Tyler Harrell commits to Bama

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
He’s done that twice now.

First was when the rules changed, and (1) allowed OL 3 yards downfield on passing plays — I know, I know….it’s more like 5 - 7 the way it’s enforced — in combination with (2) calling DPI when the DB breathes on the WR, resulted in “basketball on grass.” Saban didn’t like it, asked if that was what we wanted football to be, and tried to get the OL downfield rule reversed. Succeeded with the coaches, but presidents didn’t approve, and we have what we have.

So Saban adapted to the new reality better than anybody else, and kept on kicking the rest of CFB’s teeth in.

Now, he’s questioned whether we really want the combination of (1) transfer rules having the effect of unrestricted free agency in college football, and (2) being able to legally buy players.

He adapted again, and is using the new rules better than anybody else.

The rules were ostensibly designed to help the lesser programs compete. But the truth is they were designed specifically to keep Alabama and Saban from domination. It’s an irony sweet enough to rot your teeth that they’ve had exactly the opposite effect.

On a related topic: All CFB teams have boosters, and donors with deep pockets. But only two have de facto owners: Oregon and Phil Knight, and UTe and Jimmy Haslam. OSUw also fell into this category until Boone Pickens died. I do worry that, having unfettered access to Nike and Pilot Fuel’s essentially unlimited corporate treasuries could make those programs unbeatable in the new world of college football.
I'm with you...their should be some better way to manage this. I'm all for the players...but this is out of whack. Barry S. can do legally what he used to do illegally...what kind of world is this?

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
He’s done that twice now.

First was when the rules changed, and (1) allowed OL 3 yards downfield on passing plays — I know, I know….it’s more like 5 - 7 the way it’s enforced — in combination with (2) calling DPI when the DB breathes on the WR, resulted in “basketball on grass.” Saban didn’t like it, asked if that was what we wanted football to be, and tried to get the OL downfield rule reversed. Succeeded with the coaches, but presidents didn’t approve, and we have what we have.

So Saban adapted to the new reality better than anybody else, and kept on kicking the rest of CFB’s teeth in.

Now, he’s questioned whether we really want the combination of (1) transfer rules having the effect of unrestricted free agency in college football, and (2) being able to legally buy players.

He adapted again, and is using the new rules better than anybody else.

The rules were ostensibly designed to help the lesser programs compete. But the truth is they were designed specifically to keep Alabama and Saban from domination. It’s an irony sweet enough to rot your teeth that they’ve had exactly the opposite effect.

On a related topic: All CFB teams have boosters, and donors with deep pockets. But only two have de facto owners: Oregon and Phil Knight, and UTe and Jimmy Haslam. OSUw also fell into this category until Boone Pickens died. I do worry that, having unfettered access to Nike and Pilot Fuel’s essentially unlimited corporate treasuries could make those programs unbeatable in the new world of college football.
Hopefully Haslam runs UT as well as he runs the Browns. As long as Saban is HC, his track record of championships and NFL draft placement will keep recruiting going strong. When Saban finally retires is when it'll be time to truly worry about NIL/boosters affecting Bama recruiting, assuming no reform in the 15 years between now and when he steps down 😄.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.