USC-Utah. Points added after the game.

Lassr4Bama

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Hazel Green, AL
The Utah/USC game ended with USC blocking a FG to preserve a 17-14 win, and running it back for a TD. At the end of the game, the officials said the TD didn't count because they called an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty (the USC players all rushed the field when the kick was blocked), so the final score stayed at 17-14. Hours after the fact, the Pac12 came out and said that the TD did count, and changed the official score to 23-14.

That's a really dangerous precedent they just set. The NCAA rule for this year is any unsportsmanlike contact before a TD negates the TD. I absolutely HATE the rule but how can a conference go back and add a TD if the rule was followed? Am I missing something here?

So if a interception happens on the last play of the game, the defensive players starts high stepping and puts his hand behind his head as he waltzes into the end zone for the winning TD but the ref calls unsportsmanlike conduct and negates the TD and they lose. Does the league come back and reverse the outcome? What if that blocked punt was for the win and not just for more points?

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Sounds like a scenario the barn will use to win the next game they "lose".

Why would a conference office even go there since the offending team had already won the game? Seriously though, it seems like a dangerous precedent for a conference office to set. I hope the SEC is smart enough to stay away from that type of action.

RollTideMustang

3rd Team
Aug 27, 2011
Killen, Alabama
www.myyearbook.com
I total afree not right at all. This just proves how the NCAA acts like they are above law & unfairness. A perfect example Miami which we all know they will more & likely get the DEATH penalty. The bowls & games will just be erased like it never happened of which you know darn well it did by witness of thousands to millions of people. The fact is the NCAA acts like a police state you do what they say or you get a penalty.

GMacFan

Suspended
Oct 3, 2009
Taking away a touchdown is a stupid penalty, the touchdown should always count and any celebration penalty should be enforced after the TD. Still don't like the precedent adding points after a game is over sets, but IMO USC deserved those points and 23-14 is the right score.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Taking away a touchdown is a stupid penalty, the touchdown should always count and any celebration penalty should be enforced after the TD. Still don't like the precedent adding points after a game is over sets, but IMO USC deserved those points and 23-14 is the right score.
No, USC deserves Lane Kiffin.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Does the game end if time is expiring and the defense gets a penalty? If so, then the INT for a game winning TD scenario is very real scenario. Playing is going in for the game winning TD and gets flagged for celebration, no TD, game over. That's BS!

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
Does the game end if time is expiring and the defense gets a penalty? If so, then the INT for a game winning TD scenario is very real scenario. Playing is going in for the game winning TD and gets flagged for celebration, no TD, game over. That's BS!
I don't care how stupid a rule is (and I think everyone knows what I think of the NCAA), it's still a rule, the players know it's a rule, and when they break it they should pay the price.
This is not an argument about the sanity or rightness/wrongness of the rule; it is what it is, and just saying "It ain't right and we're not gonna follow it", as far as rules of the game go, is totally unacceptable. You either have rules for playing the game, or you don't.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
If Utah had blocked a USC FG, and ran it back...........called back, for "unsportsmanlike", and the game ended, with USC winning, would they have reversed it, and given the win to Utah?

Dumb rule............followed by dumber precedent.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I don't care how stupid a rule is (and I think everyone knows what I think of the NCAA), it's still a rule, the players know it's a rule, and when they break it they should pay the price.
This is not an argument about the sanity or rightness/wrongness of the rule; it is what it is, and just saying "It ain't right and we're not gonna follow it", as far as rules of the game go, is totally unacceptable. You either have rules for playing the game, or you don't.
Well said. I wish I could be that succint.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.