USA Today: Break up Saban's Monopoly

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
Yeah, I don't think any of those would have mattered and it is whiney. Now for 2021, I will say this and it could make things interesting: all four QBs that were in the playoffs are leaving school, and that should leave an opportunity for some new blood to make the playoffs.

bamafan76

1st Team
Sep 19, 2004
Kenner, LA
while I won’t give the writer the satisfaction of clicking, I will comment on just the thread title alone and say how many coordinators and other staff members has Coach gone lost in his UA tenure and has still continued success year in and year out? To me that doesn’t constitute a monopoly...

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
None of the things he listed would work except for forcing Saban into retirement, which we all know would be illegal. Let's face it. People want to be associated with winners in life and Coach Saban is about the winningest person I know.

Reactions: NCRollTider

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Coach Bryant and ALL the Great coaches before him are smiling. I recall that in the mid to late 70s....the ncaa, national media, etc, ....had a similar narrative. Something NEEDS to be done about unfair advantages. Less scholarships was one thing that happened. They decided once (1974) that schools in DIV 1 could dress only 60 players for a home game...and a Visiting team could only dress 48. Coach Bryant sued the ncaa. When CPB was on the stand..he was asked what his real reason for objecting to a lesser amount of players. He stated that in upcoming years..Bama would be visiting stadiums like USC and ND. He said that he couldnt imagine getting only 48 players to go to South Bend by themselves.😆😆 The ncaa did reduce scholarships in the next year or two. Happened again a few years later but for different reasons I think.
This is not a new mentality folks. CPB dealt with it as well. Sorry for babbling about the article. Just got me thinking about how the 'issues or non-issues of today seem to me to be same as 50 yrs ago.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Guy doesnt mention that Saban didnt get to the pinnacle by the vacation route. But again....seems 'tongue-in-cheek' up to a point. When expansion became his issue...I thought differently. Well.....I would never have known what a USA Today writer said unless posted here. I cant think of a media source I think less of....well maybe the NYT..but it really doesnt matter.

Last edited:

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
You get a participation trophy... you get a participation trophy...and you get a participation trophy. Participation trophies for all!!!

• Haha
Reactions: bamafan76

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
What a wimpy, whiny article.

Schrotenboer's soft mentality is a large art of what's wrong with the world today.

I'd be mortified to even think this way, much less publish an article about it. SMH
He sounds like a guy that got the “atomic wedgie” every day at school because he was constantly whining “it’s not fair”.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Guy doesnt mention that Saban didnt get to the pinnacle by the vacation route. But again....seems 'tongue-in-cheek' up to a point. When expansion became his issue...I thought differently. Well.....I would never have known what a USA Today writer said unless posted here. I cant think of a media source I think less of....well maybe the NYT..but it really doesnt matter.
Really, that's his issue. How would expansion change anything? Just means 1 more blow out Bama would have had to play before winning it all. The people that think expansion will create more diversity in champions are really dumb. It hasn't done that at any level of college football to date.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill from NYC

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.