TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Overly dramatic?

Maybe.

But maybe not...

Copy for non-twitter folks:
View attachment 26212
Not overly dramatic at all. There WILL be casualties here, and not programs being left behind. I mean programs going away altogether.

Folks need to study what was going on at Alabama during the 1990s at the President level. We had a President then who was openly hostile to the athletic department in general and the football program specifically. This was because, in his mind, it took away from the University's mission as an institution of higher learning.

Now, you multiply that by 100 to get the true feelings of administrators at places like Cal-Berkeley. Again, we need only look a couple of years back to see how these people were playing things leading up to the 2020 football season. They wanted it to be cancelled. And NOT because of player safety in the wake of the pandemic.

I feel for the fans of teams like Cal. But... you chose to be a Cal fan in the first place...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If your program is potentially coming to an end because your biggest rival changed conferences, then maybe you don't have much of a program to begin with...
Well I’m just thinking on whether or not Florida St, Clemson, Miami, Boston College, Kansas, and Oregon can realistically hold up 2 conferences or one combined conferences on their own. I keep thinking that it will be a big fat No especially if the SEC and B1G attempt to run a league outside of the NCAA like they are angling towards. It seems like Vanderbilt, South Carolina, and Rutgers hit the lotto and FSU, Ga Tech, and Clemson are going to be those teams that will regret prior administrations that rejected the SEC.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Not overly dramatic at all. There WILL be casualties here, and not programs being left behind. I mean programs going away altogether.

Folks need to study what was going on at Alabama during the 1990s at the President level. We had a President then who was openly hostile to the athletic department in general and the football program specifically. This was because, in his mind, it took away from the University's mission as an institution of higher learning.

Now, you multiply that by 100 to get the true feelings of administrators at places like Cal-Berkeley. Again, we need only look a couple of years back to see how these people were playing things leading up to the 2020 football season. They wanted it to be cancelled. And NOT because of player safety in the wake of the pandemic.

I feel for the fans of teams like Cal. But... you chose to be a Cal fan in the first place...

This is like when the North Side (Bugs Moran) and South Side (Al Capone) Gangs lit up Chicago during Prohibition.

Question is - who will be the victims of the St. Sankey's Day Massacre?

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
Kind of seems ridiculous. But Rutgers to the Big Ten was kinda silly too. Good luck to those who havee to travel three time zones to play a game. Especially if is back to back. I would have thought they’d make a real push for ND and another. Kansas for basketball or maybe Okie State? But whatever. People are getting desperate.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
To me one thing that’s different than where it was 10 years ago, is that if we end up with two super conferences with 20+ teams, markets no longer matter. Because you will have an NFL-esque situation.

Clemson is a New Blood Champion
FSU and Miami have football cred and championships.

UVA and UNC are hoops schools and have minimal impact

Raleigh, Charlotte and Richmond will watch the same amount of football regardless of what conference they are in B1G, SEC or a mid-major ACC

Recruiting hotbeds and Ratings points will matter less with 2 Super-Conferences.

Perhaps I’m being naive, but if football gets down to <50 teams, Clemson, FSU, Miami, Va Tech, and Oregon will have more draw on a Saturday than a UVA, UNC, or Duke ever would.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
To me one thing that’s different than where it was 10 years ago, is that if we end up with two super conferences with 20+ teams, markets no longer matter. Because you will have an NFL-esque situation.

Clemson is a New Blood Champion
FSU and Miami have football cred and championships.

UVA and UNC are hoops schools and have minimal impact

Raleigh, Charlotte and Richmond will watch the same amount of football regardless of what conference they are in B1G, SEC or a mid-major ACC

Recruiting hotbeds and Ratings points will matter less with 2 Super-Conferences.

Perhaps I’m being naive, but if football gets down to <50 teams, Clemson, FSU, Miami, Va Tech, and Oregon will have more draw on a Saturday than a UVA, UNC, or Duke ever would.
That’s what I’ve been thinking.

UNC vs. Georgia barely moves the needle.

Clemson vs. Georgia though?

Reactions: Con

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
So it’s being reported, by Dennis Dodd no less, that the Big Ten has told Oregon and Washington it is standing pat for now as it awaits a decision from Notre Dame.

Ok, so apparently they’ve asked Notre Dame to join. Because unless USC’s move means they would end the annual series with ND, I see no reason why any of this would motivate Notre Dame to make a move.

I have seen reports that the SEC is going to be able to distribute up to 90 million per team after Texas and OU join. I’ve seen further reports that the Big Ten with USC and UCLA expects to beat that number. And finally, I have read that Notre Dame makes 15 million annually from NBC.

The math would lead you to believe Notre Dame has to join either the SEC or the B1G. We know what the ACC is bringing in is paltry compared to the SEC and B1G. We know Notre Dame is not entirely motivated by money as well. Hey, I give them credit for that. But I’m also tired of their pseudo Independence.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So it’s being reported, by Dennis Dodd no less, that the Big Ten has told Oregon and Washington it is standing pat for now as it awaits a decision from Notre Dame.

Ok, so apparently they’ve asked Notre Dame to join. Because unless USC’s move means they would end the annual series with ND, I see no reason why any of this would motivate Notre Dame to make a move.

I have seen reports that the SEC is going to be able to distribute up to 90 million per team after Texas and OU join. I’ve seen further reports that the Big Ten with USC and UCLA expects to beat that number. And finally, I have read that Notre Dame makes 15 million annually from NBC.

The math would lead you to believe Notre Dame has to join either the SEC or the B1G. We know what the ACC is bringing in is paltry compared to the SEC and B1G. We know Notre Dame is not entirely motivated by money as well. Hey, I give them credit for that. But I’m also tired of their pseudo Independence.
I fully expect Notre Dame and Stanford will be a package deal of some sort. Washington would be team #3. The question is really who gets that 4th seat out of Oregon and everyone else.

It’s not a question of if the ACC breaks it’s a WHEN it breaks. People are going to wait for the music to stop to find a chair and I fully expect the idea of having North Carolina and Kentucky have a consistent basketball matchups may make ESPN play deal maker. I just don’t see Notre Dame drawing a line in the sand for long.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I fully expect Notre Dame and Stanford will be a package deal of some sort. Washington would be team #3. The question is really who gets that 4th seat out of Oregon and everyone else.

It’s not a question of if the ACC breaks it’s a WHEN it breaks. People are going to wait for the music to stop to find a chair and I fully expect the idea of having North Carolina and Kentucky have a consistent basketball matchups may make ESPN play deal maker. I just don’t see Notre Dame drawing a line in the sand for long.
That must be what Notre Dame is currently dealing with. The grant of rights deal with the ACC. I don’t know what their penalty would be for breaking that. I suspect, however, that it’s less than the rest of the ACC.

I’m just really having trouble with the idea of UNC right now. And Virginia. I get the demographics. I get the academic prestige. But the football? It’s not as if they are Rutgers, but they aren’t near USC or Notre Dame. And they are not Clemson either (and I’m not advocating Clemson).

Annual UNC vs UK in basketball? Sure. But they play every year anyway, just in December, not February/March.

Reactions: rolltd

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
That must be what Notre Dame is currently dealing with. The grant of rights deal with the ACC. I don’t know what their penalty would be for breaking that. I suspect, however, that it’s less than the rest of the ACC.

I’m just really having trouble with the idea of UNC right now. And Virginia. I get the demographics. I get the academic prestige. But the football? It’s not as if they are Rutgers, but they aren’t near USC or Notre Dame. And they are not Clemson either (and I’m not advocating Clemson).

Annual UNC vs UK in basketball? Sure. But they play every year anyway, just in December, not February/March.
I get what you are saying about UNC and UVA but the SEC has more than enough football powers. This expansion, if there is one, will be about TV sets and it gives basketball a boost as well. That's why I think Kansas and Arizona St. will get a look.

Reactions: dtgreg

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
The current ESPN/ACC deal could be what pushes North Carolina and other ACC schools towards the SEC if/when they start to look around. I expect Notre Dale to join the Big 10 eventually. I just don’t see them being in the SEC but I also. Never would have thought USC and UCLA would join the Big 10. If Texas and Oklahoma would not have left the Big 12 for the SEC last year do you all think any of this would be happening?

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
If I am the SEC, I don't necessarily care who the programs are locally so long as I can land a SEC team every weekend in the DC and Charlotte markets. The SEC has brands like Alabama that can be expanded nationally. I just don't see how the addition of Clemson, FSU, or Miami do anything for the conference.

Reactions: dtgreg and BamaMoon

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
The current ESPN/ACC deal could be what pushes North Carolina and other ACC schools towards the SEC if/when they start to look around. I expect Notre Dale to join the Big 10 eventually. I just don’t see them being in the SEC but I also. Never would have thought USC and UCLA would join the Big 10. If Texas and Oklahoma would not have left the Big 12 for the SEC last year do you all think any of this would be happening?
It's Ali-Frazier with the gloves off.

Reactions: dtgreg

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
If I am the SEC, I don't necessarily care who the programs are locally so long as I can land a SEC team every weekend in the DC and Charlotte markets. The SEC has brands like Alabama that can be expanded nationally. I just don't see how the addition of Clemson, FSU, or Miami do anything for the conference.
Those 3 add nothing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.