Tuscaloosa Regional

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Sorry for the late update…had to get home.

In T7, Chattanooga’s first batter struck out. Second got a clean single, followed by one of those weird super-high bouncers on which Prange rightly didn’t even attempt a throw to 1st base. Runners on 1st and 2nd, 1 out.

Still never felt truly threatened, and for the last out, one of the opposition’s bloopers finally didn’t fall (seems like opposing teams have gotten a ton of those on us), and Dowling made a nice catch to end the game.

Very quick and dirty:
- Salter started at pitcher, and did OK. But Chattanooga mounted a minor threat in the T4, and Fouts came in…I’m guessing largely because Murphy didn’t think we could afford to give up a run (I think he’s right on that).

- Fouts was her usual strong self.

- Hitting woes continue. We scored 3 runs, only two of which were truly our doing. Chattanooga had several untimely walks, and we had some sacrifice flies and bunts to advance runners. But we had bases loaded with 0 or 1 outs a couple of times, and got only 1 run out of it. Tons of frittered-away opportunities that, against a better team, could have been the difference between winning and losing.

This team is limited by the hitting. We can still win a lot of games with Fouts, but she can pitch only so many times, and the terrible batting support means she can’t have an even marginally off day, and we can’t make physical or mental errors in the field.

Without even average hitting, the margin for victory, even with the best pitcher in the game, is just so unnecessarily thin. Made even more so given that Lexi Kilfoyl hasn’t played in a month, and I’ve heard nothing about her possible return.

I don’t know the cause of the hitting issues. But I know it’s a problem and will in all likelihood cause an earlier end to the season than I would have anticipated in January.

Late add: KB Sides played for Alabama for 3 years. She’s at Arkansas now, due to a graduate program Alabama doesn’t offer. Anyway, she hit 3 HRs her last year in Tuscaloosa. This year at Arkansas, she’s in double digit HRs. Sample size is 1, but in combination with our poor position in SEC hitting this year, it does point toward a coaching issue.

Still, we’ve gone from startup to consistent national contender in 25 years, virtually all of which is under Murphy. So he’s clearly doing something right. But we’ve had problems making the next step to consistent legitimate contender for the final.

Can he adapt to the game as it is today, and go from really good to great? We’re about to find out. May be too late for this year, but Ray Charles could see that we need hitting. It’s got to be fixed.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don’t know the cause of the hitting issues. But I know it’s a problem and will in all likelihood cause an earlier end to the season than I would have anticipated in January.
That’s the easiest question to answer.

E4999864-F12F-4AFC-AE06-9F69B1C97909.jpeg

Our hitting woes didn’t just start this year. They are just far more obvious. Since 2015 we have progressively gotten worse and worse because we have valued defensive all stars over hitters. Meaning we have gotten a lot of dead bats and slappers and not people who will knock the crap out of the ball. But usually we had 1 or 2 people like Bailey, Regan, and Haley who could carry the load but weren’t enough to put us over the hump. Now we have based our whole offense around Shipman and Prange, while good they aren’t Alabama all time greats. We desperately have needed people like Tow and Johnson to step up but both have extreme ups and downs. Downling is in the middle.

What we need is probably to focus 100% on offensive players for two recruiting cycles and for transfers. Maybe actually hire a hitting coach. What is going to be sad is for us to waste Montana’s arm and for her never to see a Finals series. But she needs to learn an off speed pitch as well, but our hitting is 90% of why we aren’t a top 5 team.

Comin2yourCity

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 14, 2012
After watching other Regionals, UA has a GREAT draw! I really question if this team can get past Supers.... They can only plate THREE runs against Chattanooga which is not a good a team.

Reactions: UAH

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
After watching other Regionals, UA has a GREAT draw! I really question if this team can get past Supers.... They can only plate THREE runs against Chattanooga which is not a good a team.
We will most likely play Tennessee if we make it out of our regional . Tennessee is dangerous but out of all the SEC teams I would like to play them in a best of 3.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
and, we don't know anything about how to do a run down. That definitely cost us one of the 3 Stanford runs in the first inning.
like I’ve said all year… Shipman maybe our best hitter and look the part but she is a downgrade as a catcher compared to Bailey and Dykes. We have seen more passed balls and WTH mistakes between C and 3B this year that we have never seen in the past 5-6 years. She is good but you can see the difference.

Comin2yourCity

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 14, 2012
STILL looking for a lineup......
like I’ve said all year… Shipman maybe our best hitter and look the part but she is a downgrade as a catcher compared to Bailey and Dykes. We have seen more passed balls and WTH mistakes between C and 3B this year that we have never seen in the past 5-6 years.
She was called for interference (bat hit mitt) when the batter hit the ball, thus allowing the 3rd base runner to come home.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Still no noise from BAMA. Shipman hits into double play to end the inning. Shipman needs to quit jumping on the first pitch every time. I think I've seen her get one hit doing that. Usually it's what just happened - a routine ground out. Still 3-0 Stanford after three. We are making some nice plays in the field as Stanford is putting the ball in play.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Looking more and more like we are playing tonight.

After 6 years of wasting great pitchers someone needs to be held accountable for how bad our hitting has gotten over the years. If Auburn had our pitching then they probably have some serious hardware.

Reactions: Comin2yourCity

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
BAMA's bats are so quiet you can the crickets in the outfield. Another 1-2-3 inning for BAMA's offense. Stanford still leads 3-0 after 4. Will our bats wake up today?

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Well, it's probably a really good bet now that BAMA will be playing tonight. Stanford has three hits in the inning and adds 2 more to take a 5-0 lead into the bottom of the 5th. Montana Fouts is not pitching bad, but doesn't have a single strike out so far today. Every Stanford hitter so far has at least put the ball in play.

Reactions: Comin2yourCity

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
And then, depression set in............5-0 Stanford after five. BAMA's bat are so cold they are in the frozen range. It's pretty clear we will play tonight. With our hitting, will we even make it to Sunday?

Comin2yourCity

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 14, 2012
And then, depression set in............5-0 Stanford after five. BAMA's bat are so cold they are in the frozen range. It's pretty clear we will play tonight. With our hitting, will we even make it to Sunday?
With the way they are playing...they don't deserve to advance. What a MESS

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.