Tyler Steen To Alabama

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Great to hear but no way he was guaranteed anything. He will compete but the guy has started 33 games at a SEC program so I think he has a leg up. I was worried about LT but feel better about it now, appears Kendall Randolph has been with the 1's most of the time this spring and just not sure he is the answer. Brockermeyer appears to not be ready yet. Steen will have 2 years of eligibility remaining.

Reactions: The Ols

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Finally he commits to Alabama! Is he the starting left tackle right away, or will he have to compete for it? I heard he would only come to Bama if a starting position was guaranteed.

Coach Saban doesn't operate that way. NOBODY coming in is guaranteed a starting position unless they have earned it. Being that he has not yet put on a uniform and competed on OUR practice field, I really doubt that he was guaranteed anything except a fair chance. :cool:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
It`ll be mucho significant if he can hold his own against Anderson and Turner, even if that means breaking even since I strongly suspect that they`ll be the best in the conference if not all of college football. If he can do that...... would love to see a video of that!

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
It`ll be mucho significant if he can hold his own against Anderson and Turner, even if that means breaking even since I strongly suspect that they`ll be the best in the conference if not all of college football. If he can do that...... would love to see a video of that!
There aren't many pros that can do that... just sayin'. :cool:

• Roll Tide!

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
Finally he commits to Alabama! Is he the starting left tackle right away, or will he have to compete for it? I heard he would only come to Bama if a starting position was guaranteed.

Obviously by the new member moniker you are new here. But are you also new to how Coach Saban operates? This is not the plains, this is not ole siss, this is not puke UT orange. That is not how things work at Bama under the best ever.

forumripper1

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 12, 2022
I know how coach Saban operates, he is the GOAT. I'm just sayin that Steen had other options, and schools that really wanted him. I know UCLA and Virginia were really courting him, and he pretty much would be guaranteed to start at both of those schools. He also could have the chance to play with his brother at UVA. He has 33 career starts in the SEC, that says a lot. We have so much talent at Oline, but they have very little experience. Steen can anchor the OLine at left tackle, and help teach the younger guys as well. I heard that Latham has been looking really good in the spring, and could lock down the starting RT position.

• Roll Tide!

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
We got lucky with Landon dickerson, what a great transfer he was, so i'm not expecting steen to have that kind of impact but how about 75 percent of what Landon was, that would be great. I know it's difficult to be a leader when you're the new guy, but tyler has been around for a while and this line is very young.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The O-Line isn't young so much as it is under-achieving.

Left to right, you have in the spring:
LT -- Randolph. 6th year Senior
LG -- Cohen. Junior
C -- McLaughlin. 3rd year Sophomore
RG -- George. Junior
RT -- Latham -- Sophomore.

And that doesn't include a 5th year Senior (Ekiyor) and a 4th year Senior (Dalcourt) out for the spring.

Depending on how you account for Ekiyor and Dalcourt, that's between 17 and 20 years in the program across 5 positions.

I agree with JustNeedMe81 regarding the probable gist of Steen's recruitment -- turn on last year's OL film and say, "If you don't think you can beat this, you probably don't need to transfer at all."

The question I have is why we've underachieved so badly on the OL.

All of these guys were highly recruited. And sure, you're going to have some who don't live up to their recruiting hype -- that's just the nature of predicting human performance. But it seems that the significant majority haven't -- shoot, we've got players who were 4 and 5 stars coming out of HS who can't crack 2nd team, when 2nd team frankly isn't very good.

I'm not sure if it's coaching (note that Marrone is no longer on the staff), or talent evaluation, or something else. But we should be light-years better on the OL than we are. I'm hoping Steen and Coach Wolford help us get there.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

LG -- Cohen. Junior
RG -- George. Junior

And that doesn't include a 5th year Senior (Ekiyor) and a 4th year Senior (Dalcourt) out for the spring.

Depending on how you account for Ekiyor and Dalcourt, that's between 17 and 20 years in the program across 5 positions.

I agree with JustNeedMe81 regarding the probable gist of Steen's recruitment -- turn on last year's OL film and say, "If you don't think you can beat this, you probably don't need to transfer at all."

All of these guys were highly recruited. And sure, you're going to have some who don't live up to their recruiting hype -- that's just the nature of predicting human performance. But it seems that the significant majority haven't -- shoot, we've got players who were 4 and 5 stars coming out of HS who can't crack 2nd team, when 2nd team frankly isn't very good.

I'm not sure if it's coaching (note that Marrone is no longer on the staff), or talent evaluation, or something else. But we should be light-years better on the OL than we are. I'm hoping Steen and Coach Wolford help us get there.
Some misses on evaluation maybe, but I think coaching was a large part of it

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

LG -- Cohen. Junior
RG -- George. Junior

I think the underachieving part is true for some, but not all.

Cohen and Ekiyor played pretty well last year for the most part. Over 14 games played, Cohen had 10 games with no sacks allowed, and 2 games with just a half sack. Ekiyor only gave up 2.5 sacks over his 15 starts.

Dalcourt fits the bill as underachiever - he gave up as many (or more) pressures and sacks at the OGs did combined, in fewer games played.

when McLaughlin came in, we were immediately better across the entire line. It's a smaller sample size, but across his starts and other PT jumping in for injured players, McLaughlin surrendered ZERO sacks.

KR - agree on underachieving, although he wasn't super highly rated and was projected as an OG, so maybe he is just is what he is.

Latham - if he starts at RT a sophmore, I'd say that is on schedule for a lot of our top tier line guys.

That said, I think we've not recruited as well on the OL as we could have. We've gotten several highly rated guys, Neal, Latham, Brockenmeyer, Wills, Leatherwood since 2017 (picked that since that was when KR signed), but otherwise a lot (not all) of guys on the roster now were lower 4 star guys instead of higher 4 star guys, plus we had some misses like Quick, and T Brown.

Reactions: Con

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I think the underachieving part is true for some, but not all.

Cohen and Ekiyor played pretty well last year for the most part. Over 14 games played, Cohen had 10 games with no sacks allowed, and 2 games with just a half sack. Ekiyor only gave up 2.5 sacks over his 15 starts.

Dalcourt fits the bill as underachiever - he gave up as many (or more) pressures and sacks at the OGs did combined, in fewer games played.

when McLaughlin came in, we were immediately better across the entire line. It's a smaller sample size, but across his starts and other PT jumping in for injured players, McLaughlin surrendered ZERO sacks.

KR - agree on underachieving, although he wasn't super highly rated and was projected as an OG, so maybe he is just is what he is.

Latham - if he starts at RT a sophmore, I'd say that is on schedule for a lot of our top tier line guys.

That said, I think we've not recruited as well on the OL as we could have. We've gotten several highly rated guys, Neal, Latham, Brockenmeyer, Wills, Leatherwood since 2017 (picked that since that was when KR signed), but otherwise a lot (not all) of guys on the roster now were lower 4 star guys instead of higher 4 star guys, plus we had some misses like Quick, and T Brown.
Excellent information on the individuals. Thanks for the research.

I would say, though, that the OL is more of a single unit than a collection of five individuals. As a unit, the OL significantly under-achieved last year, and that was with Neal.

If the individuals are about on track, but the unit suffered, that would argue for coaching as the problem.

Agree that McLaughlin stabilized the line after the offensive near-debacle in Auburn, but I think the jury’s still out on him. He did well in the 2nd half of the Auburn game, in the SECCG, and the national semi-final. Not so much in the NCG. On the other hand, you have to give UGA credit for a great defense, so a lot of centers would have struggled. We’ll see how he develops in 2022.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.