brain does the calculations that translate into passes coming out quickly, and being delivered into places that receivers will be in before they get there. His brain is the difference between him as a QB and other guys with incredible arms. As long as his brain is okay, he is going to be a very good QB.
I have to agree. I was a little dismayed at his revelations. His socket (acetabular plateau) must have been pretty badly damaged. He'll have to compensate. I agree that his brain computer is what distinguishes him from other QBs. If anyone can compensate, he can. OTOH, that uncertainty would seem to be a thumb on the scales on the side of coming back...

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
There is a lot of pressure on an NFL GM to hit it out of the park with their first round pick. Let's face it, a high percentage of first round player are a bust or just have a mediocre career. Taking Tua as your first player is high risk for a GM. Nobody knows how well he will recover, and he will have the "injury prone" sigma in some GM's eyes. If Tua goes in the first round, he will most likely go to a team that has multiple first round picks and likely a late pick at that, IMO.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and B1GTide

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Getting a Top 15 grade, and actually getting drafted in the Top 15 are 2 different things.

The teams that need a QB badly are also the teams that consistently lose, and most likely can not protect their QB. He is too much of a risk, for those teams.

There are probably lots of NFL GMs that would tell CNS "sure, he is a top 15 pick", and hope he falls into their lap, at lower price. They would also be teams that do not need a QB ASAP, who can not only give him the time to learn, but rehab as well. His chances of having a longer career, along with that second contract payday, are better if he is not drafted in the Top 15.

About the only thing certain is he will not be picked in the first 5, this year.

Reactions: Con and B1GTide

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I’m a casual NFL witching. For those with better football acumen and who actually watch the NFL, who has a good organization, good OL, and either needs a QB or will need one the future? The only teams that come to mind are the Pats, the Saints (if Teddy leaves), and the Titans.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Agreed with the statement that if Tua wants to be top 15 minimum, he needs to be confident he's at least top 5. Probably 60 dudes get "first round grade" from the advisory board. That process is a good guideline but it is not 100% accurate. Also, by what I've read, the advisory committee only gives 1st round, 2nd round, or 3rd or later range as their response to inquiry. They aren't telling guys they're a top 5 pick, top half of the 1st round, etc. I believe they poll a few teams across the league for a response on where they have the prospect graded. Furthermore, I'm a skeptic and tend to think this system will sample from teams in a way to encourage the most talent entering the system each year. They have no real interest in a player developing, they want more talent today and will spit them out tomorrow if they aren't ready.

kat4bama

3rd Team
Aug 27, 2009
I hope he goes and the Patriots trade up and he can be under Brady for a couple of years. He doesn't need to risk staying.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.