UCLA and USC WILL Join the B1G in 2024

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I’m not gonna mention that the only time you’ll ever see the media go Full Moron calling the tomahawk chop “racist” is when it’s the Atlanta Braves.

KC Chiefs? Look at those enthusiastic fans!

I’ll not deny the South has a very bad racial legacy in many ways. But study after study has also been done that shows the typical East Coast news coverage immediately slants hard against the Southern US, too. We may - as a region - give off a persecution complex but there are also points where it’s absolutely correct, too.

I don’t want to push this any further into NS territory because it’s an important thread. However, I saw my Dad earlier this month and I mentioned going through the national title voted prior to Auburn getting wise and breaking the system in 1957. He said that even though you never saw and rarely heard southern teams (in Missouri) in 1957, you always knew that the northern team was going to have the votes no matter how far behind they were in any previous poll. (He also began chuckling at a memory of the fans stuffing the MLB ASG ballot box and electing a bunch of Cincinnati Reds to start. It’s a favorite memory of his).

There IS to some degree an anti-Southern bias in much of the coverage. Now I don’t want to be put in a corner with the flakes on that, but you can sit down even today and notice a change in terms subtly describing a difference of the exact same thing someone does based on geography.

Same thing here. Plus, the leader of the Big 10 is Gomer Pyle compared to his predecessor or the SEC generals (Kramer/Slive/Sankey). Kevin Warren should have been fired when that tape leaked as to why he was trying to cancel the Covid football season.

But guess what? Mark this down: in August, a bunch of publications and pundits will be writing pieces about how Warren is keeping the B1G even with the SEC and how he’s Sankey’s equal and how he’s a progressive leader with a futuristic vision.

Remember also…the big journalism school that pumps out a bunch of these mouth breathers is Northwestern, and they latch onto UM and Ohio St like the Mississippi trans chant “SEC!”
Yeah, that’s pretty spot on

Reactions: dtgreg

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Nebraska caught a lot of flak for moving from the Big 12 but jumping to the B1G looks like a genius move now.
I’ll await the “I was wrong” confessionals from everyone who for years has said “but now they’re mediocre, they should have X” by those who didn’t understand their school will be around awhile with those extra millions.

Plus, Nebraska had been trying to join the B1G since McKinley was President.

They’ll tell you themselves that “N” on the side of that helmet stands for “knowledge.”

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’ll await the “I was wrong” confessionals from everyone who for years has said “but now they’re mediocre, they should have X” by those who didn’t understand their school will be around awhile with those extra millions.

Plus, Nebraska had been trying to join the B1G since McKinley was President.

They’ll tell you themselves that “N” on the side of that helmet stands for “knowledge.”
Its not that they did it, it was the arrogance that they did it with. I mean they made the jump because they heard Missouri was flirting with leaving to go to the B1G. But really who got more out of their current situation… Mizzou or Nebraska. Had Nebraska waited and jumped to the SEC then it’s highly likely that they are still a relevant program.

The degree of arrogance that them and their fans showed about the move is and was epic. I remember living in Omaha and they were selling B1G championship tickets and giving away travel packages to Indianapolis as door prizes at the CWS the year that they joined the B1G. They were so sure that they were going to run the B1G.

I mean it was a great financial move from the start. You can’t dispute it, but at the detriment of the program’s competitive ability.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I’m not gonna mention that the only time you’ll ever see the media go Full Moron calling the tomahawk chop “racist” is when it’s the Atlanta Braves.

KC Chiefs? Look at those enthusiastic fans!

I’ll not deny the South has a very bad racial legacy in many ways. But study after study has also been done that shows the typical East Coast news coverage immediately slants hard against the Southern US, too. We may - as a region - give off a persecution complex but there are also points where it’s absolutely correct, too.

I don’t want to push this any further into NS territory because it’s an important thread. However, I saw my Dad earlier this month and I mentioned going through the national title voted prior to Auburn getting wise and breaking the system in 1957. He said that even though you never saw and rarely heard southern teams (in Missouri) in 1957, you always knew that the northern team was going to have the votes no matter how far behind they were in any previous poll. (He also began chuckling at a memory of the fans stuffing the MLB ASG ballot box and electing a bunch of Cincinnati Reds to start. It’s a favorite memory of his).

There IS to some degree an anti-Southern bias in much of the coverage. Now I don’t want to be put in a corner with the flakes on that, but you can sit down even today and notice a change in terms subtly describing a difference of the exact same thing someone does based on geography.

Same thing here. Plus, the leader of the Big 10 is Gomer Pyle compared to his predecessor or the SEC generals (Kramer/Slive/Sankey). Kevin Warren should have been fired when that tape leaked as to why he was trying to cancel the Covid football season.

But guess what? Mark this down: in August, a bunch of publications and pundits will be writing pieces about how Warren is keeping the B1G even with the SEC and how he’s Sankey’s equal and how he’s a progressive leader with a futuristic vision.

Remember also…the big journalism school that pumps out a bunch of these mouth breathers is Northwestern, and they latch onto UM and Ohio St like the Mississippi trans chant “SEC!”
Yeah, Warren is no visionary. This has fallen into his lap. To a degree, so did Texas/OU for Sankey, but again, he received no praise. I'm certain Warren will.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Guessing football evolves into a 2 conference - 48 team league.

Hoops stays very similar to what it is now. With the two mega conferences plus other power conferences like the A-10, Big East. ACC continues as a hoops and other sports conference

I think Duke and NC State stay in the ACC.

SEC picks up 5 or 6 from the ACC - UNC, UVA, FSU, Miami, Clemson and maybe VaTech.

Popcorn worthy day.
I think you are correct. For the Big Ten, they might be interested in shoring up their new connection with USC by adding more Pac 12 teams. I think they would also be very interested in UNC, Virginia, Georgia Tech, and perhaps Duke.

The SEC may have to convince UNC/UVA come along. But, as I've already deride Warren in this thread, I doubt very seriously he has the foresight to go after any ACC schools. His advisors may, however.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Two problems with Duke
  • It’s slightly smaller than Vanderbilt
  • It really only gets you accesss to the New Jersey TV market (iykyk)…
The Problem is that UNC and Virginia are the 2nd and 3rd biggest prizes after Notre Dame. Its highly likely that a package deal of UNC, Duke, Virginia, and Virginia Tech comes into place as it pretty much1) Kills the ACC and 2) preserves the rivalries. Whoever gets UNC likely makes some sort of arrangement with Duke just like whoever gets Virginia makes some sort of arrangement with Virginia Tech. More or less it sucks to be Clemson, Miami, Florida St, and Boston College right now because the adults (UNC, Virginia, and Notre Dame) are about to be making some big decisions.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
True. I think football and basketball may be okay with budgets, but all the other sports may have some travel issues (money-wise).
Not to mention the personal time and effort cost to all of the athletes and staff traveling thousands more miles for competition. I know college sports are becoming more and more an industry/occupation instead of a sport, but the extra miles, time in the air, time zone shifts for league games are going to add negatively to the stress of playing.

I expected when West Virginia joined the Big 12, they were done as a football power just based upon the extra travel stresses of playing every league away game over a thousand miles away. Flying/Travel days wear on an athlete's legs somewhat like a training day without the benefit of actual training.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Its not that they did it, it was the arrogance that they did it with. I mean they made the jump because they heard Missouri was flirting with leaving to go to the B1G.
Yeah, but:
1) I'll spot them a tiny bit on the arrogance in this case simply because Texas had literally owned them in the conference consolidation nonsense.
2) Nebraska had been trying to join the B1G since 1901
3) both MO and Nebraska (and Syracuse) put calls in to the B1G in 1990 when the leagues were falling apart.

But really who got more out of their current situation… Mizzou or Nebraska. Had Nebraska waited and jumped to the SEC then it’s highly likely that they are still a relevant program.
But what were the chances Nebraska could ever join the SEC?
MO makes sense because of KC and STL - but there are more people living in the STL city limits than in all of Nebraska.

I think Nebraska's "relevancy" is an accident of history and geography as that article you posted here several years ago argues. Those circumstances will never again exist.

The degree of arrogance that them and their fans showed about the move is and was epic. I remember living in Omaha and they were selling B1G championship tickets and giving away travel packages to Indianapolis as door prizes at the CWS the year that they joined the B1G. They were so sure that they were going to run the B1G.

I mean it was a great financial move from the start. You can’t dispute it, but at the detriment of the program’s competitive ability.
Yeah, but I think they were done for anyway. It was almost like they were the one who flipped in a major crime and got the lesser sentence plus the book deal.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Not to mention the personal time and effort cost to all of the athletes and staff traveling thousands more miles for competition. I know college sports are becoming more and more an industry/occupation instead of a sport, but the extra miles, time in the air, time zone shifts for league games are going to add negatively to the stress of playing.

I expected when West Virginia joined the Big 12, they were done as a football power just based upon the extra travel stresses of playing every league away game over a thousand miles away. Flying/Travel days wear on an athlete's legs somewhat like a training day without the benefit of actual training.
You know WVU had to take the Big 12 invite, but it has killed them. They did have an easier road in the old Big East, especially once Miami/Va Tech/Syracuse left for the ACC. But they are literally tucked into the northeast US. Travelling to the mid and southwest every other weekend has not been kind to them.

That's why I can't see USC and UCLA being the end game for the Big Ten. They will need to add some others from the Pac 12 to make travel easier for USC and UCLA.

And that takes me back to my quip about the Rose Bowl earlier. Hell, it makes sense now. The Big Ten is about to own the Rose Bowl all to itself. Just create 2 divisions of 10 teams each, one division mostly the old Pac 12. Then each winner gets that coveted Rose Bowl spot after playoff teams are picked.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yeah, but:
1) I'll spot them a tiny bit on the arrogance in this case simply because Texas had literally owned them in the conference consolidation nonsense.
2) Nebraska had been trying to join the B1G since 1901
3) both MO and Nebraska (and Syracuse) put calls in to the B1G in 1990 when the leagues were falling apart.

But what were the chances Nebraska could ever join the SEC?
MO makes sense because of KC and STL - but there are more people living in the STL city limits than in all of Nebraska.

I think Nebraska's "relevancy" is an accident of history and geography as that article you posted here several years ago argues. Those circumstances will never again exist.

Yeah, but I think they were done for anyway. It was almost like they were the one who flipped in a major crime and got the lesser sentence plus the book deal.
It made sense financially and academically but it basically killed their natural recruiting base. I mean it was a smart move but they would have been better off staying or going to the SEC.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The only way notre dame joins any conference is if they are forced to do it. Ncaa made them for basketball for tournament purposes. For some weird reason, football got a pass.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
The best moves left for the SEC are North Carolina and Virginia for obvious reasons. Notre Dame most likely will align themselves with the BIG. Two schools that would be huge however are Arizona St. and Kansas. ASU has a large enrollment and is in the Phoenix TV market. They are not that far from Texas. Kansas doesn't add much in market size but helps boost the impact of having Missouri in the SEC.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
Notre Dame has a long, bad history with the Big 10. During the Rockne era, they were turned away from admission. Then they became more powerful than the Big 10 and shunned THEM. A few years ago they could have negotiated from a position of strength but now they are basically hat-in-hand. Poor management.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Notre Dame has a long, bad history with the Big 10. During the Rockne era, they were turned away from admission. Then they became more powerful than the Big 10 and shunned THEM. A few years ago they could have negotiated from a position of strength but now they are basically hat-in-hand. Poor management.
Where this headed both will be forced to swallow some pride.

Reactions: dtgreg

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
notre dame half joining the acc killed their annual michigan and michigan state series, every now and then they do play. Same will happen with usc.
USC is different. There are 3 games Notre Dame absolutely does not want to give up. USC, Stanford, and Navy.

USC is Notre Dame's most historically significant rivalry. Plus there is the added benefit of the every other year trip to California. Stanford means so much because they play them in California when they have USC at home. So those 2 games give Notre Dame a recruiting edge of playing in Cali every season.

Navy is historically significant. There is a special arrangement between them and Notre Dame, dating back to WWII. I could see them giving that game up on an annual basis, but they would be loathe to do so.

Notre Dame's Big Ten rivalries were significant, but that was mainly Michigan State and Purdue. They never played Michigan much until the 1980s. But none of them offered any sort of recruiting aid, so they were easier to give up.

The Big Ten does now have a significant feather in its cap with regards to Notre Dame, with their addition of USC. They could really leverage that by also bringing in Stanford, assuming Stanford is interested in any way. I think it bears watching. Right now, if Notre Dame is to join a conference fully, I'd give the Big Ten the best chance, followed by the ACC, and then the SEC a distant 3rd. There is simply no common ground between the SEC and Notre Dame. Only money. The Big Ten can offer that plus all the tradition.

Last edited:
Reactions: Con and dtgreg

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.