Tuscaloosa Regional

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Well, it looks like it's pretty much over now. 5-0 Stanford, top of 7th, and we're not even out of the inning yet. Fouts now leaving the game, which pretty much means Murphy is conceding. I would call this a pretty sad effort, especially when your season is on the line. Fouts threw well enough thru six innings to win, but we have had absolutely zero production at the plate. Will Murphy fix it in the offseason? That remains to be seen. All I know is this team has broken all of the wrong records and streaks this year. We'll see what happens next year.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well, it looks like it's pretty much over now. 5-0 Stanford, top of 7th, and we're not even out of the inning yet. Fouts now leaving the game, which pretty much means Murphy is conceding. I would call this a pretty sad effort, especially when your season is on the line. Fouts threw well enough thru six innings to win, but we have had absolutely zero production at the plate. Will Murphy fix it in the offseason? That remains to be seen. All I know is this team has broken all of the wrong records and streaks this year. We'll see what happens next year.
I hate to be that person, but unless something changes with who we get in the transfer portal or how we approach hitting then you can just expect us in a game 7 next year. This has been coming for years and it was finally time to pay the piper.

Shipman, Prange, and Johnson are most likely coming back and could have more productive years, but none of them are dominating hitters even at their best. We desperately need someone that is going to knock the crap out of the ball and has self control at the plate.

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
I hate to be that person, but unless something changes with who we get in the transfer portal or how we approach hitting then you can just expect us in a game 7 next year. This has been coming for years and it was finally time to pay the piper.

Shipman, Prange, and Johnson are most likely coming back and could have more productive years, but none of them are dominating hitters even at their best. We desperately need someone that is going to knock the crap out of the ball and has self control at the plate.
Exactly and I agree We actually need several that can knock the crap out of the ball with self control. One can be pitched around to easily.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I agree with all that, but Stanford is not some big home run hitting team. They just have a bunch of hitters, (not slappers), that seem to be consistent at getting single after single. And as has happened all year, teams catch up to Montana in the late innings because there's not much change of speed. Hopefully she can develop that over the offseason. We gave her absolutely no help in game 2 today, just a bunch of feebleness at the plate. I really hope Murphy will change his philosophy and get a hitting coach. The game has changed and it's passing him by.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Question for those who follow this more closely than me: how much of this is on Murphy? I've read in various places that he's stubbornly clinging to an outdated approach to the game, lacks in-game situational awareness, rides single pitchers too much and refuses to hire a hitting coach. Fouts did all she could today and deserved better.

I'm assuming that since Murphy helped put Bama softball on the map, he'll be given the opportunity to correct things, but do you guys think he will?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Exactly and I agree We actually need several that can knock the crap out of the ball with self control. One can be pitched around to easily.
Well Shipman, Prange, Johnson, and Dowling can be a part of a great lineup if they just had that one person was truly dominate. I know a lot people go crazy about Shipman, and yes she is her best hitter, but really she isn’t a needle mover. I mean Tennessee basically was the same or a little better without her, and she really didn’t scare pitchers like Bailey did.

Asking for several new hitters when Murph has clearly invested into this team is tough ask. I think one maybe enough to get us to OKC. 2 might actually make us contenders.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Question for those who follow this more closely than me: how much of this is on Murphy? I've read in various places that he's stubbornly clinging to an outdated approach to the game, lacks in-game situational awareness, rides single pitchers too much and refuses to hire a hitting coach. Fouts did all she could today and deserved better.
Murph is trying to make us replicate those Arizona teams that were so good in the 2000’s. They were dominating pitching, fast runners, and elite defenses. Meaning a lot of station to station small ball and slappers. The problem is that the game has become a lot more national and the Big XII and the SEC have made it a long ball game and dominate pitching game with how they recruit. You can’t keep playing for 2-1 and 3-2 games and expect to win titles. You are going to eventually going to get taken behind the shed.

I'm assuming that since Murphy helped put Bama softball on the map, he'll be given the opportunity to correct things, but do you guys think he will?
Murphy has the ability to stay as long as he likes. So there will be 0 pressure on him because of this.

I have my doubts Murph will do anything besides make a few Transfer portal additions and call it a day.

However something that is not being talked about is how much of an effect that him trying to move Skyler Wallace to Catcher might have had on our program. Yes that probably means we don’t get either Prange and/or Dowling but Skyler is far more of a natural hitter than either.

Comin2yourCity

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 14, 2012
Murph is trying to make us replicate those Arizona teams that were so good in the 2000’s. They were dominating pitching, fast runners, and elite defenses. Meaning a lot of station to station small ball and slappers. The problem is that the game has become a lot more national and the Big XII and the SEC have made it a long ball game and dominate pitching game with how they recruit. You can’t keep playing for 2-1 and 3-2 games and expect to win titles. You are going to eventually going to get taken behind the shed.

Murphy has the ability to stay as long as he likes. So there will be 0 pressure on him because of this.

I have my doubts Murph will do anything besides make a few Transfer portal additions and call it a day.

However something that is not being talked about is how much of an effect that him trying to move Skyler Wallace to Catcher might have had on our program. Yes that probably means we don’t get either Prange and/or Dowling but Skyler is far more of a natural hitter than either.
Exactly! You have to question the thought process of moving/slapping/changing players... If they were recruited as a position player WHY try to make them something they are not?

Comin2yourCity

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 14, 2012

I think Murphy feels he has some "secret to success" that is unrealistic. His philosophy may have worked 10yrs ago but not today. Much like CNS, you have to change with game...even if you don't like it

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Exactly! You have to question the thought process of moving/slapping/changing players... If they were recruited as a position player WHY try to make them something they are not?
I nearly fell out of my chair in the 5th when I saw 3 straight slappers come up. I was like "this cant be real".

There are things that can probably be fixed like hitting, and there are some that MUST be fixed internally before next year if we are to avoid this result.

BamaHoops

3rd Team
Jan 13, 2019

Hopefully this season will get Murph's attention. If not, the future won't be good. In 2011 he fired the pitching coach - Vann Studeman - and hired Tyrone Prothro's wife - a former Bama pitcher. Our pitching has been really good since that change. Studeman got the head coaching job at Miss St and flopped. She's selling real estate in T-Town now.

I don't know who coaches hitting for us - whether it's Murphy himself, or Habetz. Murphy and Habetz have been together forever - don't see him firing her. And I don't know if there are NCAA rules on how many assistants a team can have in softball. But if we don't change things will tank soon. Oklahoma, Arkansas, and others are proof that the future of college softball is in power hitting. Time for Bama to get on that train.

Also - you can be certain that other programs will use our weak hitting against us when recruiting pitchers. "Go to Bama and you'll have to pitch shutouts to win games".

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
Hopefully this season will get Murph's attention. If not, the future won't be good. In 2011 he fired the pitching coach - Vann Studeman - and hired Tyrone Prothro's wife - a former Bama pitcher. Our pitching has been really good since that change. Studeman got the head coaching job at Miss St and flopped. She's selling real estate in T-Town now.

I don't know who coaches hitting for us - whether it's Murphy himself, or Habetz. Murphy and Habetz have been together forever - don't see him firing her. And I don't know if there are NCAA rules on how many assistants a team can have in softball. But if we don't change things will tank soon. Oklahoma, Arkansas, and others are proof that the future of college softball is in power hitting. Time for Bama to get on that train.

Also - you can be certain that other programs will use our weak hitting against us when recruiting pitchers. "Go to Bama and you'll have to pitch shutouts to win games".
You can have 2 paid assistants. You are allowed volunteer assistants.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Hopefully this season will get Murph's attention. If not, the future won't be good. In 2011 he fired the pitching coach - Vann Studeman - and hired Tyrone Prothro's wife - a former Bama pitcher.
Stephanie Vanbrakle is not married to Tyrone Prothro.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You can have 2 paid assistants. You are allowed volunteer assistants.
The problem is that he is paying Alyson almost strictly as an infield coach just so she can have a paid position. Murphy is our hitting coach despite whatever distinction he wants to give Alyson.

BamaHoops

3rd Team
Jan 13, 2019

More to the Skyler Wallace story than you posted. Much more.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.