UFL (A J McCarron's Team)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I have been watching the UFL, not because it is great football, but because it is football in April.
My favorite of the former XFL teams in probably St. Louis, because AJ is their QB.
In today's game, St. Louis is up 17-9 in the 3rd. AJ throws a good wide receiver screen. Wide receiver catches the ball, runs into his blocker, and fumbles.
On the ensuing San Antonio possession, a St. Louis DB sees a wide receiver screen developing and tackles the receiver for a ten yard loss. On 3rd and 20, the San Antonio QB rolls right, and decides to run. No way he is going to pick up 20, so he is heading out of bounds after a 5 yard gain. Two St. Louis defenders are barreling towards him as he is headed out of bounds. I'm thinking, "Oh, no, don't hit him out of bounds, don't hit him out of bounds, don't..." Boom. Both defenders hit the QB out of bounds. Late hit, 15 yards, automatic first down. You could see it coming from a mile away.
I really hate stupid football.
If I was the coach, I'd tell those guys, "Wanna know why you are playing in the UFL for thousands of dollars a game instead of in the NFL for millions? Right there. That is why."

The Birmingham Stallions look good, however, at 3-0 ...

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
I have been watching the UFL, not because it is great football, but because it is football in April.
My favorite of the former XFL teams in probably St. Louis, because AJ is their QB.
In today's game, St. Louis is up 17-9 in the 3rd. AJ throws a good wide receiver screen. Wide receiver catches the ball, runs into his blocker, and fumbles.
On the ensuing San Antonio possession, a St. Louis DB sees a wide receiver screen developing and tackles the receiver for a ten yard loss. On 3rd and 20, the San Antonio QB rolls right, and decides to run. No way he is going to pick up 20, so he is heading out of bounds after a 5 yard gain. Two St. Louis defenders are barreling towards him as he is headed out of bounds. I'm thinking, "Oh, no, don't hit him out of bounds, don't hit him out of bounds, don't..." Boom. Both defenders hit the QB out of bounds. Late hit, 15 yards, automatic first down. You could see it coming from a mile away.
If I was the coach, I'd tell those guys, "Wanna know why you are playing in the UFL for thousands of dollars a game instead of in the NFL for millions? Right there. That is why."

Me too…..which is why I don’t watch AUbrun play 😎

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Near the end of the first half, one of the players did not line up correctly so AJ had to call a time out so they could kick a field goal instead of scoring a TD.
AJ was really angry, so angry, his coach told him to chill out.
It reminded me of AJ's shoving Barrett in the national championship game. Fiercely competitive guy. Still.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
I actually like Birmingham. Like you said, Tidewater, it's football this time of year. Got to respect what the Stallions have done. I remember thinking when they named Holtz head coach " oh no. " Son of a gun, he has done a great job.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Near the end of the first half, one of the players did not line up correctly so AJ had to call a time out so they could kick a field goal instead of scoring a TD.
AJ was really angry, so angry, his coach told him to chill out.
It reminded me of AJ's shoving Barrett in the national championship game. Fiercely competitive guy. Still.
That's probably always going to be a Top 5 non-play related moment for me.

To be absolutely destroying a team in the NCG on the way to winning 3 out of 4 NC's but also not settling for anything less than Perfect Play Execution until no time is left.

Can you imagine if AJ was having to deal with last year's snap issues....lol

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

To be absolutely destroying a team in the NCG on the way to winning 3 out of 4 NC's but also not settling for anything less than Perfect Play Execution until no time is left.

We would have won our 19th title…

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I actually like Birmingham. Like you said, Tidewater, it's football this time of year. Got to respect what the Stallions have done. I remember thinking when they named Holtz head coach " oh no. Son of a gun, he has done a great job.
I agree. Holtz has done well in Bham.
I like the audio feed during a UFL broadcast. You get to hear what the coach is saying to the players, what play the QB is saying in the huddle. It makes the experience more interesting. It is on a five second delay, so any salty language comes out as silence, but when they are not using harsh language, it is interesting to hear the "Inside Baseball" audio.
I also like the 1, 2, or 3-point option after a touchdown. It keeps games interesting.
Saturday, Washington was down 10 with 54 second to play. They scored a TD, got two, did and onside kick (replaced in the UFL by a 4th and 12 at their own 28 yard line), made a few big plays and kicked the game-winning FG on the last play.

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I’ve enjoyed watching the Stallions over the last couple of years. The USFL was turning a profit. The XFL, however, was a money pit. I thought it was a bad deal for the USFL to merge and hopefully I’m proven wrong. I thought they should’ve stayed separate and let the xfl tank. Then their league would’ve owned the spring market without the merger.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
It was AJ "crazy legs" McCarron today. That is the most I have ever seen him run. I have followed the Battlehawks and the Stallions for a couple of years. Actually, I have enjoyed watching them more than the NFL.

Reactions: TideATL70 and Con

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
AJ had a good game. The Battlehhawks tweeted something like "Death, taxes and AJ McCarron scoring TDs" and AJ's brother Corey responded and said something like "Oh, brother. We'll never hear the end of this" (implying AJ will gloat about it to them). 😁

• Haha
Reactions: TideATL70 and Con

CrimsonBloodn62

1st Team
Feb 1, 2002
Tuscumbia, AL

Yea, Seth would have been spending a lot of time with the trainer for having a bruised butt. Lol

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

I was looking through info on the Houston Roughnecks yesterday, and saw that Rueben Foster plays for Houston.

Reactions: TideATL70

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

My BIL was a nationally ranked tennis player when he was in college. He told me that when you reach a certain level in any sport, EVERYBODY has the physical tools to play. It`s what goes on, or doesn`t, between the ears that differentiates people.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
My BIL was a nationally ranked tennis player when he was in college. He told me that when you reach a certain level in any sport, EVERYBODY has the physical tools to play. It`s what goes on, or doesn`t, between the ears that differentiates people.
This particular play and the on by Vontez Burfict when he was playing for the Bengals are cases in point. The UFL play kept a stalled drive alive (the other team would eventually score).

On the other end of the spectrum is this play by Cobb:
hqdefault.jpeg
He knew the rules and they guided him to a great play. Step out of bounds, then touch the ball = kickoff out of bounds, 1st and 10 at the 40. Smart.
I love me some smart football.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: B1GTide and Con

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This particular play and the on by Vontez Burfict when he was playing for the Bengals are cases in point. The UFL play kept a stalled drive alive (the other team would eventually score).

On the other end of the spectrum is this play by Cobb:
View attachment 41875
He knew the rules and they guided him to a great play. Step out of bounds, then touch the ball = kickoff out of bounds, 1st and 10 at the 40. Smart.
I love me some smart football.
One of our players did the exact thing last year. I didn't know that rule and I thought he messed up, but it was a penalty against the kicker.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads