Update on possible upgrades to Coleman Coliseum ...

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
The last time I spoke to Red, he said that the Coleman renovation wouldn't happen until it was fully funded, but that was also before we made it to the Sweet Sixteen.

• Thank You
Reactions: BAMAVILLE

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just tear the place down and build something the team/fans can be proud of. Quit trying to put lipstick on a pig and trying to get votes for the pig to be prom queen.
You want a prom queen then build one.
It’s served it’s time. I agree. Build something to build a program around.
I know there's the little issue of money, but overall I agree.

I'm not sure what else can be done to Coleman to make it better.

Reactions: The Ols

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I agree build a new building. Sometimes it can be cheaper to build a new building rather than renovate. When you renovate you will just end up doing it again in 3-4 years.

Plus from the architects perspective.

Sometimes architects don't even make a profit from renovations. Sometimes they even lose money.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
A $600 million budget is more than a facelift to Coleman.
Is the $600 million just for Coleman, or is it for other sports, too?

There’s no question that the best solution is scrape and build something different.

If that money is just for Coleman, I agree that it could be torn down and replaced for far less than $600 million. If it’s for Coleman and a bunch of other stuff, that’s a different story.

Several years ago, I was told by someone who would know that the difference between renovation vs. demo / rebuild was about $150 - $175 million. At the time I think Johnson was the coach, and there was serious question as to the ability of the program to justify that.

With Oats, I’d have to think (1) that line of thought would no longer apply, and (2) several years after the original statement, the difference is now $200 million+.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

There’s no question that the best solution is scrape and build something different.

If that money is just for Coleman, I agree that it could be torn down and replaced for far less than $600 million. If it’s for Coleman and a bunch of other stuff, that’s a different story.

Several years ago, I was told by someone who would know that the difference between renovation vs. demo / rebuild was about $150 - $175 million. At the time I think Johnson was the coach, and there was serious question as to the ability of the program to justify that.

With Oats, I’d have to think (1) that line of thought would no longer apply, and (2) several years after the original statement, the difference is now $200 million+.
Good question, I have to double-check but I thought I read another source that it was for all sports with Saban Field at Bryant Denny Stadium getting a good chunk for renovations.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

Looks like the Quonset hut stays

ETA. Asbestos was still widely used when Coleman was built. Demo would be more expensive as a result. Also lead paint

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: BAMAVILLE

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Thanks for sharing TexasBama ... I kinda figured they would take advantage of the space to do:

• Dedicated club seats
• Multiple lounge spaces
• A distinctive courtside club – providing a game-day experience that will not be matched in the Southeastern Conference (SEC)
• The renovation looks to add unique club areas, social zones, and student spaces for fans entering Coleman Coliseum.
I'm thinking its making it look more like an NBA venue allowing the money spenders to have a quality experience as well as enhancing the student section experience at the same time. We will see how it goes

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
New. Arena.

Anything less demonstrates they still don't get it and still don't care to be serious about being a player in basketball. Hopefully we'll get a final 4 and maybe title before Coach Oats moves on to somewhere that is.

I'm sorry. When Auburn and Ole Miss can build new arenas, I'm not going to accept any explanation that says we can't. I realize materials prices have changed since then. They will continue to change. You either act or you let the moment continue to pass you by.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa

From what I've heard, the $600 million is for Phase 2, not just Coleman Coliseum.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
If it was 600 million just for Coleman, that is a crapload of money for one building. What the hell would they be building it out of? Titanium?
Jerry's World was 1.2 billion 15 years ago. Toyota Center was 235 million 20 years ago. Kyle Field redo was 450 million almost 10 years ago. These things are expensive.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The next arena I design will be my first since a 3rd grade art project.

Still, I have to believe that yet another renovation (there have already been at least three) would only have to be revisited in 7-10 years. At which time, a scrape / rebuild would be even more expensive.

With:
- Money rolling into the Athletic Department via football’s success under Saban, and
- Oats’ promise, and
- Historically low interest rates if you have to issue bonds to cover a gap,
we’ll never have a better opportunity than now to fix the problem….as opposed to putting a band-aid on a compound fracture.

Coleman (then Memorial) was opened in 1969. Its predecessor, Foster Auditorium, was opened in 1939. So Foster was 30 years old when it was mothballed.

Acknowledging several renovations in the interim, Coleman is now 52 years old. It was state of the art in 1969. Only because of the renovations, it’s not yet an embarrassment. But it is getting there now.

Don’t put good money after bad. Build a new one.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.